BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should have bought that fancy desktop a couple of weeks ago!

@Hooovahh wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

My 4.something MHz could switch to 8.something MHz with a Turbo button... I think it was a good old 8088.

Are you sure you don't have that backwards?  I never owned one but I was told the turbo button actually would underclock the CPU, so software that relied on the clock precision would run normally.

Yes the turbo button was typically left on (either in or out, because that was not standardized but there was typically a frequency display for visual feedback), but it's not due to "clock precision" (whatever that means, both speeds were precise 😉 )), but software that only had timing based on clock cycles (instead of a real clock), would run twice as fast as the programmer intended.

Quote from here: "Games in particular were often rendered unplayable".

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(2,450 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

I didn't have any malware problems on Windows 10, except M$'s own crap.

I will never own an XBox or play candy crush saga. Stop bothering me with it.

Oh I totally get this.  ShutUp10 is software I've used in the past for controlling privacy settings, which also disables automatically downloading stuff. 

ShutUp10, Gold Microsoft Partner 😂.

<Enter some smart comment about multinationals and their partners here. Too many options...>

I might give it a try.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(2,448 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

but it's not due to "clock precision" (whatever that means, both speeds were precise 😉 )), but software that only had timing based on clock cycles (instead of a real clock), would run twice as fast as the programmer intended.

Yeah sorry that's what I meant.  Clock precision wasn't the correct term.  It had to be precisely 4MHz, and by that I mean not double that, otherwise your character, music, and enemy speed would be too fast.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(2,435 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

but it's not due to "clock precision" (whatever that means, both speeds were precise 😉 )), but software that only had timing based on clock cycles (instead of a real clock), would run twice as fast as the programmer intended.

Yeah sorry that's what I meant.  Clock precision wasn't the correct term.  It had to be precisely 4MHz, and by that I mean not double that, otherwise your character, music, and enemy speed would be too fast.

Music?

All I had was a speaker that did 'bleep'. Of course we could PWM it to get some 'melody' 🙂.

We could do the same with the 'A' disk drive.

All I did was program, so I usually had the turbo off.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(2,356 Views)