BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rube Goldberg Code

Ray.R wrote:  I'm sure some delay value should be wired to the input.

And even a dely of 0ms has an effect.  It causes the thread to release so the CPU looks for other actions to takeSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 641 of 2,571
(11,450 Views)

Ray.R wrote:

Not sure what the intent of the code is or why the TRUE constant Boolean.  There's no need for the Exclusive OR when using a TRUE constant.

Let's not mention the fact that the loop may run once or forever depending on the initial value for sensor.  I always use Express VI's, I'm lovin it. They have increased my Labview skills by several magnitudes  

The Boolean gymnastic were perhaps somewhat strange. But the user have set the time delay inside the Express VI to 4 seconds. With Express VIs you click to configure. The Rube code in this was the Express VI it self. All Express VIs are Rube code. And should therefore be deleted

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
Message 642 of 2,571
(11,435 Views)

I have to agree with you Coq.  (or is that M. Rouge?)

Just goes to show how little I've used Express VI's.  I think I tried it once and that VI died of loneliness..

I know I'm not the only one in this situation because 2 or 3 years ago, the Champions lost during NI week because they didn't know much about Express VI's.  LOL!

(did they loose?  Can't remember... but they didn't know Express VI answers)  😉

0 Kudos
Message 643 of 2,571
(11,421 Views)

Ray.R wrote:

I know I'm not the only one in this situation because 2 or 3 years ago, the Champions lost during NI week because they didn't know much about Express VI's.  LOL!

(did they loose?  Can't remember... but they didn't know Express VI answers)  😉

Is it anything to know about them, beside how to delete them. Did the Champions not know that?

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
Message 644 of 2,571
(11,412 Views)

Coq Rouge a écrit: 

Is it anything to know about them, beside how to delete them. Did the Champions not know that?

May be how to remove them from the functions palette ?

0 Kudos
Message 645 of 2,571
(11,403 Views)

I was taken down a peg this morning as my potential solution lost out to some RG code.  Spotted here. (I shrank a little for snipping purposes)

BooleanRG.png

Well the snippet is allergic to locals.  The property node is a local to set the array to all false in case the first iteration is too slow.  If we vote for the idea to hide the iteration terminal it could help, no use for that in this VI  Smiley Wink .  Six case structures contain individual boolean array constants.  The OP wanted 10 LEDs, perhaps the author figured we got the idea with only 5 in this example (the idea perhaps that there must be a better way).

Message 646 of 2,571
(11,394 Views)

Does Andy work for NI?  He has the blue rectangle...

Message 647 of 2,571
(11,389 Views)

Ray.R wrote:

Does Andy work for NI?  He has the blue rectangle...

That exact thought passed through my mind, I think that is what made me go from taking a double-take at the code to a triple-take.  My guess is marketing or upper management.  Smiley Very Happy

Certainly not tech support, they really saved my bacon this week so they are spared from all snide comments.

Actually, I have very vague recollections of reading a post once that mentioned that email address that start with '@ni' trigger the blue bars regardless of what completes the address.  Maybe that is still true.

0 Kudos
Message 648 of 2,571
(11,383 Views)

I found some very nice little Rubes today, here...

rubes abound!.PNG

First of all, anyone want to guess why we're taking a 1D array (the output of DAQmx Read, N chan N samp, 1D waveform) and resizing it to a....1D array???

Then, we decide we'd better turn it into a cluster, then unbundle it...

...then we take all of our separate data arrays and format them into strings...

...then concatenate the strings.

Now let's look at that case structure.  It's the ever popular use-a-boolean-to-select-the-same-boolean-value-contained-in-the-original-wire trick!  The "true" case does the same thing, but uses a different number for the "greater or equal" comparison.

Now, we could have written it like this:

bye rubes.PNG

But that isn't very much fun.

We also could, perhaps, have used the "2D DBL" instance of DAQmx Read, and skipped all the get-the-data-arrays-out-of-the-waveforms operations, but it looks like he uses at least one of those waveforms for something else so maybe he does need them. 

0 Kudos
Message 649 of 2,571
(11,185 Views)
Found in "virtual life" here

Needs a Nav- WindowNeeds Nav window.png

Comments
  • Never use unbundle for a type def cluster.  use the unbundle by name to improve readability
  • The =0 cases were not necessary at all as then you immidiatly compared to see if it was a 0x01,0x10 or 0x40. I removed them.
  • The index array function can be expanded by dragging the bottom of the icon down. It improves readability and reduces clutter.
  • Why were you using DBLs to represent a count?  I changed to U32s And I can change te representation of the indicators to make sense(hex display)  Same with the comments,  when you express a number as hex use either 0xFF or 80h to make it clear.
  • The connector pane (OUCH)!  see the differance?  use the 4:2:2:4 as a default- if you need more terminals rethink your code structure.  There arecases for more bu you really should ask "Can I do this simpler?" first.
  • Boolean Case structures that use the output of Comparision (e.g. = functions) are not self-documenting and are always rube-goldberg code!  Note that I use the value as the case selector."

Check-fxd.png

"Result: Code is clean compact and readable without the Navagation window"
Message Edited by Jeff Bohrer on 04-06-2010 09:28 PM

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 650 of 2,571
(11,171 Views)