BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rube Goldberg Code

Highlighted

@LV_Pro wrote:

Ah Jira and Scrum meetings. We were always throwing our scrum cards out to "estimate" the time that something would take, and I was always protesting that not enough information was being given before I was to vote. It ended up with me usually being the highest time estimate.


Oh I know what that's like.  Here is a post over on my stories thread where after weeks of back and forth and discussion and trimming the price, the sales guys just gave it to them for half off what we estimated it would cost.

0 Kudos
Message 2181 of 2,222
(1,186 Views)
Highlighted

Parsing a time substring can be hard (or easy!).

 

Seen here.

 

altenbach_0-1588185749203.png


LabVIEW Champion. It all comes together in GCentral GCentral
What does "Engineering Redefined" mean??
Message 2182 of 2,222
(1,099 Views)
Highlighted

Ways to check if a 3x3 tic tac toe position is a win

 

Left side is implemented as two subVIs. One for the diagonals and the second for rows or columns, called twice, once with transposed input (seen here).

 

There are suspicions that things could be simplified, of course (right side is one possibility). 😄

 

altenbach_0-1588276829942.png

 

 


LabVIEW Champion. It all comes together in GCentral GCentral
What does "Engineering Redefined" mean??
Message 2183 of 2,222
(1,082 Views)
Highlighted

I wonder if this code fragment could be simplified in some way??? 😄

 

altenbach_0-1588880718167.png

 

Seen here

 

(Yes, there are many more doozies in there, just look at my comments, they are only the tip of the iceberg)

 

 


LabVIEW Champion. It all comes together in GCentral GCentral
What does "Engineering Redefined" mean??
Message 2184 of 2,222
(998 Views)
Highlighted

I need a LED to turn on whenever a DBL value is larger than 10.

 

 

Would this work(seen here)? Can it be simplified further? 😮 😄

 

altenbach_0-1589826753491.png

 


LabVIEW Champion. It all comes together in GCentral GCentral
What does "Engineering Redefined" mean??
Message 2185 of 2,222
(899 Views)
Highlighted

@altenbach wrote:

I need a LED to turn on whenever a DBL value is larger than 10.

 

 

Would this work(seen here)? Can it be simplified further? 😮 😄


This is borderline "Programming by Coincidence" instead of RG.  I can only imagine he just started trying things until he got something with roughly the expected behavior and moved on.

Message 2186 of 2,222
(869 Views)
Highlighted

@BowenM wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

I need a LED to turn on whenever a DBL value is larger than 10.

Would this work(seen here)? Can it be simplified further? 😮 😄


This is borderline "Programming by Coincidence" instead of RG.  I can only imagine he just started trying things until he got something with roughly the expected behavior and moved on.


"Programming by Coincidence" sounds fascinating, like a human version of machine learning. But I would say the code looks too neat to have been developed that way.

To me it looks like a student posted a homework question and an experienced developer came up with a creative rube to give him code that produces the correct output, but would still earn him a fail on his homework task.

Either that or someone is trolling, deliberately trying to get on this thread. 🤔

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
0 Kudos
Message 2187 of 2,222
(860 Views)
Highlighted

@TroyK wrote:

@BowenM wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

I need a LED to turn on whenever a DBL value is larger than 10.

Would this work(seen here)? Can it be simplified further? 😮 😄


This is borderline "Programming by Coincidence" instead of RG.  I can only imagine he just started trying things until he got something with roughly the expected behavior and moved on.


"Programming by Coincidence" sounds fascinating, like a human version of machine learning. But I would say the code looks too neat to have been developed that way.


Perhaps (s)he found the diagram cleanup by coincidence?

0 Kudos
Message 2188 of 2,222
(841 Views)
Highlighted

Not really Rube Goldberg code, more a Rube Goldberg concept (seen here).

 

"If you quickly run out of memory, add a time delay so you run out of memory more slowly. :D"

 

(That particular code would take 5 days with the suggested delay so we can start the program on Monday and leave for the weekend without ever running out of memory. Problem solved!!!)


LabVIEW Champion. It all comes together in GCentral GCentral
What does "Engineering Redefined" mean??
Message 2189 of 2,222
(487 Views)
Highlighted

@altenbach wrote:

Not really Rube Goldberg code, more a Rube Goldberg concept (seen here).

 

"If you quickly run out of memory, add a time delay so you run out of memory more slowly. :D"

 

(That particular code would take 5 days with the suggested delay so we can start the program on Monday and leave for the weekend without ever running out of memory. Problem solved!!!)


I think I've posted this story before, but it is one of my favorites. This reminded me of it

 

 

Message 2190 of 2,222
(472 Views)