BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rube Goldberg Code

@altenbach wrote:

Here's my code and it does not work right, please fix it! (Seen here)

(It's like "... here is a picture of page #456 from War and Piece. Please use it to summarize the story of the entire book!")

The title page is a better source than pg 456.  And, it won't put you to sleep like the next 455 pages.

Of course, even Count Tolstoy apologized that War and Peace was great literature unhampered by any story telling rules expected by the uneducated peasantry.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2341 of 2,571
(4,012 Views)

@AnalogKid2DigitalMan wrote:

Electron drift within an energized conductor is quite slow, it is the E/M fields that move at the speed of light and hence transfer energy down the waveguide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHIhgxav9LY

-AK2DM

The wires can move also 😄

Just showed my kids with a DIY spotwelder build from a MOT , 8 windings end up in 430A and moved the wires (~40mm²) 😄 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2342 of 2,571
(3,957 Views)

Here's one way to get lost in space! (seen here)

I need to split a string at the single space, so apparently wiring a string "SpaceConstant.vi" as regular expression for "match pattern" seems perfectly reasonable.

Deepti_Singh_0-1641978503065.png

Message 2343 of 2,571
(3,827 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I need to split a string at the single space, so apparently wiring a string "SpaceConstant.vi" as regular expression for "match pattern" seems perfectly reasonable.

I think there are other terms for that 😋.

0 Kudos
Message 2344 of 2,571
(3,775 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Actually, after following some wild hunches, there's a logical explanation!!!

Some of us know that the "space constant" is actually a subVI under the hood. So doing the following will get you what we are seeing!

1. Place an empty string constant on the diagram
  2. Grab the space constant from the palette and drop it into the string constant
  3. Bam! That's what obviously happened!
  4. I guess that seemed perfectly logical to the OP at the time. 😄

altenbach_0-1642176638822.png

I wonder if that space constant will ever graduate to a real constant like most others???

Message 2345 of 2,571
(3,746 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Some of us know that the "space constant" is actually a subVI under the hood. So doing the following will get you what we are seeing!

2. Grab the space constant from the palette and drop it into the string constant

I wonder if that space constant will ever graduate to a real constant like most others???

I didn't know that. It never occurred to me to try to drop the constant inside a constant. I guess it does make sense that a newbie could do something like that, though.

0 Kudos
Message 2346 of 2,571
(3,734 Views)

Sometimes, Rube Goldberg code does not even need a diagram. It can be deduced from the description. 😄

Here is an idea to write a simple 8 point ptbypt weighted moving average filter:

Verbatim:

"One idea was to use like 6 or 7 shift registers and 7 level build array function, and it worked"

Followed by:

"...  however it looked incredibly unestetic. Is there any way to store data in that way?"

I think if I would see the actual LabVIEW code, it will permanently burn into my retinas!

0 Kudos
Message 2347 of 2,571
(3,698 Views)

why does it only do that with space tho?

No other string constant does that (empty string, tab, carriage return, line feed, end of line)

0 Kudos
Message 2348 of 2,571
(3,662 Views)

@AeroSoul wrote:

why does it only do that with space tho?

No other string constant does that (empty string, tab, carriage return, line feed, end of line)

Probably simply because there was a need for a space constant, and nobody in the development team  was available to add it as a FixedConstant, like the other constants.

Or the intern didn't see the difference 🙄.

Something like that.

0 Kudos
Message 2349 of 2,571
(3,652 Views)

@johntrich1971 wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

I didn't know that. It never occurred to me to try to drop the constant inside a constant. I guess it does make sense that a newbie could do something like that, though.

I do that all the time with VIs though. It's a convenient way to quickly get a VIs name.

You can even drop a VI in a type def'd enum. That's a bug and completely useless...

I understand why you'd (try to) drop a constant in a string. I don't see how dropping a space constant is easier then typing a space.

It would actually be nice if that worked. Especially for the tab constant.

0 Kudos
Message 2350 of 2,571
(3,677 Views)