From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rube Goldberg Code

@TroyK wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Also have a faint recollection about mft (milli feet) that didn't work...

Having an electronics background I'm familiar with "mil" (thousandth of an inch) due to working with circuit boards, but this is the first time I've ever heard of "milli feet".  Coming from a country that is metric (hang on, isn't the U.S. officially metric too?) the idea of milli feet is horrifying.Smiley Surprised

It's probably my unfamiliarity with the metric system that caused this in the first place. Probably just as silly to 'them' as software that doesn't run if commas are configured as separators is to me. Just one of those regional things...

The problem was probably a bit more complicated. As I mentioned, I often automatically store values by reference, and the units that I use, including the prefix (n, m, k, M, G, etc.), are not what the user sees. They are just there to convert by a factors of 1000.

0 Kudos
Message 2111 of 2,571
(10,664 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@TroyK wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Also have a faint recollection about mft (milli feet) that didn't work...

Having an electronics background I'm familiar with "mil" (thousandth of an inch) due to working with circuit boards, but this is the first time I've ever heard of "milli feet".  Coming from a country that is metric (hang on, isn't the U.S. officially metric too?) the idea of milli feet is horrifying.Smiley Surprised

It's probably my unfamiliarity with the metric system that caused this in the first place. Probably just as silly to 'them' as software that doesn't run if commas are configured as separators is to me. Just one of those regional things...

The problem was probably a bit more complicated. As I mentioned, I often automatically store values by reference, and the units that I use, including the prefix (n, m, k, M, G, etc.), are not what the user sees. They are just there to convert by a factors of 1000.

Well, that depends.....Yes, it is a "National Policy" enacted and signed into Law by a guy famous for tripping on the stairs of Airforce One and scoring a hole-in-one while acting as President of the United States. Clearly, there was some lack of vision!  ("That Guy" was never actually elected to any public office)    I would be more afraid of second feet,,,,, ''... easy to confuse with inches " 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2112 of 2,571
(10,660 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

...One of my favorite formats is "%#pHz" ('#' ignores 0s after the decimal, 'p' is for SI Notation).  This will show values like "2.4GHz" and "10Hz".  That is a lot easier to read than 2400000000.

Annoying though that it cannot (or can it?) be formatted with a space between the value and the unit, like "2.4 GHz", which the is standard SI style convention.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2113 of 2,571
(10,612 Views)

@thols wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

...One of my favorite formats is "%#pHz" ('#' ignores 0s after the decimal, 'p' is for SI Notation).  This will show values like "2.4GHz" and "10Hz".  That is a lot easier to read than 2400000000.

Annoying though that it cannot (or can it?) be formatted with a space between the value and the unit, like "2.4 GHz", which the is standard SI style convention.

"%#p Hz"

0 Kudos
Message 2114 of 2,571
(10,604 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@thols wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

"%#p Hz"

Nope.  That will show up as "2.4G Hz".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2115 of 2,571
(10,599 Views)

Is it just me or is there way too much talk of syntax for a LabVIEW related thread?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2116 of 2,571
(10,589 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Is it just me or is there way too much talk of syntax for a LabVIEW related thread?

Ben

A little smart syntax usage can remedy Rube-Goldberg

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 2117 of 2,571
(10,579 Views)

@Ben wrote:

When I was "wee-G-Babe" I wanted to sort folders based their size.

I did not know about the "Cluster Sort" method so I coded up a variation on a bubble sort.

Greg McKaskle said he was stumped for a while but eventually figured it out.

This was one of the first "Bad" from the "Good the Bad and the Ugly" series.

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 08-03-2006 01:47 PM

And 13 years later, as I'm introducing a co-worker to this wonderful thread I find this post without any follow-up to modern standards

RGRG.png

And Lookie here!

Capture.PNG

APPARENTLY the optimizer faerie came around behind me and constant folded the ugly for loop

Message 2118 of 2,571
(10,442 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 08-03-2006 01:47 PM

And 13 years later, as I'm introducing a co-worker to this wonderful thread I find this post without any follow-up to modern standards

RGRG.png

Or to really fit it on a postage stamp 

Capture.PNG

Just use the attached Sort Arrays.vim

0 Kudos
Message 2119 of 2,571
(10,416 Views)

Nothing wrong with "Pink"* but it should be avoided during processing of simple binary data.

(seen here)

altenbach_0-1575478415470.png

* OTOH, Singer P!nk lives near me here and even presented at the Venice sign lighting once. 😉 

Message 2120 of 2,571
(10,223 Views)