cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Rube Goldberg Code

Re: Every time this thread hits my email inbox...


@Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote:

The comparison to constant is not needed since you can use the case to switch on the constant.

 

Actually, All (that I can think of off the bat) Comparisons to constants feeding a case selector are r-g


Except...

Spoiler
Comparing floats to -Inf, NaN or +Inf constants!
0 Kudos
Message 1971 of 2,032
(1,132 Views)

Re: Every time this thread hits my email inbox...


wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote:

The comparison to constant is not needed since you can use the case to switch on the constant.

 

Actually, All (that I can think of off the bat) Comparisons to constants feeding a case selector are r-g


Except...

Spoiler
Comparing floats to -Inf, NaN or +Inf constants!

Actually, there is a legit case for this.  You just named three of the five IEE 754 FP exceptions.  There might be a reason to do something if these occurred.

 

Didn't read your spoiler closely enough.  I missed what was written immediately above it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 1972 of 2,032
(1,089 Views)

A whole new level of ......


Seen in the wild

(unfortunately, in code I need to maintain now)Smiley Sad

RG.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1973 of 2,032
(1,026 Views)

Re: A whole new level of ......

And I am guessing that is not a simple dialog.  I have done similar for dialogs to pass out what the user configured, but those typically just write the values out when the OK button is pressed.


There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
0 Kudos
Message 1974 of 2,032
(1,018 Views)

Re: A whole new level of ......


@crossrulz wrote:

And I am guessing that is not a simple dialog.  I have done similar for dialogs to pass out what the user configured, but those typically just write the values out when the OK button is pressed.


It gets worse, there is no means available to the vi where Auto Run is visible or enabled.  Therefore, the case cannot execute unless someone is messing with a vi server ref to this vi.

 

EDIT:  "Don't worry Jeff, That autorun feature never worked and we can't figure out why....

 

There is also a mouse down event on 26 clusters of string (values A-Z) that fires a user event of (string A-Z) handled by the same event case.....to sort a list ...... 

0 Kudos
Message 1975 of 2,032
(1,012 Views)

Continuously learning

So why did nobody else ever think of that??? (seen here) Smiley Surprised

 

paraphrasing:

"To avoid memory issues we should not use an outer while loop but use the "continuous run" button instead."

 

Hmmm.... NO!!!!


LabVIEW Champion Do more with less code and in less time
0 Kudos
Message 1976 of 2,032
(978 Views)

Re: Continuously learning


@altenbach wrote:

So why did nobody else ever think of that??? (seen here) Smiley Surprised

 

paraphrasing:

"To avoid memory issues we should not use an outer while loop but use the "continuous run" button instead."

 

Hmmm.... NO!!!!


Isn't working around a problem better then solving it? That's not what I've heard...

 

Spoiler

A colleague at my previous job (20 years ago) asked me if I could make a .dll to kill the current process. He had a memory leak, and in stead of asking me to solve it, he figured it was easier to simply restart the application once a day.

 

There and then I realized this. Everyone can learn how to program. But some people should not be allowed to. At least not without supervision.

 

 

 

Message 1977 of 2,032
(944 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Continuously learning


wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

So why did nobody else ever think of that??? (seen here) Smiley Surprised

 

paraphrasing:

"To avoid memory issues we should not use an outer while loop but use the "continuous run" button instead."

 

Hmmm.... NO!!!!


Isn't working around a problem better then solving it? That's not what I've heard...

 

Spoiler

A colleague at my previous job (20 years ago) asked me if I could make a .dll to kill the current process. He had a memory leak, and in stead of asking me to solve it, he figured it was easier to simply restart the application once a day.

 

There and then I realized this. Everyone can learn how to program. But some people should not be allowed to. At least not without supervision.


Reminds me of this story

Message 1978 of 2,032
(756 Views)

Re: Continuously learning


@BowenM wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

So why did nobody else ever think of that??? (seen here) Smiley Surprised

 

paraphrasing:

"To avoid memory issues we should not use an outer while loop but use the "continuous run" button instead."

 

Hmmm.... NO!!!!


Isn't working around a problem better then solving it? That's not what I've heard...

 

Spoiler

A colleague at my previous job (20 years ago) asked me if I could make a .dll to kill the current process. He had a memory leak, and in stead of asking me to solve it, he figured it was easier to simply restart the application once a day.

 

There and then I realized this. Everyone can learn how to program. But some people should not be allowed to. At least not without supervision.


Reminds me of this story


Similar to a recent post, where the OP stated he should move to LV 64bit because he has memory leaks...Well, for sure you can delay memory issues, just buy more RAM...

0 Kudos
Message 1979 of 2,032
(711 Views)

Re: Continuously learning


@Blokk wrote:

@BowenM wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

So why did nobody else ever think of that??? (seen here) Smiley Surprised

 

paraphrasing:

"To avoid memory issues we should not use an outer while loop but use the "continuous run" button instead."

 

Hmmm.... NO!!!!


Isn't working around a problem better then solving it? That's not what I've heard...

 

Spoiler

A colleague at my previous job (20 years ago) asked me if I could make a .dll to kill the current process. He had a memory leak, and in stead of asking me to solve it, he figured it was easier to simply restart the application once a day.

 

There and then I realized this. Everyone can learn how to program. But some people should not be allowed to. At least not without supervision.


Reminds me of this story


Similar to a recent post, where the OP stated he should move to LV 64bit because he has memory leaks...Well, for sure you can delay memory issues, just buy more RAM...


Merging LabVIEW 32 bit project into LabVIEW 64 bit will it work for all the DLLs and library's ?

 

In all fairness, OP mentions "memory problems", not memory leaks per s. Although leaks are very likely to be the problem, OP could just needs a lot of memory. Anyway, fixing them by optimizing the code to some degree is a better solution then simply upgrading. But he might have done that already (although very likely he didn't).

0 Kudos
Message 1980 of 2,032
(688 Views)