cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rube Goldberg Code

@Blokk wrote:

time.jpg

From here:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Problems-with-Quotient-amp-Remainder-in-FPGA/m-p/3723904/highlight/...

I had to stare at that far longer than I should have to figure out what was going on.

0 Kudos
Message 1872 of 2,565
(10,627 Views)

@BowenM wrote:

@Blokk wrote:

time.jpg

From here:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Problems-with-Quotient-amp-Remainder-in-FPGA/m-p/3723904/highlight/...

I had to stare at that far longer than I should have to figure out what was going on.

It's not that badSmiley Very Happy. Just replace the two Booleans, two shift register, the AND, the selector and the 7 wires for a "First Call?". So 7 nodes, 7 wires replaced by 1 node and 0 wires? Yes, that's Rube Goldberg Code alright!

Somehow that one pixel jump in the top wire (on the right) bothers me more then in should.

0 Kudos
Message 1873 of 2,565
(10,595 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

It's not that badSmiley Very Happy. Just replace the two Booleans, two shift register, the AND, the selector and the 7 wires for a "First Call?". So 7 nodes, 7 wires replaced by 1 node and 0 wires?

Actually, it looks like you still need the feedback node, because the point is to check the current time against the start time. One option would be to use the FN and select. Another might be to use just the FN and set it to initialize on first call, then wire the current time to the init terminal and the output back to the input.

(10,591 Views)

@tst wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

It's not that badSmiley Very Happy. Just replace the two Booleans, two shift register, the AND, the selector and the 7 wires for a "First Call?". So 7 nodes, 7 wires replaced by 1 node and 0 wires?

Actually, it looks like you still need the feedback node, because the point is to check the current time against the start time.

Yes, one. The other two are redundant.

But the First Call? is indeed not needed, as it's function is build in the FB.

dT.png

Message 1875 of 2,565
(10,586 Views)

Let's wait for a period of time, in 10 msec chunks, but the number of times to wait is based on a arithmetic series.

Seen here.

While loop near bottom after VISA Write

0 Kudos
Message 1876 of 2,565
(10,485 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Is that uninitialized shift register a bug or a feature?

0 Kudos
Message 1877 of 2,565
(10,479 Views)

that is the rube goldebergish part 😉

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 1878 of 2,565
(10,475 Views)

@jwscs wrote:

that is the rube goldebergish part 😉

Why (just covering myself...)?

That's a very efficient way to wait ~500 ms the first time, and then until the next 10 ms multiple forever after.

It could a bug or a feature. In the last case it's programmed pretty efficiently.

0 Kudos
Message 1879 of 2,565
(10,462 Views)

i was just kidding regarding the uninitialized shift register

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 1880 of 2,565
(10,459 Views)