BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route 05 and "Highway through hell"

Dear friends,

my elder daughter is leaving school this year and they have choosen the motto Route 05 Highway through hell.

I need to know is there a Route 05 (I know Route 01 Trans America Highway and Route 66)?
Is there a route elsewhere in the world which you would call a "Highway through hell"?

I need some inspiration for a speech I have to hold on the prom.
Waldemar

Using 7.1.1, 8.5.1, 8.6.1, 2009 on XP and RT
Don't forget to give Kudos to good answers and/or questions
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(9,462 Views)
Well there's always the small piece or highway at the corner of Germany, Austria and Switzerland where the Austrian police are always fining people for driving on the 2-3 kn of motorway without a valid sticker (Which costs quite a lot), thus forcing everyone to drive through the neighbouring Villages.......

Or any highway at rush hour....

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(9,447 Views)
I have heard of this short highway in Austria. I never drove it because we used either the way over Kufstein and Felbertauern or through the Tauern tunnel.
I have a customer at the Lake of Constance but none in Vorarlberg, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.

For those who want to know we are talking about:
Driving on highway if free in Germany, in Austria and Swiss you have to pay and place a sticker on the window. If you want to drive from Switzerland to Germany using the south route around Lake of Constance you need to pass Austria. In this case you have to pay for the Swiss and Austrian highway. The way through Austria is short and all those people avoiding to pay have to drive through the villages or go to jail. Jail? Yes. If you do not pay and the the police will find you, you have to pay a penalty or go to jail for 1 week.

I have attached a map of this aerea. Coming from Switzerland you use A1/E60, L204, A14/E60 and A96/E43/E54. And the alternative is A1/E60, L190 and A96/E43/E54.
Waldemar

Using 7.1.1, 8.5.1, 8.6.1, 2009 on XP and RT
Don't forget to give Kudos to good answers and/or questions
Message 3 of 10
(9,438 Views)
You could call Interstate 5 through California, Oregon and Washington "Route 05". And it passes through Los Angeles, which many consider to be hell. Although the 405 is much, much, much worse imho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_5

Cheers,
Tim
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(9,416 Views)
Well said Waldemar,

I suppose I could have takent he time and written about the subject as well as you did, but anyway.

I also forgot to mention that the motorway in Switzerland is also relatively expensive for a short trip. Didn't occur to me because I live there and kind of have to pay for the year anyway (40 Francs, approx. 26 Euro or the equivalent in dollars). OK for a year, kind of steep for a day.

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(9,406 Views)
I think these 40 francs are ok - compared to the amount that has to be paid in Austria, where, in addition, you still have to pay toll for certain road section e.g. the Arlberg-tunnel.

Thomas
Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
--------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(9,394 Views)

@Tim Wright wrote:
And it passes through Los Angeles, which many consider to be hell. Although the 405 is much, much, much worse imho.

Hey! There is nothing wrong with Los Angeles! 🙂

I live a few miles from one of the busiest intersections in the world, the I-10/405 interchange (I thought it was 400'000 to 500'000 cars/day but don't have the numbers right now).

I ride my bike to work so I don't care about freeways. The nice thing here is that a t-shirt is sufficient for most of the year. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(9,371 Views)
I live about 2 miles away from the I-10/405 interchange, so I know how busy it gets. I used to bike to work when I was closer to work, but now I drive. Maybe I should look into taking the bus.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(9,365 Views)

altenbach a écrit:

@Tim Wright wrote:
And it passes through Los Angeles, which many consider to be hell. Although the 405 is much, much, much worse imho.

Hey! There is nothing wrong with Los Angeles! 🙂

I live a few miles from one of the busiest intersections in the world, the I-10/405 interchange (I thought it was 400'000 to 500'000 cars/day but don't have the numbers right now).

I ride my bike to work so I don't care about freeways. The nice thing here is that a t-shirt is sufficient for most of the year. 🙂

I hope you wash it once in a while... 😉

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

Message 9 of 10
(9,361 Views)
When I need to go to work in the morning, it takes me about 3 minutes to walk the distance from my home to my office (and no cars on the way, either. As a matter of fact, when I look out my window in the morning, I see mainly trees).

(9,360 Views)