BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

@Ben wrote:

This post on LinkedIn seems to be bogus but Would I have known it by looking at it?

"If the virus is exposed to a temperature of 26-27°C, it will be killed, it does not live in hot areas."

So.... How exactly does it survive in a human being? Last time I checked our temperature should be 37°C on average (a range of 33.2–38.2 °C), but up to 40°C with fever.

Message 2101 of 2,258
(10,035 Views)

@Ben wrote:

But the economic hit from shutting down parts of the economic machine is where I have a concern and again would like to hear about anything that Y'all have seen.

Flybe went bankrupt this morning. It was UKs largest domestic airline.

They had problems before the virus, but it did speed up the process...

Message 2102 of 2,258
(10,035 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I always thought disinfectants are for bacteria, not viri. Just wondering what they are spraying in these regions and if we are just priming the system in for more resistant superbugs. Most bacteria are beneficial, and some might even help us in the fight. 😮

Well, disinfectants ARE good against bacteria because they disrupt the cell wall which is made up of lipids (fat).

There are also classes of Virii which are "encapsulated" (not in an OOP sense 😆) with a lipid layer and the new Coronovirus is one of these. This is why just frequent hand washing with soap is actually a very effective step to minimizing spread of the virus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_envelope

That and not sticking your fingers into your eyes, nose, mouth or any other orifice of your choosing.

This also goes some way to explaining why these virii are not particularly heat-resistant as drying out of the membrane makes them ineffective. Drying out occurs more rapidly in dry warm areas, thus limiting their survival rate outside of the body. Inside the body of course it's nice and moist and dessication is quite unlikely.

Message 2103 of 2,258
(10,030 Views)

Keep-Calm-Wash-Your-Hands-Poster-230x300.jpg

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 2104 of 2,258
(10,010 Views)

Good review here

mcduff

Message 2105 of 2,258
(9,921 Views)

When I'm not busy with LabVIEW, I do other tech work for a neighbour that specializes in home automation products and industrial PCs.  

Many items from China are currently on back order.  This is directly impacting his business as some assemblies cannot be completed without all the components. 

Canadian's that take blood pressure medication might want to check their stock.  I know that a couple of manufacturers were listing valsartan shortages a week ago.  

There were a few places out of masks and alcohol where I live.  But other places still have them.  

People seemed to be shopping normally at the mom and pop grocery stores.  But at Walmart the other day, there was definitely some panic buying going on.  Store shelves are very rarely ever empty here, and I've seen it a few times in past week.  

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
Message 2106 of 2,258
(9,856 Views)

Was at Costco over the weekend and they were completely out of toilet paper! 😮 (usually stocked to the ceiling).

I just don't get the logical connection between TP and virus...  😄

(I guess soon we all need to start peeling one single ply off a double-ply sheet and then use both sides)

Message 2107 of 2,258
(9,845 Views)

There are a lot of misconceptions about this, conflating what is a respiratory infection with the flu, which usually has gastric implications. Of course if you are quarantined for two plus weeks, you really don't want to run out!

Of course, in my part of NY state most of us have been sneezing and coughing for the last several months, pretty common at this time of year due to being trapped inside for so long.

P

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 2108 of 2,258
(9,843 Views)

I directly live in a region where infection is huge: north of Italy, Milan area.

It's been several weeks that our job is heavily impacted by this virus, all of my business trips to customers were prudentially cancelled the same as some customer visits in our factory. Till now we are not low on materials nor there are problems in circulation of goods, but in the last days there has been an increase in limitation to all unnecessary activities: all public events were cancelled, no cinema, no theater, bar and restaurants closed 6pm to 6am, no sport meetings, no public ceremonies including religious ones...

The refrain is "stay at home!": employers are encouraged to facilitate working from home whenever possible, and to let workers take vacations if not.

For the first time in my life I have to justify my home-to-work trip even if I simply go from downtown to the industrial area in the suburbs!

The situation is critical and they say we have not yet reached the peak!

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

Roberto,

is there any data as to why Italy is hit so hard by the outbreak of the virus. It seems to be far more affected than neighbouring countries.

Message 2110 of 2,258
(9,801 Views)