BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

Highlighted

Jim I genuinely appreciate your community support.  Over the years there are often neat little coding nuggets I find that you've provided.  The one I use most often is a modified version of CaseSelect, which I know of another Jim that appreciates it too.

0 Kudos
Message 2051 of 2,256
(978 Views)
Highlighted

@Hooovahh wrote:

Jim I genuinely appreciate your community support.  Over the years there are often neat little coding nuggets I find that you've provided.  The one I use most often is a modified version of CaseSelect, which I know of another Jim that appreciates it too.


18mq5r.jpg

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2052 of 2,256
(971 Views)
Highlighted
Highlighted

@Hooovahh wrote:

Jim I genuinely appreciate your community support.  Over the years there are often neat little coding nuggets I find that you've provided.  The one I use most often is a modified version of CaseSelect, which I know of another Jim that appreciates it too.


I still use the original CaseSelect because it works on things without checking to make sure they are a JKI state machine first 🙂 Jim, while you're up on that pedestal I've got a couple ideas for new features to add...

0 Kudos
Message 2054 of 2,256
(956 Views)
Highlighted

@Jacobson wrote:

I get a lot of meeting invitations from our sales team where I am expected to be some technical resource for a customer that I've never worked with before. That's all normal but every so often I'm introduced with some credentials I didn't know I had which can set expectations a bit high. I'm only 5 years out of college and got two NIWeek meeting invitations today where I was introduced as a "veteran embedded system developer" and "one of our senior applications engineers who specializes in IIoT applications".

 

It reminded me of an introduction I got from one of our sales team ~2 weeks after starting my current job. I was picking up some work previously being handled by another engineer and the customer was told that, "like Matt Pollock he [me] is also a senior embedded supporter" which is quite a standard to meet considering the other Matt has roughly 3x the experience and helped write the CLED exam.

Something is wrong

Anyone else have some crazy high expectations set for them going into a new project? Also, any advice for tactfully resetting expectations?


 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2055 of 2,256
(942 Views)
Highlighted

Over the years there are often neat little coding nuggets I find that you've provided.  The one I use most often is a modified version of CaseSelect, which I know of another Jim that appreciates it too.

I get lucky sometimes... 😄

 

Thank you, though, and I [think I] see what you did there.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 2056 of 2,256
(936 Views)
Highlighted

@Jacobson wrote:

...

Anyone else have some crazy high expectations set for them going into a new project? Also, any advice for tactfully resetting expectations?


There was an old line that went something like...

 

"

If you accomplish the impossible too often they will make it part of your job description.

"

 

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2057 of 2,256
(909 Views)
Highlighted

@Ben wrote:

@Jacobson wrote:

...

Anyone else have some crazy high expectations set for them going into a new project? Also, any advice for tactfully resetting expectations?


There was an old line that went something like...

 

"

If you accomplish the impossible too often they will make it part of your job description.

"

 

Ben


Which is why a lot of guys, when asked to help with the laundry or ironing purposefully make a mistake (not too obvious) so that expectations are set accordingly.

 

Not me though. I'm just incompetent. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 2058 of 2,256
(907 Views)
Highlighted

@Intaris wrote:

...

Ben


Which is why a lot of guys, when asked to help with the laundry or ironing purposefully make a mistake (not too obvious) so that expectations are set accordingly.

 

Not me though. I'm just incompetent. Smiley Wink


My better-half will NOT allow me to touch her appliances...

 

I never willingly screwed things up but there was that one time when she away and I decided I was going to make double batch of chocolate chip cookie bars, mixed up baking soda with baking powder..

 

Before I knew it the batter was crawling out of the pan onto the bottom of the oven.

 

My neighbor gave me a strange look when he spotted my fanning the back door trying to clear the smoke.

 

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2059 of 2,256
(904 Views)
Highlighted

Some turkeys just do not get it!

 

Going back and forth looking for something that is not there.

 

Spoiler

 

 

 

 

Was Ben Franklin clairvoyant when I he suggested that the national bird should be a turkey? Well you tell me.

 

Smiley Wink

 

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2060 of 2,256
(673 Views)