From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

In my case, since most of the directed ads appear to directly apply to things I have done a search on, I understand where those come from. But the sole purpose of this discussion, of an object that we "acquired" years ago was to ask him to let me know, as my downstairs neighbor, whether it was too noisy when I used it. Then I get Amazon ads for it, not something that is in any category that I or anyone in my household, has researched. So ...    There have been other events that seemed more coincidental, but this one did raise the hairs on my neck! Neither my coworker, another contract engineer temporarily here, nor I fall in the 30's something category having common interests. I haven't, sadly, been in that category for a few decades!    Cue spooky music.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 1831 of 2,258
(9,981 Views)

my better-half and I split-up the tasks associated with being preppers. She takes care of food processing storage, prep. etc while I handle the production of food. That means her world is filled with food stores and also means the mice are more interested in her project than mine. But I am still the "mouse hunter" responsible for the traps, baiting setting, clearing etc.

Now she have never made a claim of being graceful particularly when it comes to mouse traps. I have Monday evening ritual that amounts to resetting all of the traps that she has set-off over the week-end. But she tries.

Last night, she aw being careful in the pantry since she wanted to get at her big freezer but the array of mouse traps was n the way. Trying not to add work to my list she vary carefully picked them up one by one and put them in a box until... she got to the last traps. She apologized but I would really loved to have seen the chain-reaction as they all went off.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1832 of 2,258
(9,934 Views)

Been out of LV land for almost a year. But I'm baaaack. Did I miss anything?Smiley Tongue

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 1833 of 2,258
(9,924 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

Did I miss anything?Smiley Tongue

You missed the release of LabVIEW NXG.

Spoiler
So to answer your question, no you didn't miss anything Smiley Tongue

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 1834 of 2,258
(9,921 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

@PaulG. wrote:

Did I miss anything?Smiley Tongue

You missed the release of LabVIEW NXG.

Spoiler
So to answer your question, no you didn't miss anything Smiley Tongue

Ouch, tough, but accurate.

So yes NXG 1.0 is out.  I presented on 5 reasons to not use it (and 5 reasons to use it) which also comes with a NXG Cycle you may find your self emotionally going through.  Look for 2.0 which should have the WebVIs teased for years which allows for VIs to be ran in a browser.

592ed5cb02174_NXGCycle.png.b967a2299db3024035f1903f8485733b.png

VI Macros, became malleable VIs, which allows for type propagation into VIs.  Channel wires continue to be cool with wires that don't enforce data flow for readability.

Message 1835 of 2,258
(9,919 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

Been out of LV land for almost a year. But I'm baaaack. Did I miss anything?Smiley Tongue

You missed Norm Kirchner help spec out one of the broadest problem statements posted on the forums.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-to-monitor-wireless-signals-in-a-room-using-LabView/m-p/3713609...

Message 1836 of 2,258
(9,909 Views)

@Ben wrote:

my better-half and I split-up the tasks associated with being preppers. She takes care of food processing storage, prep. etc while I handle the production of food. That means her world is filled with food stores and also means the mice are more interested in her project than mine. But I am still the "mouse hunter" responsible for the traps, baiting setting, clearing etc.

Now she have never made a claim of being graceful particularly when it comes to mouse traps. I have Monday evening ritual that amounts to resetting all of the traps that she has set-off over the week-end. But she tries.

Last night, she aw being careful in the pantry since she wanted to get at her big freezer but the array of mouse traps was n the way. Trying not to add work to my list she vary carefully picked them up one by one and put them in a box until... she got to the last traps. She apologized but I would really loved to have seen the chain-reaction as they all went off.

Ben

Sounds like you could use a good cat or two.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 1837 of 2,258
(9,875 Views)

@elset191 wrote:

Sounds like you could use a good cat or two.

You are right Tim. Mostly in the winter when the field mice are looking for food and to escape the cold. Seldom spotted in the summer when grains are readily available.

Spoiler

My son and pseudo-daughter-in-law are making the same point but I was trained from my youth not to like cats, the smell of their waste is just too acrid for my likings, and the damage they do to furniture.. has me thinking twice. I have actually come around to the idea of getting a cat just to protect the food stuffs but my better-half actually inserted an objection when I mentioned it.

So until she changes her mind, I will have to remain the "great white mouse hunter".

I am tempted to repeat the chain-reaction for the G-Daughters so that they can a get a first hand look at one.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1838 of 2,258
(9,867 Views)

Perhaps it's your method of baiting and trapping that's not working. When I had mice issue (field mice also). I researched methods and patterns of the mice.

Traps really only need to be on the edge of walls, mice run along walls as much as possible to find food sources because they are not that capable of seeing.  This really should also help the SO not get... trapped herself.

Also the bait, the best I ever found is a simple pea sized amount of peanut butter.

Finally, try to find where they are entering your food store and blocking that.

Certified-LabVIEW-Architect_rgb.jpgCertified_TestStand_Architect_rgb.jpg

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Bernard Books

Message 1839 of 2,258
(9,863 Views)

Peanut butter because they seem to like the oil in it, and I also put something a little more solid in like piece of peanut.  My dad would use a little strip of bacon fat in there and sear it in a flame.  I found sometimes just peanut butter they can lick it clean and get away, but give them a little something to tug on and  ......  SNAP

Message 1840 of 2,258
(9,852 Views)