BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

You'd have to keep it on though. On the table it won't help.

Message 2241 of 2,258
(11,188 Views)

Unless people keep a distance because it's there of course.

The motor crowd is pretty intimidating 😄.

0 Kudos
Message 2242 of 2,258
(11,165 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Any mask needs to come off during eating. 😉

Message 2243 of 2,258
(11,157 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Every good rule has a notable exception 😊...

Spoiler
front-view-woman-with-face-mask-eating-strawberry_23-2148520258

Message 2244 of 2,258
(11,149 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Every good rule has a notable exception 😊...

Spoiler

I many ways, I find the mask requirement symbolic and ... silly.

AS far as the state of PA is concerned, any type of face covering qualifies. A bandanna is as good as a N95 mask. Even within the varieties of N95 masks, the version with an exhaust valve (to reduce CO2 deadspace) may protect the wearer but not others. Then there is the issue of how the mask is worn. The masks do not need to be worn correctly... "just worn is enough". While in Boot camp we had to go through chemical warfare training that included the proper wearing of a gas mask which was reinforced withe a visit to the Gas House where we got a first hand chance to appreciate the proper donning of a mask. That lesson ended with an order to remove the mask a experience the tear gas first hand.

While in the Navy, we were not allowed to sport anything more than a goatee since full beards prevented a proper seal of the gas mask. Same thing applies to wearing an N95 mask. The beard prevents a seal around the edges of the mask.

So unless the mask requirement is combined with requirements for effective masks, and no facial hair the mask is more for show than actually helping.

And then there is the false idea that the Kung-Flu can be stopped or reduced. The only things that will stop it is a fully immunized populace or everyone having the antibodies due to being exposed to the virus (I admit that those are redundant with the difference onyl being in how people get the antibodies). It is only the elderly or those in high risk groups being shielded and properly protected with good treatment.

The most recent death rates I have seen approach that of the flu and we do not shut-down the world for the flu. While not all people agree, I prefer to rip a bandage of fast and get it over with. As long as we do not overwhelm the hospitals, I advocate getting it over with and get back to "The World As We Knew It".

Just my 2 cents worth

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2245 of 2,258
(11,131 Views)

@Ben wrote:

And then there is the false idea that the Kung-Flu can be stopped or reduced.

Come on, Ben.  You're better than this. 

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 2246 of 2,258
(11,123 Views)

@elset191 wrote:

@Ben wrote:

And then there is the false idea that the Kung-Flu can be stopped or reduced.

Come on, Ben.  You're better than this. 

My wife is working on her 5th level black belt in Kung-Fu. So in our house, it is an inside joke.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2247 of 2,258
(11,121 Views)

Over here the government is very skeptical about masks.

There's absolutely 0 proof it will do anything good. I'm not talking about hospital environments here, they should get all the protection the need.

For the general public, there are experts claiming it will actually make things worse. The mask don't do much, and distancing will be ignored as people feel the mask will protect them.

Then some experts claim the masks will help, because without them people will feel things are back to normal...

I guess general avoidance helps best for now.

Like Ben, I fear we'll all have to get it eventually. But spreading it might be better for the economy and the hospital staff. We almost ran out of IC hospital beds over here. They had to make plans on how to select why got treatment and wo doesn't. Not sure how that turned out.

Those vaccines would be welcome. So we can all go back to before and forget all about this. Until the next time...

Message 2248 of 2,258
(11,087 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Over here the government is very skeptical about masks.

There's absolutely 0 proof it will do anything good. I'm not talking about hospital environments here, they should get all the protection the need.

Oh, don't listen to the "government", listen to the scientists. 😄

Actually there is a lot of recent data in the US that correlates infection rates with local mask compliance, a rich source because there is no nationwide strategy, just a random patchwork of local ordinances. (look at some of the links here).

Of course while exponential curves are good initial models, all will eventually flatten out just because we will asymptotically run out of uninfected people. (...same as all Vegas winning strategies won't work because you run out of money first :D)

IPAM (Institute for Pure & Applied Mathematics) at UCLA will actually hold a (zoom) workshop on Mathematical Models in Understanding COVID-19 . Maybe I'll attend, just out of curiosity. 😉 Their programs are typically great!

Message 2249 of 2,258
(11,065 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Of course while exponential curves are good initial models, all will eventually flatten out just because we will asymptotically run out of uninfected people. (...same as all Vegas winning strategies won't work because you run out of money first :D)

Last estimate I heard was based on inspection of blood donors. Only 5% showed antibodies... I'd assume that number to be biased, assuming people that usually donate won't donate if they where sick recently. Then a blood donor told me the actually want you to donate blood when you had certain sicknesses. 5% is pretty discouraging, but if those people where the first people that COVID choose, perhaps only 10% qualifies? Who knows.

Our government got recent advice to revert loosening the rules. The advice came from their appointed advisors. Over here the government don't shoot (or fire) the messengers, so I expect some changes...

Message 2250 of 2,258
(11,051 Views)