BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

@Kevin_Price wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

In the town I grew up in, a WWI vet decided to build a castle next to the Little Miami River

Can't even remember what led me to the thread, but whuddaya know, that's the town I'm living in right now!   Also known for it's Valentine's Day postmarks.   Not at all known for either crossrulz or myself.

Don't forget about the Loveland Frog.

Spoiler
My dad heard through "an old man" that wet suites were being developed in Loveland for the Navy and were secretly being tested in the Little Miami River.  It is highly likely that the Loveland Frog was actually one of the test divers.

At one point, we also had a very important landmark: the pink house.  Yes, somebody had their house painted pink and it is was a much used intersection.  "Turn at the pink house" was a common phrase.  Sadly, it was painted some blue color ~30 years ago.  But the owner also had a truck that was painted pink and the license plate was "YPINK".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2171 of 2,258
(10,217 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Let's see;

I can purchase dirt, and 2X6's but on the other hand alcohol is "non-essential" ?

Didn't that question get asked and answered in the 18th and 21st amendments?

(smiley-wink)

My better half informed me that PA has followed CA example and the governor has shut down everything except essential...

On that note, I recall walking around a mall in Denver back in 1976, observing the people and convinced myself, that is where all of the Hippies ended up.

Spoiler

I was 10 years old during Woodstock and my parents ruled out me attending so I could watch what the older kids did.

On a related note (keep in mind telling long rambling stories is part of my job description):

Spoiler

My better-half and buddies demanded after learning I had never attended a Greatful Dead concert insisted I attend what turned out to be the last GD concert in Pittsburgh. At that event;

I learned what happened to all of the VW Microbuses

The hippies were following the GD around the world.

I witnessed multiple adults skipping

I asked myself "What the world would look like once the Hippies were in charge?".

Learning the medicinal marijuana was still available but not beer, I think I learned the answer that I asked so many years ago.

Keep at it gang, there is an end of this adventure!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2172 of 2,258
(10,186 Views)

Hey Dear LV People,

I am not really at the LV side in the last couple of years, but I keep connected to the forum, and try to read occasionally some posts as i have time. The "dark side", C# is too strong, got me for a while now! 😄 But I keep open for a return in the future as I love LV! 🙂

In the last two weeks things here are changing fast too, our company tries to limit the onsite people as much as possible.

I am lucky: since i am a whole-year-bike-commuter, and working recently alone in a basement lab, still allowed to work at place, with planned Friday home offices. Well, calibrating deep-level spectroscopes is not like what you can do at home office 🙂

Our senior electrical engineer coordinates from safe home office via video chat, and we try our best to function pro, despite the recent circumstances.

These old fellows, we need them to keep safe, we still need to learn a lot from them!

Keep safe people, and when we are after all these hard times, would be nice to make it to NI days at least once in my life, to see some of you I know from the forum! 🙂

I just would like to wish all of you good health and strength for the coming months!

Best Regards,

András

Message 2173 of 2,258
(10,182 Views)

"These old fellows"    Hey, I resemble that remark! 😉 I, having my own consultancy, have been working from home for quite a while (years). I did finish an onsite gig last November, lucky timing.

The one son, who resides here, is now working from home, and the rules for telemedicine/ telecounseling here in the US have been "lightened" allowing his mom to start working from home. She still has to go to her office on Fridays, the hospital she works for has their patient records only on an inside computer system, but she is supposed to do those clients' sessions via teleconferencing, from her office there.

The other son and his wife are home with their 3 month old, telecommuting as well, they are prepared for this, having had two months of partially working from home after the baby was born in December.

Oldest daughter, a primary school teacher, is home, doing Yahoo lessons for her students, having gotten enough of a heads up at her school that they created home study packets.

The youngest is not sure what is happening, work wise, can't telecommute in her counseling job.

The two I worry the most about are the second youngest daughter (hey, there are a lot, Kerry and I blended two families, three children each. 🙂   ) and the middle one. The younger is working in a retail pharmacy, is facing customers daily, and where to people that don't feel well, to the pharmacy.

The scariest is the middle one. She is doing her medical residency at a hospital in one of the "hot zones" in New Jersey state. Last weekend she was on intake, so saw every patient admitted. There are patients with Covid-19 there, including some deaths.

This will, eventually, taper off. I am afraid that too many here in the US don't understand how this will probably play out, thinking that a couple of weeks of "mostly" hanging around home and it will be back to normal. I put "mostly" in quotes as there are still many at the grocery stores, and others that are open. I have tried, on other forums, to explain, as an engineer that understands math and graphs, as well as one with a daughter with a MD after her name, who also has a combined Masters degree in Public Health and Tropical medicine to refer my questions to (when she isn't working or sleeping) that this "flattening the curve" doesn't end it soon, it just hopefully spreads out the rate of infection to try not to completely overload the capacity of the hospitals, etc.

Please stay safe my friends from everywhere, wash your hands, avoid being out with others, be the socially distanced nerds we are always accused of!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 2174 of 2,258
(10,151 Views)

We have not yet reached the flat area of the curve here: hospitals are full and authorities have closed fenced parks and prohibited to go to the open ones. People is supposed to stay at home and go out only for groceries and little more.

Going grocery is the actual problem for healthy persons now: shops are open (supermarkets and food ones only) with regular schedule but with limited access: only a reduced number of persons at a time to permit keeping safe distance between customers and between customers and workers. The result are *long* queues out of the shops: it it now normal to get in 1-hour lines almost everywhere and every time. 🤐 

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

I have a laptop for sale on Craigslist.

I get an email from someone that they want to buy it.

I am in NJ and in "lockdown".

In addition, my 80 year old mother lives with me.

I am not going to risk her health and my health for $150.

Message 2176 of 2,258
(10,128 Views)

My work routine has changed in lots of ways.  My routine was to come in, review all the NI posts I'm subscribed to that go replies and read them, then reply if necessary.  Then go to LAVA review new posts and reports there, then start my work day and in my down time see if I can answer any questions on the forums.  With that gone I haven't been checking the forums often.

The large majority of workers are working from home and I am loving it.  I get to sleep in a little, I can eat leftovers and don't have to leave for lunch like most days at the office.  I get to spend the days (and weeks) with the two people I love the most, with few distractions.  Sure there are parts of my job that require me to be on site, but we saw this coming and I started lining up work that could be done from home.  In my down time I have home projects, movies with the family, games (lots of family Minecraft sessions), my 3D printer, and I just bought a Pi and some other hardware from Microcenter to keep me busy.

There are downsides of course.  We were going to buy and sell our house...guess that's on hold for at least 3 weeks.  I feel bad for those in tough situations, but personally I don't worry about losing my job or my pay, and overall my stress and anxiety levels have been the lowest in a while.  Stay safe out there.

Message 2177 of 2,258
(10,058 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

The large majority of workers are working from home and I am loving it.  I get to sleep in a little, I can eat leftovers and don't have to leave for lunch like most days at the office.  I get to spend the days (and weeks) with the two people I love the most, with few distractions.  Sure there are parts of my job that require me to be on site, but we saw this coming and I started lining up work that could be done from home.  In my down time I have home projects, movies with the family, games (lots of family Minecraft sessions), my 3D printer, and I just bought a Pi and some other hardware from Microcenter to keep me busy.

My GF has to go to work 3 days a week, so I stay at home.

+ Got our 3 year old girl potty trained, while working.

+ When I want to go to work I can work in peace, nobody's there.

+ It takes 20 minutes, not 45.

I wander how much of the "working from home" will stick after this. It must be great for the environment, and it is for my stress levels (compensating the added stress of a virus).

Message 2178 of 2,258
(10,050 Views)

How about a new category for forum users? We have members, active participants, zealots, knights, etc.

I propose the new category of "Saints"

This category is for all those members who respond with grace, kindness, and actually keep on responding to threads like this one , no matter how frustrating it can be.

mcduff

Message 2179 of 2,258
(9,954 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

How about a new category for forum users? We have members, active participants, zealots, knights, etc.

I propose the new category of "Saints"

On a similar note...

Can some lovely moderating type person please remove all of the spam junk on the first page before I suggest a new category of "Flaming Demon"? 👿

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2180 of 2,258
(9,952 Views)