From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

If he's coughing now, they should have send him home two weeks ago.

This virus seems to have a two week incubation time, where it is contagious, but you don't get sick. Over here we have sick people that haven't been in contact with anyone known to be sick. So it seems some don't get sick at all (but do spread it).

With the normal flu .2% die, for this one it's 2%. But that is statistics, that might go up or down if numbers go up. This virus is relatively new (to humanity), so the rate at which it is spreading is (socially) dangerous if it's not being contained. The 'normal' flu infects 5% of the world population each year. This number and the infection rate is limited by vaccinations and antibodies from previous flues. This one might go over 40%. If it hits 40% all at once, there will be a big problem.

At least that's what I understand from what's been told...

Message 2091 of 2,258
(9,680 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

... and am hard pushed to find any rational explanation for this worldwide (over)reaction.

Well, as it currently stands, a 2% death rate is nothing to sneeze at.

Nobody would drive a car with similar odds. 🙂

(Even if it turns out to be an exercise for the CDC,  politicians, WHO, it served its purpose.)

0 Kudos
Message 2092 of 2,258
(9,657 Views)

Thank you all for your reports.

I had hoped to hear updates from the more reasoned side of the game.

I am leading toward the "Do not panic" side of the issue.

See below for a humorous approach.

Spoiler

Now that is frightening! (smiley-wink)

Now just in-case it does you any good Re disinfectants

Spoiler

Clorox is a common disinfectant. If you have trouble getting any, be aware that you can make your own using " Pool shock".

2 tablespoons of calcium hypochlorite to 3 cups of water.

The home made bleach could be used to keep stored water viable or purify questionable water if needed.

But the economic hit from shutting down parts of the economic machine is where I have a concern and again would like to hear about anything that Y'all have seen. The DOW and other markets could be on the same path that lead up to Black Friday and then the great depression. A rapid rise with no end in sight followed by sudden turn downward, again with no end in sight.

But again, not time to panic but it is a great time to prepare.

Spoiler

Thanks again for your thoughts and reports!

Ben  

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2093 of 2,258
(9,655 Views)

I always thought disinfectants are for bacteria, not viri. Just wondering what they are spraying in these regions and if we are just priming the system in for more resistant superbugs. Most bacteria are beneficial, and some might even help us in the fight. 😮

Message 2094 of 2,258
(9,649 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I always thought disinfectants are for bacteria, not viri. Just wondering what they are spraying in these regions and if we are just priming the system in for more resistant superbugs. Most bacteria are beneficial, and some might even help us in the fight. 😮

A quick glance at Wikipedia ( I get all of my misinformation from the web) includes virus when used to treat pools.

While I did not study organic chemistry, I believe that chlorine rips apart a lot of organics. And I believe viri are organic.

Now on the other hand, antibiotics are aimed at bacteria and given enough time and exposure can morph into resistant superbugs.

Feel free to correct me.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2095 of 2,258
(9,620 Views)

Yes, a flame-thrower is also a good anti-everything 😄

(I have no idea what they are actually spraying. High concentrations of chlorine are not good for us either....)

Message 2096 of 2,258
(9,621 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Yes, a flame-thrower is also a good anti-everything 😄

And yet I don't think I'd be keen to follow instructions to carefully clean my hands in/with a blowtorch...

GCentral
Message 2097 of 2,258
(9,614 Views)

I just saw a facebook meme to tell people in the Baltimore area how to wash their hands to prevent getting the corona virus.

Wash your hands like you would if you were about to remove your contact lenses after eating steamed crabs.

Message 2098 of 2,258
(9,605 Views)

"What is truth?"

This post on LinkedIn seems to be bogus but Would I have known it by looking at it?

Maybe it was the gargling thing but knowing what we find on the web we can trust ...

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 2099 of 2,258
(9,551 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Would I have known it by looking at it?

Maybe not by looking, but definitely by reading even one sentence. 😄

Message 2100 of 2,258
(9,547 Views)