From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

I do not think I am breaking any rules by bringing up the Corona virus so here goes.

Since we are a very distributed group, I would like to hear from anyone that can share anything that they have heard or seen about what can now be called a pandemic.

Has anyone been impacted by the virus?

Has anyone seen an impact on travel, activities, work, or availablity of supplies on consumables?

For our part...

We have seen our stocks take a big hit but our exposure is limited so it is not that bad.

My better-half had purchased surgical masks for our g-daughters printed with Panda Bear and other animal faces so if needed they can be styling when it does come time.

Thanks in advance for anything you have to share.

Stay safe, please!

Ben

Edit:

Just read a headline that the first death has occurred in the US. My math says that works out to just under 2% which I think is typical of a normal flue.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2081 of 2,258
(10,116 Views)

This link will get you to an article about an isolation kit. It was written with Ebola in mind but it is a good place to look to get us thinking.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2082 of 2,258
(10,109 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Has anyone been impacted by the virus?  

I know the European CLA Summit was cancelled due to the pandemic.  Does not really affect me, but it does make me wonder if NI Week will be canceled.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2083 of 2,258
(10,101 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Has anyone seen an impact on travel, activities, work, or availablity of supplies on consumables?  

Yep, this has been cancelled.

On the upside, I have months extra to gold plate my presentation. Or, more likely, to procrastinate starting.

Message 2084 of 2,258
(10,070 Views)

@Ben wrote:

My better-half had purchased surgical masks for our g-daughters printed with Panda Bear and other animal faces so if needed they can be styling when it does come time.

Over here they (the government) tell us those masks increase the risk. Mostly (I think) because there're not used properly?

At the moment, they cost 12EU (or so I'm told). Normally, I'd say .5 EU They should be changed every hour.

Message 2085 of 2,258
(10,067 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:
At the moment, they cost 12EU (or so I'm told). Normally, I'd say .5 EU They should be changed every hour.

A few weeks ago there was a news report that somebody was posting flyers at LAX with a phone number and saying to text him and he'll bring you a mask for $40 anywhere in the public terminal area. I am sure these were probably from home depot (at $10 per box of 50, i.e. 20 cents each)...

So clearly there are also business opportunities. 😮

Message 2086 of 2,258
(10,060 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Ben wrote:

Over here they (the government) tell us those masks increase the risk. Mostly (I think) because there're not used properly?

Masks are being more or less rationed here - if you go into a shop it's limited to one per person per day. Of course, there's no ration card, so you could just go from shop to shop...

Some people are wearing them, especially in store-front type jobs - I'm not sure what fraction of this is related to health/safety and what fraction is for the customers' peace of mind...

A more pressing concern were the rumours about toilet paper shortages... Apparently fake news (says the sign in the drugstore aisle next to the concerned products :P)

So I guess that some people stockpiling certain supplies is creating a higher than typical demand even if they aren't using them immediately, and this creates a possible fear of shortage, leading to further stockpiling, leading to... blah blah blah. 

GCentral
Message 2087 of 2,258
(10,053 Views)

Two persons in our sportsgroup work in pharmacies... they told us they totally out of masks and desinfection material..

(some reserved for clinics and medical practice.  They do have IPA  🙂

Shopping on saturday: Nuddles, Rice, flour were out in some stores...

I'm more in the DON'T PANIK fraction  😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 2088 of 2,258
(10,031 Views)

In addition to "Don't panic". Always make sure you know where your towel is.

Message 2089 of 2,258
(10,025 Views)

But on a serious note, I'm trying to keep my head as all around are losing theirs.

My youngest was sent home from school today because he coughed. I'm waiting to hear that suddenly all of the other kids in school mysteriously start coughing. I'm sure the Fortnite servers will be busy in the next few days.

I was in Strasbourg for a sport event at the weekend, half of the guys who wanted to go were told by their bosses that if they went abroad, they shouldn't come back to the office for two weeks. They stayed in Basel. A city where tens of thousands cross the border to France and Germany every day. It all seems so ridiculously silly that I'm starting to question my grasp on reality.  It's all so wonderfully pythonesque.

I've looked at the number published and am hard pushed to find any rational explanation for this worldwide (over)reaction. Am I missing something? Of course I don't want to get the virus, but I also don't want to die in a car crash. I'll still drive home this evening though....

This makes me think of that Neil de Grasse Tyson tweet that landed him in so much trouble.

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1158074774297468928?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7...

Message 2090 of 2,258
(10,023 Views)