BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

My elderly sister claims "Wet Tee-shirt contest practice area" is a poor choice.

What is your hot spot named,?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2041 of 2,258
(10,322 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

My elderly sister claims "Wet Tee-shirt contest practice area" is a poor choice.

What is your hot spot named,?

Mine has the boring standard one that came with the router.

Best I have seen on my travels is "Surveillance Van 6".

0xDEAD

0 Kudos
Message 2042 of 2,258
(10,287 Views)

While improving the security on my Dad's wifi router (putting a password on it!) I observed someone in the neighborhood had "FBI Surveillance Van" on theirs. 

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2043 of 2,258
(10,273 Views)

A neighbor of mine used to call his "Garbage in Yard".  It was because when they started digging to put on his addition, they found a lot of old glass bottles and other trash.  Apparently our lots were once part of an illegal, unofficial dump site and/or burn pit in the early part of the 1900's.  As the contractor dug out for the foundation, he found all this stuff and laid it out in the yard to see how much there was before it got thrown away.

It wound up being costly.  Because of the dump site, the dirt was not substantial enough to support a footing, so he had to pay extra for an engineer to come in and pay for some pilings to be sunk down to a deeper level to find firmer soil to support the addition.

When we did our addition, which was prior to his, we found a few old bottles and stuff, but nothing alarming.  Our yard might have been on the fringe of the dump site.

0 Kudos
Message 2044 of 2,258
(10,246 Views)

Lucky it didn't end up being a Super-Fund site!  

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2045 of 2,258
(10,242 Views)

I guess altenbach didn't want to start explaining Project Providers following the opening post...

I'm looking to create a subvi that only runs the first time LabVIEW is opened on the computer (every time you completely close LabVIEW and reopen it, it will run). I've been told this can be done by using a Boolean variable and setting the default setting to true, after the vi runs once it turns off, so that the case that contains this subvi is just skipped over.

I don't have any starting code, so I don't have anything to attach or show. I'm just not sure how to make the Boolean variable turn off after the first run 

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/A-subvi-that-runs-only-the-first-time-labview-is-opened/m-p/3926923...

GCentral
Message 2046 of 2,258
(10,187 Views)

I get a lot of meeting invitations from our sales team where I am expected to be some technical resource for a customer that I've never worked with before. That's all normal but every so often I'm introduced with some credentials I didn't know I had which can set expectations a bit high. I'm only 5 years out of college and got two NIWeek meeting invitations today where I was introduced as a "veteran embedded system developer" and "one of our senior applications engineers who specializes in IIoT applications".

It reminded me of an introduction I got from one of our sales team ~2 weeks after starting my current job. I was picking up some work previously being handled by another engineer and the customer was told that, "like Matt Pollock he [me] is also a senior embedded supporter" which is quite a standard to meet considering the other Matt has roughly 3x the experience and helped write the CLED exam.

Anyone else have some crazy high expectations set for them going into a new project? Also, any advice for tactfully resetting expectations?

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2047 of 2,258
(10,164 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

Anyone else have some crazy high expectations set for them going into a new project? Also, any advice for tactfully resetting expectations?

Own it.  Don't be cocky but others are putting you up on that pedestal for a reason, and you must be doing something right.  If you are being propped up in areas you aren't familiar with you can highlight the things you are an expert in.  "I can weight in on this topic but to be fair my expertise is more closely related to XYZ." 

I had crazy high expectations of me for years, and after not disappointing my boss or customers by failing them, I started trusting what they were saying more than what I thought of myself.  Even today my boss is setting goals for myself that I don't feel comfortable signing up for, but he knows we can do it, and I'm the one unsure of myself.  Also I've had a few almost cringe level conversations with people that were trying to give me a compliment and all I could do it tell them how they are wrong.  And that doesn't make them feel good.  They are trying to give a compliment and I'm telling them not to.  Listen to what they say, thank them graciously, and then move the subject on to something else like what they are passionate about, or what lead you to where you are, but try not to minimize what they said.  Giving genuine compliments or talking someone else up can sometimes make people feel vulnerable.

Message 2048 of 2,258
(10,146 Views)

I'm convinced that people put others onto pedestals in order to deflect the attention away from themselves.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 2049 of 2,258
(10,119 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

I'm convinced that people put others onto pedestals in order to deflect the attention away from themselves.

Sometimes. Not always.

For me at least, I value compliments most from people who I think themselves understand enough of what is being dealt with to be able to even make that judgement.

Other people just get a generic "thanks" or a smile.  I have started to stop trying to interpret other people's intentions. It's a hugely error-strewn enterprise. A lot of people don't even understand their OWN intentions, let alone me trying to understand what they don't even understand about themselves. The others, who try to flatter to distract, are normally clearly identificable by their body language (and the mismatch between what their eyes say and their body says). They get either ignored ot intensely scrutinised, depending on how important they are to my work.

Message 2050 of 2,258
(10,106 Views)