BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

On the other side of the parking lot I could see it and I confessed to my better-half that I was drooling as I approached it.

The engine shown in that video is actually a scaled down replica of one built in 1909. They prefer using bituminous coal to fire it and while they were doing a demo for me, I was showered with soot when they blasted steam into the exhaust and draw air in through the firebox. The wife was attempting to wipe me down but I stopped so I could wear the soot like a badge of honor.

That engine is about 20 HP. The ones I plan to build are about 2HP. I do not have the machine shop to handle the larger ones so I will just have to make do.

It was part of a Mother Earth News Fair held at Sevens Springs mountain resort in PA. Think NI week for preppers and the like.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1731 of 2,258
(9,983 Views)

Very nice engine! 🙂

When I see such simple electronic-free machines, I often wonder about how sustainable it would be. I imagine a post-apocalyptic scenario, when you have to run such machine. I guess the lifetime of the machine would be limited if you only own hand tools, no? I wonder what would be the most minimal toolset / workshop necessary to be able to keep alive such simple machines, or even build new ones??

The worst case if we need to start from iron mining 🙂 Ok, probably from old rubbish iron / metal we could manufacture the required parts, but it requires special machinery, like lathe, forge workshop, etc...

So the best is, I guess to own several such machines, and the unused ones could be the donors in case of engine failure...

We just lost so many old professions, for example, not too many people are still know how to build a wine-barrel any more. And even if it is written in a book, it would take a while to practice it to a working level... at least we will have lots of plastic (bottles, etc) even after the civilization ends 😄 I imagine, a new intelligent life form after us on Earth will base their technology simply on our plastic rubbish... 😄 

Message 1732 of 2,258
(9,971 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Very nice engine! 🙂

When I see such simple electronic-free machines, I often wonder about how sustainable it would be. I imagine a post-apocalyptic scenario, when you have to run such machine. I guess the lifetime of the machine would be limited if you only own hand tools, no? I wonder what would be the most minimal toolset / workshop necessary to be able to keep alive such simple machines, or even build new ones??

The worst case if we need to start from iron mining 🙂 Ok, probably from old rubbish iron / metal we could manufacture the required parts, but it requires special machinery, like lathe, forge workshop, etc...

So the best is, I guess to own several such machines, and the unused ones could be the donors in case of engine failure...

We just lost so many old professions, for example, not too many people are still know how to build a wine-barrel any more. And even if it is written in a book, it would take a while to practice it to a working level... at least we will have lots of plastic (bottles, etc) even after the civilization ends 😄 I imagine, a new intelligent life form after us on Earth will base their technology simply on our plastic rubbish... 😄 

I toyed with many of those question myself Blokk!

Plenty of scrap steel around so smelting iron should not be required.

I have a belt driven Smithy that I hope to upgrade to a Granite.

I own three sets of steam engine casting and I have another being machined for me and scheduled to ship later this year.

With one operational and three sets of casting that can be made operational, I need ONLY ( a four letter word) gear up the belt speed to run the lathe/mill/drill press.

Additionally I have an old drill press that someone converted to electric and may have originally been driven by an overhead shaft in a factory.

I still have to acquire the tools and gear to be able to cast my own components to be able to complete the "boot-strap" routine and use a steam engine to build a steam engine.

And then there is the detail of the steam boiler I have not acquired as of yet...

But once I have that figured out, we can skip over the stone age, bronze age, and animals used as energy sources right to the steam era when life for humans becomes relaxed enough to be able to rest on the week-ends and not have to work 7 days a week just to survive.

The goal is to THRIVE post-TEOTWAWKI and not just survive!

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1733 of 2,258
(9,964 Views)

Actually, barrel making is up, with the growth of small wineries, and the massive needs of the US Bourbon industry (the law in the US says barrels for making Bourbon can only be used once for that purpose, they are then sold to wine makers, craft breweries and makers of other types of whiskey).

As to maintenance of the old steam engines, it is mostly lubrication, of usually not very sophisticated bearings, replacing bushings when they wear out. Descaling the parts that hold water (boilers, etc.) if hard water is being used. They should last for generations with proper maintenance. The same is true for the early generation hydro powered generators, some of which are still in use 100 years later. The bearings, and brushes, which will wear, need regular maintenance. When equipment designs were based on hand calculations or slide rules, there were bigger safety margins added! Particularly when the science behind the metallurgy and other physics were less well understood. Big and beefy. We aren't tying to make an aircraft (though many have tried!)

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 1734 of 2,258
(9,964 Views)

@Ben wrote:

But once I have that figured out, we can skip over the stone age, bronze age, and animals used as energy sources right to the steam era when life for humans becomes relaxed enough to be able to rest on the week-ends and not have to work 7 days a week just to survive.

...and this is how the steam-punk literature will just become the reality of our future! 😄

Message 1735 of 2,258
(9,960 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

@Ben wrote:

...and this is how the steam-punk literature will just become the reality of our future! 

6 day work-weeks may have predated the "Iron Age"  Exodus 20:9

Spoiler
Yes, that involves a mandate of "Getting it all done" in six days.  I often fail at that requirementSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 1736 of 2,258
(9,949 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:

Actually, barrel making is up, with the growth of small wineries, and the massive needs of the US Bourbon industry (the law in the US says barrels for making Bourbon can only be used once for that purpose, they are then sold to wine makers, craft breweries and makers of other types of whiskey).

As to maintenance of the old steam engines, it is mostly lubrication, of usually not very sophisticated bearings, replacing bushings when they wear out. Descaling the parts that hold water (boilers, etc.) if hard water is being used. They should last for generations with proper maintenance. The same is true for the early generation hydro powered generators, some of which are still in use 100 years later. The bearings, and brushes, which will wear, need regular maintenance. When equipment designs were based on hand calculations or slide rules, there were bigger safety margins added! Particularly when the science behind the metallurgy and other physics were less well understood. Big and beefy. We aren't tying to make an aircraft (though many have tried!)

Exactly!

If one were attempting to purchase one of those old steam tractors, the price is dependent on the condition of the boiler, not the engine.

The ones I have use split bronze bearings that are machined from bronze half-round castings. No fancy bearing required.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1737 of 2,258
(9,945 Views)

My better half and I attended a Convention of States (CoS) presentation last night and I think that I can share this without violating any rules. Smiley Wink

The CoS is controlled by Article V of the constitution. the scenario plays out as follows;

1) State legislatures call for the convention.
2) After 2/3 of the states do the same then congress just sets the date and the place.
3) States send as many reps as they want but each state only gets one vote.
4) Any and everything can be discussed but only those things that get a majority vote move on.
5) If 2/3 of the state ratify the proposals then they become amendments.

So even if they propose to abolish the 2nd amendment, or toss out the constitution, it only takes 12 state to say no and it does not happen. The founding fathers were clever!

So if you are not happy with Washington and what comes out of that place, check out the Convention of States to learn more.

Stopping now before I get into trouble.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1738 of 2,258
(9,871 Views)

Actually, Article V says it takes 3/4ths of "the several states" to ratify an amendment. 🙂 Which works out to roughly the 12, or 13, depending which way you round, having the final say.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 1739 of 2,258
(9,858 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:

Actually, Article V says it takes 3/4ths of "the several states" to ratify an amendment. 🙂 Which works out to roughly the 12, or 13, depending which way you round, having the final say.

Thank you!

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1740 of 2,258
(9,847 Views)