BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProgrammerHumor hackathon

I saw a reddit thread mentioning a hackathon and was intrigued, then I read a bit deeper and saw that it's not going to be quite as productive as one could (should) be.  https://www.programmerhumor.org/Hackathon

Here's their description:

Our subreddit has had a far-reaching history of making simple applications impossible to use. In our first Hackathon, you'll join that legacy by creating a program in any language of your choice which is as tedious to use as possible.

I wonder what we could come up with, but it's not worth the effort.  Code obfuscation for homework hustlers on the other hand...

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(9,020 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

I saw a reddit thread mentioning a hackathon and was intrigued, then I read a bit deeper and saw that it's not going to be quite as productive as one could (should) be.  https://www.programmerhumor.org/Hackathon

Our subreddit has had a far-reaching history of making simple applications impossible to use. In our first Hackathon, you'll join that legacy by creating a program in any language of your choice which is as tedious to use as possible.

I wonder what we could come up with, but it's not worth the effort.  Code obfuscation for homework hustlers on the other hand...

It would be hard to out-do what it takes to fix the time displayed by my Jeeps clock that constantly lags and is easier to keep track of the current offset than to mess with the button ballet need to set the time.

Make me thing of the old-school O-scopes that had a zillion knobs that few understood what they did compared with modern scopes that have all of the same options but they are buried in sub-menus of sub-menus.

Never mind me, my coffee has not kicked in yet...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(8,971 Views)

Some code posted here would qualify directly. For example, this one could be submitted out-of-the-box. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(8,967 Views)

It still might be fun to see what bad UI designs we can come up with...

For example the classic "Select DOB" with bad math so you frustratingly have to click twice every once in awhile.

Bad UI2.PNG

Bad UI.png

Message 4 of 10
(8,947 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Make me thing of the old-school O-scopes that had a zillion knobs that few understood what they did compared with modern scopes that have all of the same options but they are buried in sub-menus of sub-menus.

That's how I got a nicely working TEK 465 🙂

The previous owner retired and the younger ones didn't knew how to setup the trigger 😄 😄

For 95% of their work the 'AUTO SETUP' button works fine, for the rest they call me (or ignore it) 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 5 of 10
(8,931 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

The previous owner retired and the younger ones didn't knew how to setup the trigger 😄 😄

For 95% of their work the 'AUTO SETUP' button works fine, for the rest they call me (or ignore it) 😉

I used to carry one of those in the back of my car when I was a field engineer with DEC. I read the manual cover to cover and if I set it up right I could read the data being read from one of the heads of a disk drive. It earned me high quality points when I walked in the computer room run by a lovely young lady that eventually became my better half. She has more than once told me that me arriving with a scope really impressed her.

I eventually had to give it up but latter scored three HP scopes of the same era. One is on a scope cart in my shop and the other two are "hot spares".

"No sub-menus required".

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,915 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

Sweet deal.  I grew up learning both, but obviously have more exposure to the digital ones.  I've been thinking of finally getting a hobby scope and Rigol seems to be one of the preferred ones for the maker space.  A 4 channel 50MHz, that can be upgraded to 100MHz with SPI and Serial decoding new is around $350.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(8,913 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

Sweet deal.  I grew up learning both, but obviously have more exposure to the digital ones.  I've been thinking of finally getting a hobby scope and Rigol seems to be one of the preferred ones for the maker space.  A 4 channel 50MHz, that can be upgraded to 100MHz with SPI and Serial decoding new is around $350.

While it has been a long time I think the TEK 465 ran about $5K-10K.

An HP LAN analyzer (hardware version of Wire Shark) was over $100K.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(8,910 Views)

@Ben wrote:

While it has been a long time I think the TEK 465 ran about $5K-10K.

And it still can't save to USB...to be fair they are going for like $200-$500 on ebay now.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(8,905 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

I ran across a beautiful example just yesterday.

A nifty tool to run YourNewPlugin.lvproj and verify it meets the plugin contract.  First up, look in folder at relative path to find configuration file "*.<extension>,  if no such file exists at the expected location, prompt user to select a *.<extension> file,  browse options select existing file only, no extension filter.  Read filename control terminal in a while loop at 200msec and pass value into case structure.  Select case w/ latching boolean.  Do nothing in the false case. In the true case test that file path is not empty,  does exist (yup if it aint empty it had to exist but per browse options) and that the filepath stripped filename has a string after match to \. (Escaped special character period since period matches any char except newline) exactly equall to <extension> case sensitive.  If it does not clear filepath control, use prompt user to notify user that they need to select a file with an *.<extension> extension with a second popup and iterate while loop when that modal dialog box is OK'D.  If it does match exit while loop passing filepath out to caller.

Use case: oh yeah, I'm the developer and forgot about adding the plugin configuration.<extension> file or a default config file.  There is no cancel so, I'm in an infinate loop until I just select a file that cannot be correct and continue along my merry way thowing errors all over the place about how my configuration file is wrong in every specific detail and what each lack in that file causes in extra errors within the calling framework via simple error handelers all along the downstream side set to clear the error when acknowledged. 

On the plus side ! The original developer remembered to rip off the abort button on the caller.

I think that's getting a rewrite. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(8,809 Views)