BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oldest VI you've ever created that you still use (minor modifications through the years permitted)

1995(?) LV V4?? I wrote myself a little RS232 terminal program .. to test serials COM with various gages/controller  and tweak the control lines.

rewrote it 1998 (first job , rs232 switched from DLL to VISA, no more 'run from disk without install' .. I still have a disk with it...  somewhere)  and since then it got some more bells and whistles ... rewrote it again,  now with events, but the old version was reused here and then to make a Q&D inst driver. The occasions for recycling get more and more rare...  less RS232 more PXI(e) 🙂  only GPIB remains ...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 11 of 16
(3,256 Views)

My first application (LabVIEW 4.0) was running untouched for over 20 years. I kept the source around and occasionally upgraded to the newest version just to be able to open the code in newer versions, but the application was never changed again. A couple of years ago, I took all that old code and hardware (W95 computer with 1.2 GB HD, 120MHz Pentium 1, 64MB memory, ISA bus DAQ!) and rewrote it with minor modifications, keeping the UI mostly intact, but using events and some other upgrade on the code side. Now it has been running on a SB-RIO for a few years, but many of the subVIs (e.g. a couple of fancy action engines to communicate between parallel loops) have been retained unchanged. These were created before the term action engine even existed. 😄

Message 12 of 16
(3,232 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

...(e.g. a couple of fancy action engines to communicate between parallel loops) have been retained unchanged. These were created before the term action engine even existed. 😄

According the hard-copy I own of "LabVIEW Applications Development - A Course on Advanced LabVIEW Programming Techniques" From VIEWPOINT SYSTEMS it was copyrighted in 1998.

So which came firs the chicken Your version or Theirs?

Smiley Happy

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(3,222 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

...(e.g. a couple of fancy action engines to communicate between parallel loops) have been retained unchanged. These were created before the term action engine even existed. 😄

According the hard-copy I own of "LabVIEW Applications Development - A Course on Advanced LabVIEW Programming Techniques" From VIEWPOINT SYSTEMS it was copyrighted in 1998.

So which came firs the chicken Your version or Theirs?

Smiley Happy

Ben

This was ~1996 and the term for the most simple versions was "LV2 style globals" (or similar) back then. I expanded the concept by adding more modes to create a "shared consciousness" between DAQ and UI loops, where the UI loop would set booleans (abort, discard, etc.) and read live data, while the DAQ loop would update the live data and react and reset the booleans, etc. (simplifed, there was more functionality than described and there were several such action engines (before the term was even coined ;)).

Message 14 of 16
(3,215 Views)

Delay.VI was originally written in Nov 2001 in 5.2.1 It has had only minor changes that employed new features as they came available e.g. the addition of the U64 datatype simplified some old math.

Time to XL.vi has the most thread solutions of any single vi on the forums and was liely written @ 6mos after the Timestamp datatype was introduced

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Download All
Message 15 of 16
(3,168 Views)

I have airbag center software that I developed when I was hired by Johnson Controls in 2000. We had two or three major upgrades over the years but there is stuff in there from the beginning that I never had time to make better. I think I was using LabVIEW 5.1 for that work. It ended with version 2017. I still had a list of things that I wanted to change. There where things that got easier to do over the years. It would have taken a lot of time to rip out the old stuff that worked and add the new easier to take care of stuff.

I had a lot of safety (crash testing) equipment that I built for them that is still in use.  It was gently upgraded over the years. I guess that speaks well that we upgraded what we developed vs starting over every time we did an upgrade.

Tim
GHSP
Message 16 of 16
(3,037 Views)