BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAdam 2000a Digital Audio Analyzer System

Hey all,

 

I recently (yesterday) came into possession of a semi-functional McAdam 2000a Audio Analyzer.  It has several modules, including a scope, variac, voltage and power meter, distortion analyzer, and a function generator.

 

Currently, it only functions as a variac with a digital readout.  I'm going to clean it up, and see how much of it (if any) can be repaired.

 

The reason I am here is because manuals and general knowledge regarding McAdam analyzers are few and far between, and wanted to know if anyone around here has seen or restored one before.  Any info or insights would be much appreciated!

 

Thanks guys

 

-Jim

 

This is what it looks like currently:

WP_20140208_005.jpg

-Jim B
Applications Engineer, National Instruments
CLD, CTD
Message 1 of 13
(8,293 Views)

Nice boat anchor 😄

 

Have fun!

 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'


0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(8,240 Views)

Turns out the oscilloscope was just unplugged internally.  It's way out of spec, but does still reproduce a signal input!

 

Progress!

-Jim B
Applications Engineer, National Instruments
CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(8,198 Views)

@James-B wrote:

Hey all,

 

I recently (yesterday) came into possession of a semi-functional McAdam 2000a Audio Analyzer.  It has several modules, including a scope, variac, voltage and power meter, distortion analyzer, and a function generator.

 

Currently, it only functions as a variac with a digital readout.  I'm going to clean it up, and see how much of it (if any) can be repaired.

 

The reason I am here is because manuals and general knowledge regarding McAdam analyzers are few and far between, and wanted to know if anyone around here has seen or restored one before.  Any info or insights would be much appreciated!

 

Thanks guys

 

-Jim

 

This is what it looks like currently:

 


WOW!

 

I can suggest a method to test <Oh us old navy guys>

 

  • From a distance approximately equal to your ship's Feeboard:
    • Position UUT over Starboard or Port rail
    • Drop UUT
    • Record Bouyancy Characteristics______________________
  • End Float Test

 


"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 13
(8,190 Views)

@JÞB wrote:


 


WOW!

 

I can suggest a method to test <Oh us old navy guys>

 

  • From a distance approximately equal to your ship's Feeboard:
    • Position UUT over Starboard or Port rail
    • Drop UUT
    • Record Bouyancy Characteristics______________________
  • End Float Test

 


Just to "Bring it into port" for all you all Naval gurus-

 

I actually wrote that test on a "Gold" MRC as a ET3 onboard the USS San Berardino (LST 1189)   The Maintainence Requirement Card was used to document the removal of pieces-parts  left over after I and another Electronics Technician subjected a shipboard set of "KWR-37's" to "Destruction" using a fire-axe and a sledge-hammer.  For interested parties- the San Berdoo was somewhere over the Mariana Trench when compliance with the MRC was recorded.  

 

Results were: "Did not float"


"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(8,135 Views)

Maybe the "David Letterman" show found out about your work, I haven't seen their "Will it float?" skit, with the "Grinder Girl", in a while!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5


LabVIEW Champion



0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(8,108 Views)

Call it a hunch, but I'm going to say that it won't float...

 

It probably won't blend, though, either.  Smiley Happy

 

Also, I see that there's absolutely no love for "benchtop" instruments in the LabVIEW forums!  😛

 

-Jim B
Applications Engineer, National Instruments
CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(8,101 Views)

@James-B wrote:

Call it a hunch, but I'm going to say that it won't float...

 

It probably won't blend, though, either.  Smiley Happy

 

Also, I see that there's absolutely no love for "benchtop" instruments in the LabVIEW forums!  😛

 



We LOVE benchtop instruments!  We just hate it that "Bench-fodder" technicians can make mistakes that a program canoot repeat !.


"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(8,097 Views)

@James-B wrote:
...

Also, I see that there's absolutely no love for "benchtop" instruments in the LabVIEW forums!  😛

 


James-B,

wrong about that!   At the bench I prefer knobs! No need for menues!

And even more if they glove. Tube rulez 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'


0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(8,082 Views)

James-B wrote:Also, I see that there's absolutely no love for "benchtop" instruments in the LabVIEW forums!  😛

That's because NI makes all of our instruments modular.Smiley Tongue

 

Seriously, there are certain instruments I have to have as a "benchtop".  Oscilloscope is the main one.  I know NI has their digitzing cards, but they are a pain to perform debugging with.  That's why I have a tektronix scope sitting in all of my test racks.  Nothing like a full instrument with knobs and buttons to play with when the pressure is on.


GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 10 of 13
(8,067 Views)