BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lets hail King Ben!!!!

Congrats Ben.  Thanks for all of the help in the past.  I toast to you!!
BJD1613

Lead Test Tools Development Engineer

Philips Respironics

Certified LV Architect / Instructor
Message 201 of 234
(6,937 Views)

BJD1613 wrote:
Congrats Ben.  Thanks for all of the help in the past.  I toast to you!!

And yet another one of my CLA's chimes in!

Thank you Brandon!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 202 of 234
(6,932 Views)

Vaibhav wrote:

Now I am learning that basically these names came from Hebrew, so I guess they all have meanings.

Actually, only a relatively small part of them comes from Hebrew. There are many other sources of influence (Greek, Norse, Arab, etc.) and there are also many names which been transformed or adapted. For instance, John (which comes from Hebrew, but never existed in it - John the apostle's Hebrew name was Yohanan) is also Juan, Ivan, Jiovanni, Sean, Johann, etc.

The name TST is simply the name of my company. My boss was the one who originally created the account and I never changed the name.

As for the Active status, you get that at 200 posts.

You're welcome Ray.

(Life has capacity to become a "brand new" thing each day)

rolfk wrote:

It's probably just my western ignorance but I had a soft smile on my face when getting to the word Dhar (holds/plays) or (holds/lifts) and remembering the earlier Dharm (good). Not sure if there is any possibility in Indian that words with the same beginning derive from the same root as it is often in western languages.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Rolf, if that could bring a soft smile on your face then it's not due to an ignorance, but that's a good catch in your careful eyes. You're right, the words Dharma and Dhar are related. As you are now aware of the meaning of Dhar ("holder" basically), Dharma (or Dharm), which is derived from "Dhar", means "holder of the universe" or "holder of the people." Which is to say, the "duty" holds the people. The whole universe/world (in normal case, its people's community) is held (bound) by Dharma (in English, "Religion"  by translation). It is the nature of an object or a human being.

Some pronunciations that I missed to clarify (since they are obvious to me), in the previous post-

Mahábhárata, Dharma, Arjúna, Kríshna, Gopál, Móhan, Muralidhar, Giridhar

So you see that those trailing "a" have no stress, so they are not pronounced as "aa" and only the stressed (á) characters have to be pronounced as "aa."

@ tst

Thanks. Actually I got confused, because when I was made "Active" I checked my profile, and it still showed 198/199 posts (not replies). So was not sure. Perhaps the profile page's post count was not updated, although it (the real count) was already traced.

I, too, after asking you, guessed about "tst" being your company's user name. 😉

Yes, John is one of the most widely used and changed names. In Portugal, it has become João (with a nasal "a" - Joano).

Vaibhav
Message 204 of 234
(6,904 Views)

tst wrote:

There are many other sources of influence (Greek, Norse, Arab, etc.) and there are also many names which been transformed or adapted. For instance, John (which comes from Hebrew, but never existed in it - John the apostle's Hebrew name was Yohanan) is also Juan, Ivan, Jiovanni, Sean, Johann, etc.

Indeed.  My name "Shane" is the English version of an Irish name "Seán" which is in turn smply an Irish version of an English name "John" (Almost recursive!) which is in turn an English version of a german name "Johann" which is relatively close to "Yohanan".

All essentially the same name.

But don't get me started on "Shawn"..... Strange thngs happen when you cross the Atlantic. :smileytongue:

Phew.

Message Edited by Intaris on 09-28-2009 03:11 PM
Message 205 of 234
(6,895 Views)

Wow,

Race conditions everywhere... 😉

Intaris wrote: 

Strange thngs happen when you cross the Atlantic. :smileytongue:

You mean from East to West or either way? 😛

Vaibhav
Message 206 of 234
(6,890 Views)

tst wrote:

One name which does directly mean "gift" is Mathan, which I assume makes Mathan happy right about now.

Thanks tst. Yes you are right. Very happy about that. But i think you all people are gift to me and i consider this forum as a treasure.

Thanks for the interesting info Vaibhav..... 

Partha, why no response from you till now?

Message Edited by Madboy(Mathan) on 09-28-2009 11:18 PM
Message 207 of 234
(6,877 Views)

Madboy(Mathan) wrote:

Partha, why no response from you till now?

Hi Mathan,

My Off was closed for holi(y)days, viz, Saraswathi [Hindu Godess for Education] Pooja/Ayudh [Tools/Weapons] Pooja on Sunday & Vijaya[Victory] Dhasami on Mon Smiley Happy and I do not have internet connection in my residence. Smiley Sad

Just now came to Off & logged in & started reading the conversations...

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Message 208 of 234
(6,868 Views)

parthabe wrote:

Hi Mathan,

My Off was closed for holi(y)days, viz, Saraswathi [Hindu Godess for Education] Pooja/Ayudh [Tools/Weapons] Pooja on Sunday & Vijaya[Victory] Dhasami on Mon Smiley Happy and I do not have internet connection in my residence. Smiley Sad

So enjoyed Holidays? One thing Partha, Ayudh Pooja - Tools Ok. But please don't use the word weapons for it. I too had that 3 days holidays and enjoyed well. So how did you feel after reading these interesting conversations. I expected a big post from you.

0 Kudos
Message 209 of 234
(6,859 Views)

Madboy(Mathan) wrote:

parthabe wrote:

Hi Mathan,

So enjoyed Holidays? One thing Partha, Ayudh Pooja - Tools Ok. But please don't use the word weapons for it. I too had that 3 days holidays and enjoyed well. So how did you feel after reading these interesting conversations. I expected a big post from you.

And I didn't have any of those holidays, neither anything of NavRatri (Nine Nights festival). Smiley Mad

Yes Partha, we're waiting for your words.

Vaibhav
0 Kudos
Message 210 of 234
(6,852 Views)