BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW features that nobody uses

Maybe there are features in LabVIEW that have been retained from the stone ages that nobody actually uses anymore.

This thread should act as a repository of such lead nuggets. 😄

Message 1 of 27
(9,813 Views)

Triggered by this thread, We have it on good authority that there are some things that nobody actually uses.

The feature discussed is enabling database access for a subVI.

Is there anyone who actually uses this? What does it actually do? Where is it useful? (Here is an old article).

Message 2 of 27
(9,813 Views)

Sorry but VI Logging is used by my boss every chance he gets. See that thread for more.

But I will help out with...

1)

Edits the control icons. I do that but have never seen others do so.

2)

VI hierachy group by library.

I use but based on what it looks like when you colapse a library in 2013 nobody (who Beta Tests) uses that.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 27
(9,799 Views)

@Ben wrote:
But I will help out with...

1)

Glad to see I'm not the only one.  I find it especially useful if you view a constant as an icon.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(9,781 Views)

Ben a écrit :

1)

Me too.

Each ctl, without exception, receives an icon. Specific templates differentiate them from the VIs.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(9,736 Views)

I can't remember the last time I used :

LV menu >> Operate >>

• Print at Completion
  • Log at Completion
  • Data Logging

Do you use these features of LV ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(9,731 Views)

I used Print at Completion for one project.  Ok, I actually just inherited the project.  But still, the print out looked horrible.  All that needed printed up was a graph.  So I rewrote the VI to just print the graph.  I'm pretty sure it was just a simple invoke node is all I had to do.  Don't get me started on the Rube ridden code set...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(9,708 Views)

Stacked sequence structure. NI doesn't even claim it any more. Notice the sequence frame is gone on the LV 2014 icon. Smiley Happy

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(9,707 Views)

Units.

On occasion I have tried to use units in numerics but it gets so complicated to do anything that I quickly give up.

Message 9 of 27
(9,704 Views)

@Bob_Y. wrote:

Units.

On occasion I have tried to use units in numerics but it gets so complicated to do anything that I quickly give up.

The units feature is awesome! However, I agree it can get complicated so it's been a long time since I used it.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(9,701 Views)