From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV features you wished you'd understood/used earlier

Eugh. I've finally tracked down the source of a reference leak which was causing me untold headaches on closing of an executable/VI. I'd been aware of this bug feature concern (as an old employer of mine insisted we track these things as 😉 ) for a while, but not really given much thought as to how to track it down.

Enter the Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit. Within seconds - OK, minutes, after figuring out that our corporate firewall was blocking ports 3363/3364, and changing to port 21 - I had highlighted the source of the error. In hindsight, I can see there are a number of situations where DETT would have been helpful in chasing down issues, rather than a lot of the more basic tools I usually use.

This got me thinking - are there any LV features that you wish you'd known existed sooner?

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(12,688 Views)

DETT is one of those tools I really need to play around with.  I used it breifly to try to find a memory leak.  I did find the leak, plus a lot more.

The one tool I wish I had found a lot sooner is the "switcher-roo" (or whatever you want to call it).  Hold down the CTR key with the wire tool and go over a node with two inputs.  Just a click and the wires are swapped.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(12,680 Views)

I think the official term is "switcheroo." Darren uses it in his Tips and Tricks presentation.

It also works with the true and false inputs of the Select function in LV 2013.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(12,642 Views)

You seem to imply that users understand what they use. 😄

Message 4 of 12
(12,635 Views)

A blast from the past - http://thinkinging.com/category/openg/i-couldnt-live-without/

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(12,604 Views)

Of course, you don't need to understand how a tool works to understand its uses.

jcarmody - thanks for the link!

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(12,564 Views)

@thoult wrote:

... I can see there are a number of situations where DETT would have been helpful in chasing down issues...

The DETT like the "Show Buffer Allocations" are instructive in that they show us things that may not be obvious. Once we see an issue using either tool we tend to modify our behaviour so that we do not need to use those tools again ... until we are due for our next leason.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(12,508 Views)

Sorry, I did not intend to kill the thread.

Has anyone experimented with creating short cut-menus for libraries?

Spoiler

Create mnu... sync to directory ... include in library... Library>>>Properties>>>Select mnu will show up in short cut menu when you pop-up on a member of the library

If you have not, you may want to look into that.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 8 of 12
(12,429 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Sorry, I did not intend to kill the thread.

Ben

I tried this. Gave up in the end.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(12,405 Views)

@Ben wrote:

If you have not, you may want to look into that.

You are in luck sir.  I haven't used this feature myself but the new VIPM package builder 2014 comes with this option.

http://jkisoft.com/vipm/docs/2014/index.html?turl=addpalettetolibraryorclass.htm

Message 10 of 12
(12,389 Views)