BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping the Nuggets cooking, or hearding cats 101....

Anyone else interested in joining me to carry on the nuggets?

Darren did a great job starting the tradition, and it will be missed by the community.

I have a nugget i can share to start things rolling.

If we could get ten of us to commit to 5 nuggets a year, we could fil the gap.

We are just looking for a unique "topic for discussion" each week. We have already shown that we can "cook up a tasty treat" given an arbitrary "ingredient" (yeah I am pushing the food analogy a  bit far Smiley Wink ).

So.....

Are you in to help?

Should we just let the nuggets idea shrivel up?

If Y'all are game how can we work-out a schedule?

Any thouhgts?

Ben

PS: Darren, you could do a cameo appearance every now and then if you'd like. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Ben on 01-19-2007 04:52 PM

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1 of 79
(19,681 Views)

I agree that it must be carried on.  The withdrawal would be too much to go cold turkey, as many have stated.

One idea I had if you are doing a rotational schedule is to have some monthly theme.  So different people could contribute their nugget about customizing controls or time-saving tips, etc.

I hope to see many more tasty nuggets from you gurus.

JDave

Message 2 of 79
(19,668 Views)
Ben,

I think this is a good idea. I know it is difficult to come up with ideas on a schedule over an extended period of time. Darren has provided a great service to the community and we would honor him by continuing the column.

If there are those who would like to contribute, but are afraid to commit for 5 nuggets, even a single contribution may be of value. It would be a bit more work for the "Coordinator," but may be worth it in terms of value to the community.

I will commit to helping by coming up with >= five nuggets over the next year. (Now I have to get to work and think of something).

Lynn
Message 3 of 79
(19,652 Views)
The nice thing about Darren's nuggets was the fact that they were exceptionally good in a LabVIEW sense but also very well written. One important thing that needs to be addressed is how can we keep the standards very high. We don't want to flood the board with trivial nuggets of fools gold.  ("Hey, I just discovered local variables, see how I can now eliminate most wires!" :))
  • Should we just collect a few names of people that commit for a certain number of nuggets as per Ben's suggestion?
  • Should we have a comittee that accepts nugget suggestions from anyone, then invites the submitters of the top entries to write a nugget?
  • We could have "Champions Nuggets" written by LabVIEW champions who could also incorporate public sugggestions (giving proper credit to the source, of course).
... just some ideas!
Message 4 of 79
(19,649 Views)

I could also try to help and I volunteer to do the first one, since I got an idea over at the LAVA forums, and I would probably forget it by next week. Smiley Very Happy

I agree that we need some sort of QA system, or at the very least a coordination system.

Thanks for your offers of help!

We'll let tst get us cooking with the idea from LAVA for the week starting 22-Jan-2007.

I pencil myself in for the week of 29-Jan-2007.

Until we get more organized we can make due with just posting to this thread to let others know when you will be posting a nugget.

As far as QA is concerned...

That will become an issue if we have more nuggets than we can handle. Smiley Surprised

Until then, I will be happy with filling the gap with whatever support we can get. Smiley Wink

Thank you!

Ben 

Pssst... Christian is just 2 postings short of Zealousness!

Message Edited by Ben on 01-21-2007 11:12 AM

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 79
(19,607 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Pssst... Christian is just 2 postings short of Zealousness!

Yeah, I noticed that too. I was thinking that I could concede and let him use his 5000th post for the first-ever Community Nugget™, but he would need one post to acknowledge it and that would mean he won't be able to post for a whole day. Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by tst on 01-21-2007 08:15 PM

(19,602 Views)
Hmm, apparently I didn't quite grasp the effect my retirement from nugget-writing would have on the LabVIEW community.  You guys go ahead with whatever plans you make for writing your own nuggets, but as you can see here, my retirement lasted all of a week.  Yes, the nuggets will still be (occasionally) cooking...

-D
Message 8 of 79
(19,567 Views)

Well for my part only...

I was willing to fill the gap but I do not intend to compete (sp?).

I'd hate to see the effort I put into my nugget go to waste though. I'll through some text together to go with the example I developed and send it your way.

Thanks you for reconcidering Darren!

bEN

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 79
(19,535 Views)

Very nice start tst!

Unless I hear otherwise I am still planning to do one next week 29-Jan-2007.

I hope it will illustrate that the high quality shown by Darren and tst's Nuggets is NOT required. Smiley Surprised

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 79
(19,471 Views)