BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping the Nuggets cooking, or hearding cats 101....

Here's a little thought I had.

We want to keep these nuggets on a high level. This requires talent, hard work or both, but most people (including me) are not natural-born poets. You can get your text (as well your code) to be much better after a review.

So my tip for all future nugget writers - prepare your nugget in advance.

Write it a week or two before you plan on posting it. You don't have to write it all in one go. You can do it just a couple of minutes at a time over a period of time. After you write it, let it sit for a few days without touching it. Then, come back to it and see if you can improve it.

Also, if relevant, prepare images to go with your nuggets. Remember, an image is worth a 1000 words. Try to have clean images (without clutter) which will only convey the point you are trying to make. Anything that doesn't help convey that point will distract readers.

If you want, you can even use the forum editor to see how your nugget will look. When you embed images (using the Insert an Imagebutton), you can provide a URL of a file on your hard drive. You will then see the image, since it already exists at the URL you provided. You can also preview the post to see exactly what it looks like. Just make sure to really upload the images when you are posting the actual nugget. Smiley Wink

And one last tip - if you're uploading a VI (although I believe most nuggets should be explainable through text and images only) save it to the earliest possible version. If necessary, try contacting someone with earlier versions privately so that they can save it for you.

And, above all, live long and prosper HAVE FUN doing it. Smiley Very Happy

If nobody else wants to, I can do this week as well.

Anybody?

Hi tst,

I would not mind.

Re:the frequency of Nuggets

The thought occurred to me that the Nuggets may benifit from some irregularity. Studies have shown that addiction grows as a result if intermitant possitive feedback. in the case of Nuggets, this would mean that the lack of a Nugget every now and then could actually increase the Nugget readership. Of course this assumes the Nuggets miantain their quality.

So...

I am going to collect my Nugget ideas and scatter them about on an infrequent basis.

If you decide to be  the Nuggeteer for 5-Feb-2007, you will not be stepping on my feet. Smiley Happy

Thank you for your help tst!

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 13 of 79
(12,661 Views)

For anyone looking for Nugget foder, you may want to review the "Interesting Posts" thread.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=BreakPoint&message.id=511&jump=true

There you will find a lot of ideas there waiting to be "cooked up".

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 14 of 79
(12,658 Views)

Seems we did not get a nugget this week, maybe we can do an official sign-up list here.

Let's try this: I have created a public google calender to be used for nugget scheduling.

The LabVIEW Nugget Schedule

Here you can see what Mondays are still open. Anyone who wants to contribute, please post in this thread and I will add it to the calender. I am also looking for some volunteers (official title: Nugget Schedule Moderator :))  that want edit access to the calender so we can share the workload. 😉

If you want to contribute a nugget, please post:

1. Forum user name (well, duhh, I could get that also from the post panel ;))
  2. Desired date (Modays only):
  3. Topic (optional):
  4. Target audience: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced.

Let's see volunteers! 😄

Message 15 of 79
(12,585 Views)

How about leading by example? Smiley Very Happy

I do have another nugget (probably for intermediate and advanced), but I will need to do some work before it will be ready. Maybe later this week. I can't gurantee delivery for next monday, but even if you pen me in, I don't think this has to be a super-strict schedule.

As another addition, I suggest that anyone writing a nugget will add this at the end:

For a list of past nuggets, see here.
If you want to write a nugget yourself, see here.

It will probably also be well if we formulated a proper text with advice on how to approach this (write and wait, use images, etc.) and place it somewhere where it will stand out when we link to it.

@tst wrote:
How about leading by example? Smiley Very Happy
OK, I penciled myself in for next Monday. 😄
Message 17 of 79
(12,567 Views)

I have a half dozen cooking and have not made up my mind on what I want to do first. Once I make up my mind I'll get around to writting it. Until then I do not want to commit to anything.

Oh what the he#$ ! Smiley Surprised

Pencil me in for the first Monday in March.

Ben

I reserve the right to pull out at the last minute for no good reason.  Smiley Wink

Message Edited by Ben on 02-13-2007 05:24 PM

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 79
(12,557 Views)

@Ben wrote:
I reserve the right to pull out at the last minute for no good reason.  Smiley Wink
Ben, I can give you edit access to the calender so you can delete you entries even without my permission. 😄
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 79
(12,552 Views)

Hi Christian,

Please e-mail me the details on how to edit the calendar.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 79
(12,526 Views)