BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping the Nuggets cooking, or hearding cats 101....

The approach that I took with my nuggets was to post each one to the LabVIEW forum (because I think the discussion of the nugget was often more valuable than the nugget itself), then I would update the Darren's Nuggets NI Community document with a link to the new nugget.  That way, there's a single location that aggregates all the nuggets, but each one gets the widest audience for discussion on the LabVIEW forum.

Message 61 of 79
(6,043 Views)

@Darren wrote:

The approach that I took with my nuggets was to post each one to the LabVIEW forum (because I think the discussion of the nugget was often more valuable than the nugget itself), then I would update the Darren's Nuggets NI Community document with a link to the new nugget.  That way, there's a single location that aggregates all the nuggets, but each one gets the widest audience for discussion on the LabVIEW forum.

Thank you!

I agree that the discussion was often quite revealing and have learned much more (and thought much more) about the concept behind your nuggets because of the discussions.

Not leaving out the nuggets penned by Ben or Darrin K. (AKA the "white power ranger")  Search my Tags "Required_Reading" and "Forum_Tips".  IDK if the LabVIEW FAQ board is a total secret  ( Laura F. - thanks for the edit on the nugget!  If this needs an edit I'll understand)

There is a PROPOSED option to submit a thread for FAQ.  Frankly, the Nugget Series I have offered to pen is geared towards inclusion as a FAQ piece.  Somewhere between a KB and a buried Nugget.  I look forward to participation in the series!  (I - Bet -  I - LEARN - A - LOT!)

<Set "Sea Story time" = True>

While I was a Navy ET I had the PLEASURE to become an instructor at ET "A" School.  As an instructor MY goal was to avoid being awakened at OH dark-thirty AM ( 0-dark-thirty for non-military timekeepers) to repair down equipment.  I learned more from answering the "novice's" questions than I ever learned as either a studii or a practitioner of "Electronics maintenance and repair."  I found that I needed to understand the "studii" thought process and still communicate complex ideas and instill complex methodology.  Not rocket science! electrons obey Ohm's Law!  but, one of my most trying students was 2 semesters away from a Aeronautical engineering degree.  Sharp cookies can ask questions that "blow you into the whiteboard!"

<Set "Sea Story time" = Off>

OR, in other words, participation in the forums has considerably "upped my game" BECAUSE of volunteers that have donated their time and skills. I hope to get even more for myself out of returning the favor.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 62 of 79
(6,041 Views)

Thats a nice example of how the discussion around topics provides more information than the original post... I had no idea that the 'Darren's Nuggets' page existed until this discussion around where to place nuggets.

So, for what its worth, I'm a strong advocate of a forum based approach. Reading the discussion helps understanding as well as prompting more thought processes. Subsequent migration to other areas also makes sense.

On a different note, I'd also ask that where possible any posted VIs are back saved to the oldest version possible for those of us still stuck in "the eights" (or before).

Cheers

Ian

Message 63 of 79
(6,004 Views)

So the dual modality approach has some merit.

I'll get around to moving and editing mine to add to the collection but not soon for personal scheduling reasons as well as trying to keep the foucs on the current Nugget.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 64 of 79
(5,970 Views)

@Jeff Bohrer wrote:

OK, I just caught up with the rest of this threads purposes.  Like scheduling and nugget collision avoidance.

So for those interested I'll flesh out the schedule and rough outline of:

Community Nugget Series: Application Development-

Installment 1: Code by intention and basic code components 

Out: Evening of 07 Apr 2011-

Concepts:

• Intro to Test Automation Project
  • Be aware of end use of project
  • Documentation FIRST
  • Business Model analogy for Software functions.

Gift: Documentation template.

Installment 2: GUI FP object encapsulation

Projected: 14 Apr 2011 +/- some

Concepts:

• Abstraction, encapsulation, cohesion
  • VI server references
  • AE Review
  • A "Special" class Action Engine
  • Re-use code

Gift: Headache preventer vi (Preview attached: comments appreciated)

Installment 3: Executive what do we do in this business

Projected: 21 Apr 2011 +/- some

Concepts:

• Configuration files - Tasking your admin dept
  • Scope of re-usability
  • Unlocking the power of a type def

Gift: TBD

Installment 4: Operations - the dirty work cleanly

Projected: 28 Apr 2011 +/- some

Concepts:

• Modularity of code
  • Error handling
  • State discovery (how to debug and keep all your hair)

Installment 5: Accounting - Closing the loop.

Projected: 5 May 2011 +/- some

Concepts:

• Report generation
  • internal communication paths Who needs what?
  • System review

I'm flexible and amenable to suggestions comments and schedule changes. 

WOW!!!

I  am COMPLETELY amazed by the nugget response!

I admit I responded to Ben's request (WITH some forethought but! <face-slap> WOW!! ) I should have anticipated more robustness in the "discussions" and the timing now seamsSmiley Wink "aggressive"

@ Darrin- a "weekly nugget" <bow> 

For all others- I WILL continue this "nugget series!"   I feel it is an important part of the community!  I merely mean to amend the schedule (not the syllabus) to accommodate the progress of the series of discussions. 

Installment timing  Proposed: 10-14 days between installments vice weekly installments.

Honestly, the subject of "how to...." has shown up a lot on these Forums.   I feel that I get my share of "solutions."    The "How" is basic to the IDE.  The BOOST to "WHY too...." from  "How too..."  is .... Harder to bring than too implement with the time lag inherent in online discussions.  Smiley Surprised 

I, naively, had expected some points in the discussion to be blatantly stated (or challenged) on the first day. (But, then again, subtlety has never been a "core competency" of myself.)

In effect, I propose to slow down the pace originally set forth.  I feel that the discussion, so far, has been revealing and contributive. 

Posting of public or private comments is welcomed.

Message 65 of 79
(5,945 Views)

My 2 cents.

I think the appetie for Ubber-Nugget is about 1/week at max. so don't think you are letting us down by slowing down.

Thank you for carrying this topic.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 66 of 79
(5,928 Views)

@Jeff Bohrer wrote:

Darrin K. (AKA the "white power ranger")

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy FYISmiley Wink

Message 67 of 79
(5,905 Views)

@JackDunaway wrote:

@Jeff Bohrer wrote:

Darrin K. (AKA the "white power ranger")

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy FYISmiley Wink

I owe him a cheap shot or two!

Message 68 of 79
(5,882 Views)

Hey, at least it's not the pink power ranger 😉

... or Black Stig, who died in an impressive, but still fatal, way.

(5,866 Views)

Or indeed the green Stig, aka  "Janet Stig Porter"!   Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Message 70 of 79
(5,865 Views)