BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping the Nuggets cooking, or hearding cats 101....

************Double post Deleted**********
Message Edited by muks on 10-15-2009 11:12 AM
0 Kudos
Message 51 of 79
(6,099 Views)

Hi all,

After reviewing quite a few questions lately related to how to get at the FP from sub-VIs and also ggeting tired of pointing at a hack post of mine where I talked about the GUI controller I use, I sense that the community could use another Uber-Nugget to discuss the GUI Controller design pattern.

I am pressed for time these days so I can't write it myself (soon) so I am posting this idea for anyone who thinks they can handle writing this Nugget.

A well writtein Uber-Nugget often shakes out many alternative approaches which is all good for the community.

I will act as support if you take on this Nugget challenge.

If anyone would like to take on this challenge post back in this thread so we don't have more than one person trying to do the same Nugget.

Repeating!

You will not be alone if you take on this effort. I will back you up with code reviews samples comments  etc.

Thank you for reading,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 52 of 79
(5,760 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Hi all,

After reviewing quite a few questions lately related to how to get at the FP from sub-VIs and also ggeting tired of pointing at a hack post of mine where I talked about the GUI controller I use, I sense that the community could use another Uber-Nugget to discuss the GUI Controller design pattern.

I am pressed for time these days so I can't write it myself (soon) so I am posting this idea for anyone who thinks they can handle writing this Nugget.

A well writtein Uber-Nugget often shakes out many alternative approaches which is all good for the community.

If anyone would like to take on this challenge post back in this thread so we don't have more than one person trying to do the same Nugget.

Repeating!

You will not be alone if you take on this effort. I will back you up with code reviews samples comments  etc.

Thank you for reading,

Ben

Perhaps it's time I posted a nugget.  I'm actually bringing up a new test system re-addressing some of the concepts i've learned over the years. Time to give back a bit- though my approach is a bit more modularized than the previous BENex that is a year old.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 53 of 79
(5,736 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Hi all,

Repeating!

Thank you for reading,

Ben

Perhaps it's time I posted a nugget.  I'm actually bringing up a new test system re-addressing some of the concepts i've learned over the years. Time to give back a bit- though my approach is a bit more modularized than the previous BENex that is a year old.

After some additional thought, The concept seems simple yet not so directly approachable!  How is easy, Why is a convoluted.  As this is the case I'm volunteering to author a nugget series.  This concept WILL be discussed in the series but I want to lay some ground work out first to make the series apporachable by the community at large.

Installment 1 of N is here and we'll lay out the base of the GUI (and address encapsulation of GUI FP Objects) in installmant 2

Message 54 of 79
(5,718 Views)

OK, I just caught up with the rest of this threads purposes.  Like scheduling and nugget collision avoidance.

So for those interested I'll flesh out the schedule and rough outline of:

Community Nugget Series: Application Development-

Installment 1: Code by intention and basic code components 

Out: Evening of 07 Apr 2011-

Concepts:

• Intro to Test Automation Project
  • Be aware of end use of project
  • Documentation FIRST
  • Business Model analogy for Software functions.

Gift: Documentation template.

Installment 2: GUI FP object encapsulation

Projected: 14 Apr 2011 +/- some

Concepts:

• Abstraction, encapsulation, cohesion
  • VI server referances
  • AE Review
  • A "Special" class Action Engine
  • Re-use code

Gift: Headache preventer vi (Preview attached: comments appreciated)

Installment 3: Executive what do we do in this business

Projected: 21 Apr 2011 +/- some

Concepts:

• Configuration files - Tasking your admin dept
  • Scope of re-useability
  • Unlocking the power of a type def

Gift: TBD

Installment 4: Operations - the dirty work cleanly

Projected: 28 Apr 2011 +/- some

Concepts:

• Modularity of code
  • Error handleing
  • State discovery (how to debug and keep all your hair)

Installment 5: Accounting - Closing the loop.

Projected: 5 May 2011 +/- some

Concepts:

• Report generation
  • internal communication paths Who needs what?
  • System review

I'm flexable and amenable to suggestions comments and schedule changes. 

Message 55 of 79
(5,684 Views)

Stupid Sub vi

Available Here

0 Kudos
Message 56 of 79
(5,682 Views)

I really like that outline and your focus on the top rather the run of the  mills stuff we deal with day to day on the forums.

Using links to existing Nugget will save you some writing and tie things together nicely.

I have a heavy gradening schedule fo rthis wek-end but I will try to post up something that can contribute.

Again thank you!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 57 of 79
(5,681 Views)

I wonder if it would be better to start writing nuggets as a community document?

The forums is not so well suited for that kind of permanent material.

Maybe we could start a nugget group?

Message 58 of 79
(5,680 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I wonder if it would be better to start writing nuggets as a community document?

I have had similar thoughts so i'll share.

One of the keys that make the good Nugget good is communty involvement. So I don't think we can without the forum and still have good results.

But...

Editing and updating can be done on the Community.

So I think a hybrid approach would be possible but would be more work fo rthe Nuggeteer.

1) Write Nugget

2) Post to Community

3) Duplicate Community post to LV forum and link to Community.

4) Updat Community to point at LV forum.

5) We hob-knob as we normally do.

6) Author can optionally revise the Community version based on feed-back or latter to account for LV upgrades.

other optins are possible of course, but the key factor in Good Nuggets is the feed back we get from others and there is no placce better for getting the word out than the LV forum since a long threads seeems to pick-up readers as we go.

Just my 2 cents,

Ben

Message 59 of 79
(5,678 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Spoiler
I'm on the Forum LabVIEW FAQ Board beta.

I wouldn't mind something like that-  Maybe something like a LabVIEW FAQ board?

0 Kudos
Message 60 of 79
(5,667 Views)