BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KA - Kudoerholic Anonymous

Ben wrote:

I do appologize to all of those that would have earned some. If I make it through the month I'll regroup.

Ben

PS in 27 minutes I will have gone a full buisness day clean.

PRAY FOR A RELAPSE EVERYONE!!!

Message 21 of 40
(7,739 Views)

Wow 3233 Kudos! and 11,444  posts = 3.54 Posts for each Kudo given.  I'm at 2.98.

I have a problem.

(Step 1) My name is Jeff and I've been binge kudoing.  Sometimes I even kudo at lunchtime.........

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 22 of 40
(7,736 Views)

There is nothing wrong with kudoing.

If everybody would kudos all posts that they think is in the upper 50% percentile, we would have a statistically significant distribution of kudos. The average post would have e.g. 1000 kudos, a crappy posts much less, and an excellent post much more. As I said already, the few kudos per post we have now is often not statistically relevant. 😄

Go Kudos! 

Message 23 of 40
(7,731 Views)

altenbach wrote:

There is nothing wrong with kudoing.

If everybody would kudos all posts that they think is in the upper 50% percentile, we would have a statistically significant distribution of kudos. The average post would have e.g. 1000 kudos, a crappy posts much less, and an excellent post much more. As I said already, the few kudos per post we have now is often not statistically relevant. 😄

Go Kudos! 

Ah the old kegger at the AA meeting!  Nothing finerSmiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 24 of 40
(7,728 Views)

I will  argue that Ben is looking at this completely backwards, and will once again offer my statistical analysis.  The point of that exercise was primarily to practice parsing regular expressions and using the Datasocket functions.  As a side benefit I was sitting on a goldmine of data.  I was curious to know what Kudos actually meant.  Going in I was a bit idealistic/naive, I figured that finding the high kudoed posts was going to lead to the treasure trove of LV knowledge.

Once the nuggets were excluded from consideration (you were reading those already), I found the Kudos to be very well described by a Poisson distribution.  Good sign, means there is some useful information content.  Then I looked at the outliers and the classic "What is Kudos" was near the top and a few other posts.  What I found was that the outliers were typically either funny or a response to a flamethrower.  The real quality technical posts were often in the high end of the distribution, typically in the 4-8 Kudos range.  

I see a similar effect in the Idea Exchange.  What I consider to be "eye candy" gets hundreds of Kudos, many truly substantive changes typically get an order-of-magnitude fewer.

What does this mean.  Those pressuring Ben (and perhaps succeeding) try to enforce an idea of what Kudos are and should mean.  I argue that Kudos should be given or not-given as any person sees fit.  When you look at the dataset, you then ask yourself, what do Kudos mean?  It probably is not what you think personally, or would like to think they are, but "They are what they are".  It is up to each person to decide what a Kudos from them means.  It could mean "That was the best post of the day/week/year", or "Thanks" or "I just learned something" or "good joke" or "Way to find the post button".  What becomes hard is when someone significantly alters what their Kudos mean.  If I ever post something involving a Picture control and it isn't Kudoed by Ben in less than 5 minutes then I figure I screwed up bad.   What now?

Disclaimer #1:  Motivation to get the old Ben back is from a purely statistical viewpoint and no way related to the fact that I happen to be a significant benefactor of his largesse.

Disclaimer #2:  As a physicist I am trying to appeal to his reasonable side.  If he follows through on his pledge then I have no motivation to remain on his good side and will be forced to unleash an anti-Steelers screed at every possible moment to an extent that even Ravens Fan will be shamed into sympathy, change his allegiance to the Yellow and Black and switch avatars to a terrible towel.  Nobody really wants to see this, just saying...

Message 25 of 40
(7,699 Views)

Disclaimer #2:  As a physicist I am trying to appeal to his reasonable side.  If he follows through on his pledge then I have no motivation to remain on his good side and will be forced to unleash an anti-Steelers screed at every possible moment to an extent that even Ravens Fan will be shamed into sympathy, change his allegiance to the Yellow and Black and switch avatars to a terrible towel.  Nobody really wants to see this, just saying...

I hate those friggin' towels. That said, Bear Down! I am a bears fan as I was born and raised in the chicago area. As I say that though, i usually put my head down in shame and scuff the ground as I walk away. Maybe I'll switch to Ben's side, not just out of sympathy, but because 24 years since a super bowl win is just too long.

Back on topic: good post Darin. I think I'll KUDO it!

Message Edited by for(imstuck) on 04-08-2010 04:04 PM
Message 26 of 40
(7,698 Views)

Darin.K wrote: 

Once the nuggets were excluded from consideration (you were reading those already), I found the Kudos to be very well described by a Poisson distribution.  Good sign, means there is some useful information content.  Then I looked at the outliers and the classic "What is Kudos" was near the top and a few other posts.  What I found was that the outliers were typically either funny or a response to a flamethrower.  The real quality technical posts were often in the high end of the distribution, typically in the 4-8 Kudos range.  

This reinforces my request to reinstate the ability to sort on kudos. I would search on key words and then sort by the old rating. WHen kudos were added, the sort by was lost...

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=130&message.id=5446&query.id=3691756#M5446

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 27 of 40
(7,683 Views)
I have lost track of the times I have clicked on the Kudos heading of some list expecting it to sort, only to be reminded that we can only sort on much more important things like number of views (which have their own interesting quantization effects).
Message 28 of 40
(7,667 Views)

Darin.K wrote:

I felt this post of yours was worth a kudo because it gave me a good laugh.  But I guarantee you that I won't be changing allegiances.

I promise you that if you want to post an anti-steeler screed in any message, you'll get a free kudo from me.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 29 of 40
(7,667 Views)

Ben wrote:
I have to trust all of the rest of you to pass out the Kudos to each other.

I love to take responsibilities Smiley Very Happy

Message 30 of 40
(7,659 Views)