From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Join.me ... better than GotoMeeting

This may sound like spam, but its not.

How many of you use tools like GoToMeeting or Webex or "Windows Remote Assistance" for desktop sharing?  Probably a lot of you.  Many of of us LV developers end up having to support remote systems.  I use desktop sharing to provide tech support and to do demos.  GoToMeeting has always been my tool of choice.  But now there is something better (in some situations):   www.Join.me

Its awesome.  They have made it idiot-proof.  And totally free. 

It is a great alternative when the person you are connecting with has very little technical skills.

Btw:  I have no affiliation with LogMeIn (the people who created join.me) ... I just think its a great product and wanted to share the news.  So go check it out. 

http://www.medicollector.com
Message 1 of 7
(14,715 Views)

join.me is acceptable for personal use. if you need a more solid solution, you may try GoMeetNow.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(14,421 Views)

Been using LogMeIn Free for a while now.  Great service IMO.  Our IT dept. uses several paid LogMeIn services and turned me onto the free one. 

Funny thing... I deploy LMI on all the machines that leave the office (Got two contract manufacturers overseas).  One of those laptops got stolen a few months ago.

If you're going to steal a laptop, don't do it with one that's got remote access on it.

And definitely don't steal a laptop I have remote access to. Smiley Very Happy

And when you're using that stolen laptop that I have remote access to, it's probably not a good idea to leave your facebook page logged in.  Hope you're enjoying those wall posts I left for you.

I don't think they stole the power supply for the computer (dumbas*ses Smiley Tongue), saw that it was running on battery and when it hit zero it hasn't been back online since.  Rescued all the test data and wiped all the company data off of it, so really it's just the hardware that's of any value to the company now. 

Got the IP, ISP, and the name on the logged in facebook page after the machine was stolen.  Turned all that info over to Mexican authorities, but still haven't recovered the laptop.  The fun I and our IT dept. had with the guy was worth the price of the hardware though Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 7
(14,384 Views)

Now that is a funny story.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(14,379 Views)

SnowMule,

Funny story, but I asked myself how the guy was able to access a professional laptop without wiping the system. (loosing LMI). 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(14,307 Views)

We use a common login/password for the manufacturing floor.  That login/password is printed on a sticker on the computer.

I just add/removed programs, then nuked the files and configurations for the company software.  Deleted all the logins except for Administrator and changed that password... since I was working on limited time (battery on the laptop) I started with the most important stuff first then worked my way down till the battery died.

The computer's still got windows, logmein, internet explorer, etc... but none of the company apps or things like VPN configuration/email are on there, and the test data that goes along with those apps are gone.  They could still wipe the HD and reinstall windows to get the machine running again, but if they're not smart enough to steal the power supply along with the computer....

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(14,286 Views)

Yeah, josborne, LogMeIn does pretty good work (and GTM isn't too shabby, either). I've been using RHUB's appliance, and I prefer it b/c it's still easy to use, but it's also more secure.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(12,628 Views)