From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's COLD Outside

For a change, I'm not in the UK. I'm actually in Connecticut this week! And low and behold - it's snowing.

Which is actually great because we've had zilch snow in the UK so far, and I love snow! Smiley Very Happy

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 51 of 81
(8,963 Views)

@Thoric wrote:

For a change, I'm not in the UK. I'm actually in Connecticut this week! And low and behold - it's snowing.

Which is actually great because we've had zilch snow in the UK so far, and I love snow! Smiley Very Happy

We just got an ice storm here in Cincinnati.  I don't mind the snow, but ice on the roads is nothing but trouble.  I'm working from home today.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 52 of 81
(8,936 Views)

Thirty miles (50 km) north of Tim. We got 4 inches (10 cm) of snow with and eighth of an inch (3 mm) of ice on top. Snow plow piled big chunks of packed wet snow and ice across the driveway. I work from home everyday.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 53 of 81
(8,911 Views)

I just tracked an ups package and it shows as stuck in Columbus Ohio with no known delivery time estimate possible.  😮

0 Kudos
Message 54 of 81
(8,905 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

Thirty miles (50 km) north of Tim. We got 4 inches (10 cm) of snow with and eighth of an inch (3 mm) of ice on top.

Just guestimating here, but I would say I got 2 inches of slow and then 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice.  Looks like the roads are fine now.  It warmed up just enough to melt everything away on the roads, but snow is still coming down.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 55 of 81
(8,901 Views)

Christian,

The Interstates were open this morning but running at about half of normal speed. If it is travelling by air, well, the airlines have not been using any rational algorithm to specify delayed or cancelled flights.  If there is snow within 500 miles of the origination or destination airports, including connecting flights, the departure and arrival times are assigned by a random number generator with finite probability of infinity as an output.

Hope the package does not contain anything you cannot do without for a few days.

Lynn

Message 56 of 81
(8,893 Views)

johnsold wrote:

Hope the package does not contain anything you cannot do without for a few days.

Like a winter coat?  Looking at the LA weather, it is supposed to get down to 47 tonight.  Christian must be freezing to death with it only getting up to 64 degrees.Smiley Wink

GCentral
Message 57 of 81
(8,883 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

johnsold wrote:

Like a winter coat?  Looking at the LA weather, it is supposed to get down to 47 tonight.  Christian must be freezing to death with it only getting up to 64 degrees.Smiley Wink

Especially in his Speedo! Smiley Surprised

Saw this link a bit ago. A bit surprised that the Portland Metro area is not in the "Any Snow" category. Still much drier this winter than typical, with blustery gorge winds having set in once again. 

Not sure why all of Canada shows up as >24 inches. It's either an extrapolation or round-off error from centimeters!

Jeff

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 58 of 81
(8,856 Views)

Jeffrey_Zola wrote:

Saw this link a bit ago. A bit surprised that the Portland Metro area is not in the "Any Snow" category. Still much drier this winter than typical, with blustery gorge winds having set in once again. 

Not sure why all of Canada shows up as >24 inches. It's either an extrapolation or round-off error from centimeters!

Jeff

I have trouble believing that.  I remember looking at 6" of snow and still having to go to school.  Now it seems like kids get out for anything more than a dusting.

I can honestly say I walked 1.5 miles to school in a foot of snow up hill both ways (there was a small valley I had to walk through).  But, unlike our grandparents, I at least had shoes.

As for the ice storm that went through yesterday here, I pulled off a piece of ice off of my car.  It is every bit of an inch.  Half of that was frozen snow (snow that slightly melted and then refroze) and then it was solid ice on top.  My car is still covered in a sheet of ice.  And so is a part of my driveway.  Unfortunately, that part of my driveway that is covered with ice is where my car is parked.  Again, I'm not going anywhere today.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 59 of 81
(8,840 Views)

Jeffrey_Zola wrote:

They are not very good with their forecast..  They promissed 15 - 30 cm of snow (6" - 12").  Instead.... we got a huge amount....  2mm...  Roughly 1/8".

At least we have enough to ski or snow-shoe.  No complaints.  They sent the snow to the New-England States...  LOL!

It also depends on where in Canada..  In the mountains, yeah... 24" would be right.
I have not seen a 24" snowfall in ages...  Since the mid- 1980's..   If we did get that much snowfall, I'd have one of those sleds like SnowMule.  😉

Message 60 of 81
(8,828 Views)