BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's COLD Outside

@Ray.R wrote:

Jeffrey_Zola wrote:

Not sure why all of Canada shows up as >24 inches. It's either an extrapolation or round-off error from centimeters!

They are not very good with their forecast..  They promissed 15 - 30 cm of snow (6" - 12").  Instead.... we got a huge amount....  2mm...  Roughly 1/8".

At least we have enough to ski or snow-shoe.  No complaints.  They sent the snow to the New-England States...  LOL!

It also depends on where in Canada..  In the mountains, yeah... 24" would be right.
I have not seen a 24" snowfall in ages...  Since the mid- 1980's..   If we did get that much snowfall, I'd have one of those sleds like SnowMule.  😉

Back to full disclosure: Although now a resident of the beautiful Pacific Northwest, it was not always that way.

Born & raised 15-20 miles due west of Fenway Park in suburban Boston. I remember the Blizzard of '78, when I (as an almost-nine-year-old) experienced snowfall that would reach chest-high on my now adult body. It seemed that we always got at least 50% more snowfall than they forecasted, but still rarely had schools closed. I, too, walked to school for all 12 years as we lived just inside the elementary and high-school bussing distance. HATED having to schlep a heavy backpack of book/homework and my tenor saxophone through blizzardgeddon, but that's what everyone did.

Five years of college/grad school in Ithaca, NY. Far above Cayuga's waters- it was COLD!!!!! Everyplace on campus there is also uphill both ways. Sometimes multiple ups-and-downs on icy sidewalks!

Made my way here to Portland by way of lovely Poughkeepsie, NY and Austin, TX. Don't miss the extremes of winter that you see in the NY/NE area, nor the extremes of summer in TX. I like the four seasons here, even though one or two of them seem to only last about six (sometimes seven) hours!

So today I sit in my home office facing a window to my back yard. The winds the past two days sould like they want to pop the windows out of the house. Why do cold Columbia Gorge winds always set into the Portland area on garbage day in my neightborhood?!? There are snowflakes of varying sizes flying in all directions. Not sure if it's fresh stuff falling or just the same ones being carried about by the winds. But according to the radar may, there are bands of it falling to the north and south of Portland metro. Spoke to my wife a few minutes ago. She's on her way back from Central Oregon- driving through blowing snow as she nears the mountain pass.

On the other hand, when Framingham Public Schools closed shop back in the 70's and 80's, they never did it like this!

Jeffrey Zola
Message 61 of 81
(9,295 Views)

Hey Jeffrey,

Do you realize that Putnum lives near Ithaca?  I tease him because they get more snow than we do.  Temperatures are about the same..  The past few years have been strange... We used to get the snow, but now it misses us completely.  it now hits Toronto (which rarely got snow) or Montreal, turning those cities in complete chaos!!  LOL!  Plus people in Toronto have no idea that there is such a thing as winter tires, so they pile up 100s of cars on the 401.  LOL!! 

Spoiler
Hope no one from Toronto (like Ben Z) is reading this!!

Message 62 of 81
(9,293 Views)

Yeah, we got between 6"- 12" yesterday, more to the south. Cornell campus was "closed" until 9:30AM. Our in house Cornell grad's comment was "you mean you still had to make your 9:40 class!? There was a lot of gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes in anticaption of the big storm (Winter Storm Nikita?) but they put an additional 50 plows on the the road and ordered another 1100 tons of salt to go with the 4400 ton pile they had. As I told someone on Facebook yesterday, we have a name for the storm here too, Wednesday.

What was funny was the schools in the snow belt just to my north having delays rather than closures and school districts we rarely hear from south us closing for the day. This was an actual storm center vs our predominent snow maker, "Lake Effect" off of L. Ontario.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 63 of 81
(9,277 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@Thoric wrote:

For a change, I'm not in the UK. I'm actually in Connecticut this week! And low and behold - it's snowing.

Which is actually great because we've had zilch snow in the UK so far, and I love snow! Smiley Very Happy

We just got an ice storm here in Cincinnati.  I don't mind the snow, but ice on the roads is nothing but trouble.  I'm working from home today.

There was rain overnight, then it froze, so we had very icy surfaces here. Lots of fun in the rented Yaris I'm driving! Wheee! Smiley Surprised

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 64 of 81
(9,262 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:

Yeah, we got between 6"- 12" yesterday, more to the south. Cornell campus was "closed" until 9:30AM. Our in house Cornell grad's comment was "you mean you still had to make your 9:40 class!? There was a lot of gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes in anticaption of the big storm (Winter Storm Nikita?) but they put an additional 50 plows on the the road and ordered another 1100 tons of salt to go with the 4400 ton pile they had. As I told someone on Facebook yesterday, we have a name for the storm here too, Wednesday.

What was funny was the schools in the snow belt just to my north having delays rather than closures and school districts we rarely hear from south us closing for the day. This was an actual storm center vs our predominent snow maker, "Lake Effect" off of L. Ontario.

Is there a camel that walks around asking people what the storm's name is?!?

(Is that a national or regional commercial? Does anyone else get the reference, or am I just being my normal, cryptic self?

Schools here decided to close early when it started coming down. My son sat at in the bus in his High School parking lot for about an hour as they waited for the buses to arrive there from various option schools so those kids could get onto the neighborhood buses. He asked the bus driver how much longer it would be. The reply- "About another hour!", which would have taken them to normal dismissal time. So I got in my car to venture out to get him. They let out all the schools early. Don't know why, as the panic it created among parents worsened the traffic. Heard reports that the middle school buses were running later than they do on a "normal" day. What a mess! Glad my 6th grader was home sick today!

Jeff

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 65 of 81
(9,254 Views)

No idea about camels and storms...

What's that??!!!??  You give names to snow-storms??   ROFL!!!  You guys (south of the border) sure like storms..  Must be all the drama..  LOL!!

LOL! (some more)

Spoiler
LOL!  😄 😄 😄 😄
Spoiler

I don't think the schools would ever close here....  Even if it was armageddon..  or something worse... 

Message 66 of 81
(9,230 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

What's that??!!!??  You give names to snow-storms??   ROFL!!!  You guys (south of the border) sure like storms..  Must be all the drama..  LOL!!

I like to give snowstorms names to. name like #@$%@@# and !#$@$@$%. 
Mostly if thy are not showing op when I am at home and have time to enjoy them and then show op when I have to go somware.

Learning LabVIEW since January 2013
Message 67 of 81
(9,227 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

Guess what DA-AAAAAAAAY IT IS!!!!!!!!

I think that the Weather Channel started naming storms last year or so. Read something that they say that winter storm have as much impact as named tropical systems, so they spread the fun!

Portland is, for the most part, shut down because of snow. Maybe three inches of light powder, but there are so few plows around because we so seldom get even this much. So what most people would laugh at has paralyzed a major city. Expecting more snow later today, and then the freezing rain starts tomorrow. That's the really fun stuff!

Jeff

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 68 of 81
(9,204 Views)

It is only laughable if the region gets the really bad weather regularly, and isn't ready for it. I understand Atlanta being all snarled up last week, who is going to fork out hundreds of dollars for good snows, what municipality is going to fork out millions of dollars for plows, etc., when you get these events occasionally. We "average" about 110" or ~2.8m of snow a winter. Two years ago we had a drought, got about 80", the year before that, 180". We, therefore, have lots of plows, snow, etc.

Yes Ray, they started naming the major winter storms down here a couple of years ago. The Weather channel as well as the other news "outlets" depend on ad revenue, so the more eyeballs they can get to watch "Stormaggedon", "Snowaggedon", whateveraggedon, the more money they make. Lots of hype. Unfortunately, it can have a "cried wolf" effect, where people remembering the last "non-event" or one that didn't live up to their expectations, doesn't believe it when the sky really is falling.

You guys get our TV on cable up there, although I know you watch fairly little TV. I watched Billy Fucillo's car ads while I was up there (in the hotel, didn't have broadcast TV at my later residence, didn't miss it either!)

Hoping for clear weather at night, major sunspot activity bodes well for auroras!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 69 of 81
(9,187 Views)

Who is Billy Fucillo?  Never saw those car ads...  Then again, I either mute or blank out the tv when ads come on, which is most of the time.  Prefer watching series over DVD/BluRay.  😉

Finishing up ST-Voyager this week.  Will start Mad-Men next week.  If it's as good as people say it is, I will get the rest of the series..  Costco usually carries them.  😄  Euh...  no commercials!  Ya gatta love it..

Rhetorical Question: Why do some people like (love?) commercials?  They are full of lies.  The only recent commercial that I watch is the one for Nissan Rogue where it is fighting off a bunch of mad snowmen.  Excellent!  Well done.  No BS about being able to do 100 mpg or accelerate from 0 to 200mph in 2 secs.  I totally HATE truck commercials. 

Spoiler
no comments.... 

Really happy NI does not have any tv commercials..  😄

0 Kudos
Message 70 of 81
(9,152 Views)