From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's COLD Outside

The weather in Portland seems to be about identical to my weather in the South West of the UK right now. It seems to have been raining heavily for the best part of two weeks here! Makes a change from a year ago, when we had a dump of snow the day before my wedding, meaning it was touch-and-go as to whether it went ahead.

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 81
(11,566 Views)

I guess you could say the weather across the ocean is a bit better.

Though I would prefer hotter temperatures Smiley Happy

weather.PNG

---

UnCertified LabVIEW Student
Mistakes are for learning, that's why suggestions are always welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 81
(11,552 Views)

That cannot be +51oC in the Netherlands??!!??  51oF maybe..  Which is still very nice..

Can't complain about the weather!  It was +4oC  (that's probably +80oF in winter degrees) yesterday..  Darn rain was melting the snow..  Don't you hate that when it happens.  It's nice & warm at some places in Canada..  Well...  the temperature did drop because we're getting a cold stream of air from the USA!!  😮

LOL!

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 81
(11,527 Views)

That cannot be +51oC in the Netherlands??!!??  51oF maybe..  Which is still very nice..

I did put it on Fahrenheit if you look closely, because the others did too.

Otherwise we would be melting!! Smiley Very Happy

---

UnCertified LabVIEW Student
Mistakes are for learning, that's why suggestions are always welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 81
(11,522 Views)

Ray.R wrote:Well...  the temperature did drop because we're getting a cold stream of air from the USA!!  😮

How weird is that?  Our (Cincinnati) bad winter weather normally comes straight down from Canada.  Though, some guys on the radio were talking yesterday how it was +7 F at the North Pole, while they were measuring -2 F at the studio.  So Santa had warmer weather than us.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 15 of 81
(11,519 Views)

@KoenR94 wrote:

I did put it on Fahrenheit if you look closely, because the others did too.

Otherwise we would be melting!! Smiley Very Happy

Nah, I live in a place which occasionally gets >50 C (I would say we had it for probably 2 or 3 of the last 4 years) and while it's hot, it's not THAT hot. I certainly find it more comfortable than the cold, so I'm with Mercer on this.

P.S. A couple of years ago, when the Americans were all excited about Snowmaggedon (remember that, people?), I told people on LAVA about going by the actual Armageddon and not seeing any snow. Let's say people were not as amused as you might think...

We actually had a really dry Fall this year, with temperatures colder than usual. Lots of "frozen fog", but fortunately not much frozen rain. Today looks to be the first day we see the "normal" wet winter weather we are used to in the pacific northwest. 

But tst- when your temps reach 50°C, is it a "dry heat"?

(Mental math.... nine fifths plus thirty two..... 122°F? That's a typical summer evening in phoenix!)

Jeffrey Zola
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 81
(11,504 Views)

More likely Christian will jump into the ocean, I don't recall any lakes convenient to Venice, CA.

Yeah, it is only -1 here (Central/Northern, New York, at the moment, thought the windchill is around -20. Possible 5 feet of snow north of here in the next 24hours, they are downwind of L.Ontario with this wind direction. I did have to jump start my car this morning, I guess I should have listened when I got my snows on when they said the battery was getting weak. Then again, I do carry multiple jumper battery packs.

Not much snow here yet, melted most of what we had ( about 1 1/2 feet at my house) on Sunday evening when it suddenly got into the mid-40's and rained.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 81
(11,501 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Ray.R wrote:Well...  the temperature did drop because we're getting a cold stream of air from the USA!!  😮

How weird is that?  Our (Cincinnati) bad winter weather normally comes straight down from Canada.  Though, some guys on the radio were talking yesterday how it was +7 F at the North Pole, while they were measuring -2 F at the studio.  So Santa had warmer weather than us.

Not that weird.... 

Picture a huge "U-shaped" jet stream..  The bottom of the "U" is in the mid-southern USA..  We're on the right arm of the "U" where we get warmer air from the south..  We're at the right spot..  We do not get the icy cold from Manitoba / North-Dakota and miss the snow from the lakes.  Although we've had plenty of snow from a warm front originating from Texas..

We're similar to Putnam's weather, but get less snow... I think..   It's cold today (+7F / -16C) but will be warming up to +39F/+4C by Saturday.  So that explains the myth that we all live in igloos and drive dog sleds...  as recently portrayed in France..    Although those 300 German Sheppards pull that sled pretty good..  😄

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 81
(11,485 Views)

It gets to 122F in Phoenix very rarely (I think that is the record high), more typical is 112-115. It is a 'dry' heat up until July-Sept when the Monsoonal flow from the South brings up moisture.

Polar vortex is what they are calling this extreme cold, that is the first time I have heard the term. It may be used more often at higher latitudes.

-A2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 81
(11,473 Views)