BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a LabVIEW driver for that thing?

It was 50 years ago (Oct 29, 1969), when this device here at UCLA sent the very first message overt the ARPANET, which later became the internet. (see for example)

What will we have 50 years from now?

IMP.png

Message 1 of 4
(4,450 Views)

What good would Arpanet be if it wasn't talking to another machine. I did get a glimpse of the machine located at CMU here in Pittsburgh when I was servicing another mainframe.

I was still wiring toy train transformers to frogs legs in an attempt to recreate an experiment by Volta back then. It would have been two years latter when I built my first "computer".

Spoiler

"Computer" - was what my teacher declared my attempt to turn a world cultures project into a science project. All of the components were salvaged or purchased from Tandy. Whoda thought that I would end doing computers for a living back then!

Re: "What will we have 50 years from now?"

We will be long gone from this earth by then ...

Spoiler

unless alcohol acts as a preservative. Smiley Wink

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 4
(4,361 Views)

Cal Fussman interviewed Leonard Kleinrock on his podcast last week - https://www.calfussman.com/podcasts/2020/1/13/leonard-kleinrock-when-the-internet-was-born  I found it very interesting.

"He played an influential role in the development of the ARPANET" ~ Wikipedia

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 3 of 4
(4,140 Views)

Alcohol does act as a preservative. 

There are many other mood stabilizers .  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 4
(4,080 Views)