BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invert three signals with only two NOT gates

@Ben wrote:

Forgive me if I am wrong but the answer using just two "NOT" and a mix of ANDs and ORs has not been answered?

No, it was not answered yet here. And the solution does exists.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(7,468 Views)

@Andrey_Dmitriev wrote:

[...]  You can easily found an answer in the Internet, [...]

It was only easy because of the way you titled this thread.  I think the solution was generated by an "infinite monkeys" VI generator, as no human could have come up with the solution. Smiley Tongue

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(7,431 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

I think the solution was generated by an "infinite monkeys" VI generator, as no human could have come up with the solution. Smiley Tongue

Yeah, the fun of this question that it sounds simple initially, but quite complicated to implement. I will put solution under spoiler.

Spoiler
HelloHabr2.gif

I will ask this question on every interview, where I involved time to time. The person who will solve it within half an hour will be hired immediately.  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(7,423 Views)

I found two solutions; I didn't figure them out myself.  Putting them in a Spoiler tag wouldn't matter, but I'll go along.  I'm convinced that deriving the logic is inconceivable and you'll never hire anyone immediately!  Did you really figure it out yourself?  Color me impressed!

Spoiler
crazy boolean (from forum)_BD.png

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(7,419 Views)

I don't understand you "hardware guys".

Just put the NOT into a non-reentrant subVI and place it as many times as you want. Only one instance! 😄 😮

Message 15 of 17
(7,406 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I don't understand you "hardware guys".

Just put the NOT into a non-reentrant subVI and place it as many times as you want. Only one instance! 😄 😮

The hardware solution will be faster than the software approach and like NXG "no programming required".

I have not looked at the spoilers (yet) but I did ponder the challenge a bit in the hotel room the night before last. The truth table show that if we look at the input as a number "X" the output is "X-7". So a subtraction of "7" OR adding the (was it 2's?) 2s-compliment of seven would give results. It would require 5 half-adders that did not use an "inverter".

Did not go any farther than that before it was time to go to bed.

Ben  

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(7,373 Views)

Back in High School the Math dept. head taught the calculus class.  It included a quarter of Logic.  He could not find a text he liked so...(logically) wrote his own.  Anyone who has passed that course would remember "Tautology 4".  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(7,192 Views)