BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventors Hall of Fame Inductees: Dr. James Truchard and Jeff Kodosky

Congrats Dr. T and Jeff!

And thanks for your passion for creating LabVIEW!

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1334192

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 1 of 7
(7,661 Views)

Congratulations! There are some funny lines in there:
"LabVIEW has a following that might be described as religious. ... Sometimes, all it takes is a feature that eliminates a single click to draw a standing ovation."

And thank you to EE Times for putting an ugly block diagram in there to showcase LabVIEW's potential!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,657 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

And thank you to EE Times for putting an ugly block diagram in there to showcase LabVIEW's potential!

Yeah and the whole linking to info-labview isn't really helpful either.  Don't get me wrong the information on the site is useful and there is history there, but linking to a site that boasts "New! Partial bug list for LabVIEW 7.0.0" on the main page isn't really representative of what the LabVIEW community is today given 7.0 was released 16 years ago.  If Bill Gates was awarded something similar for Windows today, I'd hope they wouldn't link to a website talking about how great Windows Server 2003 is.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,644 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@Gregory wrote:

Yeah and the whole linking to info-labview isn't really helpful either.  Don't get me wrong the information on the site is useful and there is history there, but linking to a site that boasts "New! Partial bug list for LabVIEW 7.0.0" on the main page isn't really representative of what the LabVIEW community is today given 7.0 was released 16 years ago.  If Bill Gates was awarded something similar for Windows today, I'd hope they wouldn't link to a website talking about how great Windows Server 2003 is.

This is the first time I've ever heard of info-labview. Maybe they just recycled some things they had done for previous articles.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,627 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

Maybe they just recycled some things they had done for previous articles.

They have, but not for the quotes part. Info LV was and still is active as a mailing list, although calling it "active" these days is being extremely generous. It started back in the 90's when there weren't really other options and these days is mainly made up of an automated monthly reminder it exists and an occasional back and forth of "Macs are a thing. Don't forget about us Mac users" messages. Sometimes there is even a technical question. It appears to be made up mostly of people who didn't want to switch to other communities. Let's just say that in a thread from a few days ago about when people started coding you could see quite a few people born in the 50's and I believe the earliest was someone born in the early 40's, so you wouldn't be surprised to hear that you don't get homework hustlers there.

Anyway, the guy who wrote the article did actually request quotes from people.

(7,601 Views)

@tst wrote:

.... Let's just say that in a thread from a few days ago about when people started coding you could see quite a few people born in the 50's and I believe the earliest was someone born in the early 40's...

I enjoyed reading that thread and the discussions of the old days.

I have been subscribed to Info-LabVIEW for going on 20 years now.

It was complimented by LabVIEW Technical Resource (LTR) which was a publication where we could actually see images of the code!

Contrast the challenges of being to get answers to LV question via a text only medium with the LV forum today where it is a rare thread that does not have someone asking people to post the code..

What a long strange trip its been.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 7
(7,593 Views)

"LabVIEW has a following that might be described as religious ..."

Ya' think? Smiley Happy

Congrats Dr. James Truchard and Jeff Kodosky. 

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,551 Views)