BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent problem? No problem!

Just wait until it becomes permanent.  Smiley Surprised

My operators were complaining that an ATE was occasionally turning off, immediately and with no warning.  It never happened in my presence and I couldn't figure out why.  My only thought was that the PXI controller was overheating, but I couldn'd find any evidence of that.

It happened very frequently this weekend and I came in this morning to a dead ATE.  A few minutes of troubleshooting led me to suspect the switch on the power conditioner.  This is what I found:

IMG_2180.JPG

The stationary and moveable contacts were complete burned away.  I replaced the switch and the problem went away.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 1 of 5
(6,800 Views)

Defective or under rated switch or is there a high inrush current when the switch is turned on?

I had a complaint that one of my laser automation stations would not power up sometimes. There are 5 high power brushless DC servo amps (= very high inrush current when powered on) in the system that were fed by a dedicated line in the system.

Someone decided to plug the line into the rack's surge strip instead. Flip the switch on and you get a loud popping sound in addition to a flash of light.

-Ak2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,790 Views)

@AnalogKid2DigitalMan wrote:

Defective or under rated switch or is there a high inrush current when the switch is turned on?

I don't think there's a high inrush.  Maybe the blower?  The ATE has been in production for five years, so it doesn't feel very underrated.  I'll go with defective.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,787 Views)

Sometimes the spring or screw contacts get weak over time, and if you try to draw significant current, things start arching. Almost looks like the rivet separated.

I would have thought that an olfactometric analysis should have given an early warning. 🙂 Maybe that switch box was well sealed, though.

Message 4 of 5
(6,767 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

[...] Almost looks like the rivet separated.

That's what happened, but I didn't find it in the switch.  Maybe it was consumed.

Last year there was a reported "zapping" sound when the ATE shut down.  It occurred over a weekend so I wasn't there.  The operators restarted the ATE and everything was fine.  I asked the plant electricians later and nothing untoward was discovered.  Nothing smelled, except the situation.

Jim

Message 5 of 5
(6,733 Views)