From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incongruous sightings of LabVIEW/NI

Yes, Semilab, since 2018. That was the year when I left LabVIEW programming, and turned to the dark side, C#/.NET 😄

Well, actually I do not develop directly the end product, I mainly do SW dev project management nowadays. I develop with C#, but mainly internally used calibration/DAQ applications. 

We have lots of metrology developments and manufacturing for semi/display/photovoltaic industry (mainly large robotized automated inline machines), but the AFM section is a relatively new thing here. So very exciting time here, to work in this field now, lots of challenges! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 101 of 186
(2,940 Views)

LabVIEW apparently helped image at least one black hole, but probably two (both so far). 

thols_0-1652434616902.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1bSDnuIPbo&t=520s 

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 102 of 186
(2,874 Views)
Just curious, how do you know this was done in LabVIEW?
0 Kudos
Message 103 of 186
(2,815 Views)

@Gregory wrote:
Just curious, how do you know this was done in LabVIEW?

I actually don't know, but the panels to the left sure looks like it.

0 Kudos
Message 104 of 186
(2,777 Views)

The panels with the graphs to the left are very blurry and could be anything.

The ones on the right could be made in LV, but I would say it's unlikely, mainly because they have vertically centered numbers, which can be done in a number of ways, but would require some actual work.

(2,754 Views)

I could of course be wrong, but I see some typical LabVIEW features:

Up in the left corner, the graph has rounded vertical sides of the same apparent width as the default XY graph. The rounding-effect and width of it  matches LabVIEW. I don't think anyone would do that intentionally to a graph in another language. Look at the right side:

thols_0-1652700310801.png

The panel in the lower middle has scale marker layout of default LV-style, with a centered scale label and grey background (a bit hard to see in a single frame here though):

thols_1-1652700675726.png

Of course this could be any other language but this is the default style in LabVIEW, apart from the background color of the plot area. Graphs I see created in other languages seem to have the same background color for the scales as in the plot area (white).

I first thought I saw LabVIEW-grey as FB BG, but it could be another grey. 

The left grey panels were the only ones that looked like LabVIEW to me.

Message 106 of 186
(2,751 Views)

@tst wrote:

The ones on the right could be made in LV, but I would say it's unlikely, mainly because they have vertically centered numbers, which can be done in a number of ways, but would require some actual work.

Really?

Any LabVIEW programming requires actual work. No matter how much fun it is 😄

altenbach_0-1652713465272.png

0 Kudos
Message 107 of 186
(2,736 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@tst wrote:

Really?

Any LabVIEW programming requires actual work. No matter how much fun it is 😄

altenbach_0-1652713465272.png

Right, the total amount of work is greater than zero, therefore "some work".

My pedantic old grumpy self is perfectly satisfied that there's no contradiction here.

Message 108 of 186
(2,730 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

Right, the total amount of work is greater than zero, therefore "some work".

My pedantic old grumpy self is perfectly satisfied that there's no contradiction here.

EclGJDSVAAADldg.jpg

Message 109 of 186
(2,714 Views)
Sorry to add to the pedantry, but tst said "vertically centered". It takes some creativity to get a numeric indicator vertically centered on a much taller background. It could be done with the transparent indicator on top of a decoration.
0 Kudos
Message 110 of 186
(2,702 Views)