BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you consider the 'Pi' constant too obvious, I gotcha covered.

I read this article over lunch today, which, as a wannabe not really math guy, I found fascinating:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/even-after-22-trillion-digits-were-still-no-closer-to-the-end-o...

Within the article, they listed a formula by some joker named Ramanujan that has assisted in the calculation of trillions of digits of Pi:

wtf.png

My reactions upon seeing this formula:

Reaction #1: say wut

Reaction #2: no seriously, wtf

Reaction #3: There is no way that works, I gotta try it

So I wrote a VI (attached below, saved in LabVIEW 2014) to make sure a world-renowned mathematician wasn't just screwing with us:

ram.png

Turns out we only need three terms of the summation to reach the limits of the precision of the EXT type, which I found pretty funny.

All this to say, if you pride yourself on obfuscated code (which, believe it or not, some developers actually do), say hello to the new face of 'Pi' in LabVIEW!

Message 1 of 4
(4,926 Views)

I appreciate how the VI icon is literally the first google image result for "pie".

Also pretty interesting, the formula just looks like someone decided to throw a whole bunch of math symbols against a wall.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,797 Views)

Try this even crazier one discovered by the Chudnovsky brothers in 1987:

{\frac {1}{\pi }}={\frac {12}{640320^{3/2}}}\sum _{k=0}^{\infty }{\frac {(6k)!(13591409+545140134k)}{(3k)!(k!)^{3}(-640320)^{3k}}}.

Message 3 of 4
(4,497 Views)

@Darren wrote:

Within the article, they listed a formula by some joker named Ramanujan that has assisted in the calculation of trillions of digits of Pi:

I just spat my coffee over my keyboard at this line! 🙂
---
CLA
Message 4 of 4
(4,472 Views)