BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm old

Ben wrote:

* My wife was the system manager for a PDP11 running RSX11-M+ when I ment her. She claims it was our form of computer dating.

I guess you wrote love letters to each other on those rolls of punched tape?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 61 of 77
(8,580 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

Ben wrote:

* My wife was the system manager for a PDP11 running RSX11-M+ when I ment her. She claims it was our form of computer dating.

I guess you wrote love letters to each other on those rolls of punched tape?

/Y

If you scroll down in that wiki article to the image of the "fan fold paper tape" you can see the Digital logo.

No we did not write letter on paper tape (BTW: that image of teh punched paper showing CR and LF, seem wrong. I thought a character took two lines of paper holes...)

BUT,

We were out driving on a Friday night and we were passing the Pitt Computer center (they had a multi-acre computer room back then) and I asked and she agreed to stop in so she could see where all of her batch jobs were being processed. Only afterwards did she realize it was Valentines Day so to this day she claims I took her to the Pitt Computer Center on our first Valentines day date.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 62 of 77
(8,568 Views)

It is showing two lines for CR NL. What was your question Ben? The Data General paper tape image brought back memories of carrying a box of diagnostic programs on punched tape on the plane, with a "high speed" optical punched tape reader, to my various customer sites back in the late 70's. High speed was relative to the mechanical readers on the ASR33 teletypes that many of the systems had as their primary consoles. I'd plug it into the backplane, and toggle in a "bootloader program" through front panel switches. And you think booting Windows is painful!!! Then there were the times I loaded the diagnostics at my office, powered down, pulled the 15"X15" core memory card (16Kbyte) to carry to test the Data General Nova systems I supported. And for some really strange concepts on machines I worked on look down this link to the Nixdorf ROM core memory. It is from this type of experience, where I have seen the multitude of ideas in computers that have led to the current concepts (which was by no way guaranteed, would be totally different architectures if IBM hadn't decided to build "personal computers") that causes me to laugh when a scifi movie has someone walk up to an alien computer and figure it out. The Nixdorf computers I dealt with had highly modified IBM Selectric typewriters as I/O devices.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 63 of 77
(8,533 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:

It is showing two lines for CR NL. What was your question Ben? The Data General paper tape image brought back memories of carrying a box of diagnostic programs on punched tape on the plane, with a "high speed" optical punched tape reader, to my various customer sites back in the late 70's. High speed was relative to the mechanical readers on the ASR33 teletypes that many of the systems had as their primary consoles. I'd plug it into the backplane, and toggle in a "bootloader program" through front panel switches. And you think booting Windows is painful!!! Then there were the times I loaded the diagnostics at my office, powered down, pulled the 15"X15" core memory card (16Kbyte) to carry to test the Data General Nova systems I supported.

I still own a set of guages for the ASR33.

It was an exciting day when I hooked up the HS paper tape reader!

Booting the machine (asuming the code is not already in magnetic core)

1) Turn on computer.

2) Load Bootstrap loader tape inot paper tape reader.

3) manually toggle in the Boot routine.

4) Set PC (program counter) to address of first instruction.

5) Hit run (this started the clock in the computer)

6) Wait for paper tape to stop.

7) Load program tape in tape reader

😎 Set PC to first addres in boot strap loader.

9) Hit run to load the program.

10) Load config paper tape

11) Set offsett of config data

12) Run the boot strap loader again

13) Set start address of main program

14) Set PC to stat address of program

15) Start the computer

BTW: My wife's system was runnign RSX-11M and not the "plus" version. The plus version included ethernet and running ethernet and RSX-11M on a PDP-11/70 was a joke at best (CPU would be busy keeping up with the network).

And another BTW: RSX was techically a real-time OS and was used to run those early computer based production lines.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 64 of 77
(8,522 Views)

Sheesh, you guys are old!

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 65 of 77
(8,519 Views)

@elset191 wrote:

Sheesh, you guys are old!

Putnam, I think we are done here.

Ben

Message 66 of 77
(8,514 Views)

I turned 39 last month... and one fine day in the future, I will be old... but, for now, with this phrase "老吾老,以及人之老;幼吾幼,以及人之幼" in mind, I treat everyone... 

PS: not sure how "老吾老,以及人之老;幼吾幼,以及人之幼" be translated in to English... 

To the olds... my salutes!

Ian F
Since LabVIEW 5.1... 7.1.1... 2009, 2010, 2014
依恩与LabVIEW
LVVILIB.blogspot.com
Message 67 of 77
(8,419 Views)

I'm 65 now and I've seen all of the Harry Potter movies. I'm still waiting for the low fat banana split. all though, right now, I'm happy with the one Dairy Queen makes.

0 Kudos
Message 68 of 77
(8,039 Views)

@tbob wrote:

However, I know that is not the usual case with older guys.  Managment sees them as more costly, less productive due to health down time, and other things.  This is the place to vent your frustrations.  I've had my share of frustrations with being "let go" because my salary and vacation time were higher than the younger guys.  Of course this is discrimination, but it can't be proven in court.  One company even went as far as providing a list of people let go along with their ages to show that it wasn't age related.  They let go much younger guys to bring the average to the middle.  That was a parlor trick designed to skew the results.  Shame on them.

It's ofcourse the same situation in Sweden, though i dont really understand it at all! At 50+ there's not really any child care (dad's get 3 months parental leave and also get to use VAB, Care of Child, when the kid gets sick), experience is good (though sometimes too well ingrained (read stiff necked)) and the chance of them leaving for another job in 3 years is alot lower, so it's a good chance you'll keep them all the way to retirement.

As to layoffs, it's Last In First Out principle (by law), though you can get some exceptions which is good. There's workarounds to this, ofc. A Reorganization can move you to a new section, which is later scrapped totally ...

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 69 of 77
(8,013 Views)

lvpro didn't say trilobyte, he said trilobite.

0 Kudos
Message 70 of 77
(7,823 Views)