From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm old

This thread is at the request of Felix Schubert from a recent Darren;s Weekly Nugget thread that has gotten hijacked.  Now we don't want to do that to our favorite nugget maker Darren.  His nuggets are better than McDonalds chicken nuggets, and much more healthier.  Health is a big concern of us older folks.  So here is the new thread.

I'm 58 years old.  Somehow I've been very lucky when trying to find new employment.  The last 3 times I looked, I have had two offers to choose from.  I must have a really good resume.  I get calls from recruiters all the time.

However, I know that is not the usual case with older guys.  Managment sees them as more costly, less productive due to health down time, and other things.  This is the place to vent your frustrations.  I've had my share of frustrations with being "let go" because my salary and vacation time were higher than the younger guys.  Of course this is discrimination, but it can't be proven in court.  One company even went as far as providing a list of people let go along with their ages to show that it wasn't age related.  They let go much younger guys to bring the average to the middle.  That was a parlor trick designed to skew the results.  Shame on them.

I bring a wealth of knowledge wherever I go.  This is what I present when I go on a job interview.  I somehow convince the prospective employer that he gets what he pays for, and that I can do the job better than the younger guys because of my vast experience.  It doesn't hurt to have a CLD, and FCC license, being a member of this forum, and other extra curricula activites that show my knowledge, integrity, and will to exceed.  This is key to an older guy looking for employment.  You have got to show your worth over the less expensive options.  In these days where $$$$$s mean almost everything, it is not an easy task.  I thank the Lord every day that I am able to convince employers of my worth.  Good luck to all the older guys here who are struggling.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Message 1 of 77
(12,585 Views)

So how old do you have to be to answer this thread? I don't know if I feel old enought yet!!! Smiley Very Happy

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 77
(12,581 Views)

@aeastet wrote:

So how old do you have to be to answer this thread? I don't know if I feel old enought yet!!! Smiley Very Happy

Ya young whippersnapper.  If I was your granpa I'd take you out to the woodhsed.... Smiley Very Happy

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 77
(12,579 Views)

I will be 42 this year. I guess that I am still in the middle.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 77
(12,579 Views)

Toss me into the old bucket as well. I am 52.

Sometimes companies don't want to deal with people that have been around and know what other companies can be like. I investigated IBM years ago and they told me "we don't take retreds". That was a bummer and motivated me to hire on with the closest competitor to try and put them out of buisness (I was told by another DEC employee at the time "Ben, IBM grows one DEC every year. They make as much money in typewritter ribbons as DEC makes total."

So eventually DEC laid me off (too old making too much to fix computers) So I had to actuall break down and go to to college.

Afterwards there where a lot of interviews but only limited offers.

Never was good at "blowing my own horn" which is required to show experience.

But the only offer that mattered was to write LV full-time and well I have not moved since and hope to retire from here.

In the event I ever do get laid off, I'll be looking for some of you to act as a reference.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 77
(12,560 Views)

tbob,

I'm your age and lucky as well. I have not had problems finding jobs and when one of the places I worked underwent a large number of layoffs over a couple of years, I was actually the last to go before it out-sourced everything as a last, desperate measure to stay afloat (did not work). The jobs I've taken since then have shown appreciation for my experience and knowledge. In one case, even changing the job type from 'junior' to 'senior' engineer.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 77
(12,558 Views)

I am a couple of years older than Ben (You do the math!), but I have always been in academia.

I have no experience working for a company what-so-ever. 😄

Message 7 of 77
(12,555 Views)

I'm 60. I'd love to retire but my wife and I have so many medical bills that I've taken on a second job teach math at a local commuter college.Besides, I've still got a lot more to learn about LabVIEW. I am mostly blaming the economy for my inability to get out of the place I'm at and find another job. Most of my skills are in numerical analysis and there seems to be a lot more pigeons than there are pigeon holes lately. When the time comes, wifey wants to sell the house, buy a large motor home, and tour the country. Right now, I'd settle for understanding how the Agilent E3646A power supply works. I would like to live long enough to see the next two Harry Potter movies. I'd also like to be around when someone invents a good-tasting, low fat banana split.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 77
(12,511 Views)

I'm only 20, so I don't think I get to post here yet.

I'll be back in 30 years or so Smiley Wink

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 77
(12,506 Views)

@cory K wrote:

I'm only 20, so I don't think I get to post here yet.

I'll be back in 30 years or so Smiley Wink

Then no wonder you are a Yankees fan.  You don't even remember the last time the Yankees were a bad team.Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 77
(12,502 Views)