BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How technology affects us...

If we all voted for the candidates who we received the least amount of spam from, I'd bet it stop eventually.  That's probably not a very sound way to run a democracy though.  (Although, I wouldn't be surprised if I learned that the candidates I'd vote for send less paper spam.)

I can't remember the last time I used a landline outside of work.  (> half my work calls are on my cell too)  It was probably some time around 2005, while I was still in high school living at my parent's house, before I had a cell phone.  Whenever I visit home and the phone rings they never answer it because it's always spam of some sort.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 49
(11,599 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

The loss of landline phones. Except for the occasional call of my parents, it is now 99% fake surveys, election pitches, shady offers and outright scams (Yes, I have been registered on the national do not call list since its inception). Landline phones are now basically worthless (mine is actually VOIP, but that's a technicality). I think landline phones will disappear faster than the USPS.

I haven't had a landline in 8 years. We are even getting away from them where I work. Never looking back. I can't imagine what it's like to live in a schizo swing state like Ohio with a landline during an election year. Smiley Tongue

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 49
(11,590 Views)

PaulG. wrote:I can't imagine what it's like to live in a schizo swing state like Ohio with a landline during an election year. Smiley Tongue

My parents can tell you that it is painful.  They actually told the people to not call them or they will absolutely not get a vote.

The only reason they still have their landline is for my grandparents (they don't like to change things they have been doing).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 49
(11,588 Views)

One way that cell phone technology has affected me is that I don't remember new phone numbers anymore since they are in my contacts.

I do keep a printed list in my wallet as a backup in case my phone dies, but I can't recall the last time I referred to it.

The last time I got a new cellphone, the first thing I did was to press redial, it sorta kinda freaked out....

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 49
(11,582 Views)

I have not seen a single election flyer yet that told me what a candidate stands for. They all are telling me how bad the other people are. I call it "hate mail". 

I still think we deserve to pick the best candidate, not the one who's the least bad (which is what the advertising seems to be saying).

Rob

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 49
(11,567 Views)

RobCole@Work wrote:

I have not seen a single election flyer yet that told me what a candidate stands for. They all are telling me how bad the other people are. I call it "hate mail". 

I still think we deserve to pick the best candidate, not the one who's the least bad (which is what the advertising seems to be saying).

Rob

Good luck with that. Our political system and media have not been more corrupt in my lifetime.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 49
(11,548 Views)

Regarding landlines, we have buried phone cables here all the way back to the local exchange. In the event of a power cut, an old-school corded phone will still be fine to make calls, when the local cell tower will be down. That and it being a pre-requisite for a DSL connection are the only reasons we still use them.

Regarding snail mail spam, there's a particular jingoistic political party here that's been sending leaflets out to thousands and thousands of homes. Some bright spark realised you could send them back from whence they came using the party's own freepost service, at their cost. It's a little silly and petty - it's inefficiency all round - but it's potentially very satisfying to see it turn up in their letterbox!

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 49
(11,539 Views)

@thoult wrote:

Regarding landlines, we have buried phone cables here all the way back to the local exchange.

No such thing for me, because I am in a FIOS neighborhood. When they laid the fiber, they removed the copper completely. That was many years ago and I never had a situation where I wanted it back.

I am not sure about the argment, for example in the case of a big earthquake here (I am in Southern California ;)) it is equally probably that the local exchange goes down or the nearby cell tower. Also remember to keep a corded phone around, because cordless phones will stop working in a power failure too.

I you want to be really prepared, keep some lead-acid battery bank and a ham radio in the house... 😄

Message 18 of 49
(11,537 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@thoult wrote:

Regarding landlines, we have buried phone cables here all the way back to the local exchange.

No such thing for me, because I am in a FIOS neighborhood. When they laid the fiber, they removed the copper completely. That was many years ago and I never had a situation where I wanted it back.

I am not sure about the argment, for example in the case of a big earthquake here (I am in Southern California ;)) it is equally probably that the local exchange goes down or the nearby cell tower. Also remember to keep a corded phone around, because cordless phones will stop working in a power failure too.

I you want to be really prepared, keep some lead-acid battery bank and a ham radio in the house... 😄

Now that is an area were I am working now.

Two emergency gas generators.

Solar collectors

Wind turnbine

Spare generator for the water wheel to drive.

Working on a steam engine...

That in theory can be upgraded with a larger cylinder. It may power everything in the shop.

Watch the lead-acid bateries since core heating can affect their performance.

Deep-cylce are what you want.

You need a license to operate the HAM radio to do more than just listen.

Make sure you have food and water since delivery could impact food supplies. I suggest having enought for about eight people minimum for about a year and half. Last I looked the wife had enough spaghetti and sauce to feed a small army for a month before she has to resort to others stuff.

There may be other things that can be said about technology but at least we can say is eventually it will fail.

And if you are not experienced in growing your own food, store more while you make your mistakes. Good news. Seeds will often last more than a year if properly stored.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 19 of 49
(11,514 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

in the truck Smiley Tongue

2nd deep-cycle battery, 2kW suitcase generator in the bed, plus the truck's engine... VHF/UHF 50W mobile, plus a couple of handhelds... with the added bonus of being fully mobile...

...just so long as I have fuel.

and that's just into the truck... :umph

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 49
(11,490 Views)