cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How technology affects us...

That's just for one email account.... 

Message 1 of 49
(14,718 Views)

I applied for a job a few years ago that required me to email my resume', but their email server kept bouncing it back.  I eventually resorted to mailing them a hard-copy.  During my interview I was told that they wondered why a "technical guy" would use snail-mail instead of email.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 49
(14,703 Views)

And 3218 of those is nothing but SPAM.

I question some people anymore because they are constantly checking their email.  Why.  It is nothing but junk anyways.  Once a day suits me quite well.  Of course, I'm refering to home email.  Work email is important enough to leave open all day.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 49
(14,700 Views)

Interestingly, regular mail has basically turned into a spam delivery service. All my bills are electronic, so all I get are advertisements in the mail box. OTOH, e-mail has turned into a well filtered service where spam very rarely makes it into the inbox. 🙂

Regular mail is no longer useful for information delivery. It still does serve a purpose to deliver physical goods ordered on the internet. 😉

Message 4 of 49
(14,697 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Regular mail is no longer useful for information delivery. It still does serve a purpose to deliver physical goods ordered on the internet. 😉

An industry which, of course, has largely been privatized.  Not sure how much utility the USPS has left.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 5 of 49
(14,694 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Work email is important enough to leave open all day.

I check my work email 3 times a day, all email notifications are turn off, and I never have my Instant Messenger running. Constant interruptions are a prime cause of buggy software.

(14,681 Views)

@elset191 wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

An industry which, of course, has largely been privatized.  Not sure how much utility the USPS has left.

The USPS is actually quite competitive. I have used their small flat-rate boxes many times. There are also combined services, where only the local delivery is done by USPS (UPS SurePost, FEDEX Smartpost).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 49
(14,681 Views)

@elset191 wrote:

Take all the junk mail you get that has those business-reply envelopes in it and separate the envelopes from the junk.

Remove personal identification, leaving the "spam".
Shuffle the spam and the envelopes.  Visa to Mastercard, mastercard to chase, etc. 

Put the shuffled spam into the envelope, and drop the envelope(s) in the mailbox.

Message 8 of 49
(14,648 Views)

@SnowMule wrote:

Take all the junk mail you get that has those business-reply envelopes in it and separate the envelopes from the junk.

Remove personal identification, leaving the "spam".
Shuffle the spam and the envelopes.  Visa to Mastercard, mastercard to chase, etc. 

Put the shuffled spam into the envelope, and drop the envelope(s) in the mailbox.

If everyone did this, I wonder how long it would take for them to realize that it is just that spam!

Unfortunately... not to quote alpha.... but there is a high percentage of people who actually look forward to such spam... thinking that somewhere in the garbage of wasted trees, there is some form of happiness....  which is yet never found...

Some companies, including banks are now charging up to $2 per paper invoice / information (per month) that they send.  As people go to "on-line" billinb/banking, other than receiving the occasional package from amazon (which is usually delivered directly to the house) or some wedding invitation, or DVDs from NI, the rest is practically all spam. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 49
(14,610 Views)

We have an election coming up and the mail recently was at least 80% shiny fliers. why do they all think they look more impressive if it is printed on thick, high-gloss cardboard? They all could use 75% less fiber by switching to thin glossy paper, but nobody wants to go first. All of it goes traight to the recycling bin, what a waste.

This brings me to a very related shift in technology. The loss of landline phones. Except for the occasional call of my parents, it is now 99% fake surveys, election pitches, shady offers and outright scams (Yes, I have been registered on the national do not call list since its inception). Landline phones are now basically worthless (mine is actually VOIP, but that's a technicality). I think landline phones will disappear faster than the USPS.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 49
(14,590 Views)