From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many roundtrip translations did this take?

Similar to the telephone game, consecutive round-trip translations can be a source of entertainment.

Some machine translation systems are better than others. I just received a (spam) invitation to attend a conference that had the following butchered disclaimer at the bottom:

Disclaimer: This is not a spam message and has been sent to you because of your eminence in the province. If, however, you do not want to receive any email in future from EYE 2021 reply us with the subject "remove /unsubscribe". We concern for your concealment.

• What was the original language?
  • What translation software was used?
  • What would have been the correct translation? (province= area? concealment=privacy? etc.)
Message 1 of 5
(2,709 Views)

The conference is in Straßburg, so it makes sense if the original text was in German:

EYE 2020 | Jugend | Europäisches Parlament Verbindungsbüro in Österreich (europa.eu)

Province :  An area of knowledge, activity, or interest:

Eminence: A position of superiority, high rank or status, or fame.

So the intent was probably to tell you that you're an expert in your field.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,656 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

The conference is in Straßburg, so it makes sense if the original text was in German:

No, that's something completely different. My invitation was for some predatory conference in Ophthalmology (last year they were even spamming on reddit). In 2021 it is actually held online but with "Special discounts on registration fee for group registrations and students". What a scam!

Even their home page does not instill much confidence:

altenbach_0-1619020602409.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,639 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Similar to the mobile game, sequential departures and return can be a source of entertainment.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  (n=1)

As with the mobile game, the series changes and results can form the basis of the entertainment.

Hmm... not any clearer (n=3)

Since the mobile game in order to be able to change the results, and amusements.

Oh, gotcha!  (n=6)

Message 4 of 5
(2,602 Views)

Since Latin would have no word for telephone, (it is derived from Greek) you just have to try it out on this.  I  bet it pukes on parenthetical expressions and puke too.

😁😁

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,775 Views)