From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many LabVIEW panels are in this picture?

Ben asked:

How you YOU explain what you do to non-techies?

I usually give them a simplified version of what I would tell a techie, wait for their eyes to glass over and then remind them that for the most part it's just a bunch of 1's and 0's.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 31 of 43
(7,919 Views)

Ben asked:

I tell them I build the machines that build the crap you buy to look like you're tech savvy.
Rob
Message 32 of 43
(7,912 Views)

As I am a consultant/contractor, I tell them "I'm a migrant technical worker".

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 33 of 43
(7,901 Views)

I know what ya mean Ben,  it's easy to say "I build rockets!".  Its not so easy to say "I develop software in a specialized graphical progamming environment that automates various manufacturing, test, and laboratory applications".   Huh?

Message 34 of 43
(7,891 Views)

...and FYI, the SpaceX gig is indeed a great gig if you dont have a family waiting at home  Smiley Happy

That's the kind of thing everyone should get in on when they are young and carefree- change the world n'at.

Message 35 of 43
(7,890 Views)

Ben wrote:

Automate tests to make people's lives easier!

Or just say, I make it so that they don't have to hire you to watch a screen and click some buttons.

Message 36 of 43
(7,879 Views)

@Garvacious wrote:

...and FYI, the SpaceX gig is indeed a great gig if you dont have a family waiting at home  Smiley Happy

That's the kind of thing everyone should get in on when they are young and carefree- change the world n'at.

Spot on, all of them are under 26 years young.

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 43
(7,877 Views)
Message 38 of 43
(7,852 Views)

Ben wrote:

Curious,

Ben

I hate trying to answer that to non-techies. I have never been able to come up with a response that does not lead to 1000 additional questions. If I worked for SpaceX it would be easy. I would just say "I'm a rocket scientist" then crinkle my nose and walk away with my chin in the air and a weird frownish looking face.

I suspect that most people who write LabVIEW programs do it as a secondary function to their real job as an engineer or technician. For me it is secondary anyway. But to answer your question I usually just tell them that I make the Internet.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 39 of 43
(7,849 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Well, since I am doing research at an eye institute, I am finding a cure for blindness.

Everybody can "see" that. 😄

(... and it is actually true).

Message 40 of 43
(7,842 Views)