BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many LabVIEW panels are in this picture?

Ben asked:

How you YOU explain what you do to non-techies?

I usually give them a simplified version of what I would tell a techie, wait for their eyes to glass over and then remind them that for the most part it's just a bunch of 1's and 0's.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 31 of 43
(7,889 Views)

Ben asked:

I tell them I build the machines that build the crap you buy to look like you're tech savvy.
Rob
Message 32 of 43
(7,882 Views)

As I am a consultant/contractor, I tell them "I'm a migrant technical worker".

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 33 of 43
(7,871 Views)

I know what ya mean Ben,  it's easy to say "I build rockets!".  Its not so easy to say "I develop software in a specialized graphical progamming environment that automates various manufacturing, test, and laboratory applications".   Huh?

Message 34 of 43
(7,861 Views)

...and FYI, the SpaceX gig is indeed a great gig if you dont have a family waiting at home  Smiley Happy

That's the kind of thing everyone should get in on when they are young and carefree- change the world n'at.

Message 35 of 43
(7,860 Views)

Ben wrote:

Automate tests to make people's lives easier!

Or just say, I make it so that they don't have to hire you to watch a screen and click some buttons.

Message 36 of 43
(7,849 Views)

@Garvacious wrote:

...and FYI, the SpaceX gig is indeed a great gig if you dont have a family waiting at home  Smiley Happy

That's the kind of thing everyone should get in on when they are young and carefree- change the world n'at.

Spot on, all of them are under 26 years young.

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 43
(7,847 Views)
Message 38 of 43
(7,822 Views)

Ben wrote:

Curious,

Ben

I hate trying to answer that to non-techies. I have never been able to come up with a response that does not lead to 1000 additional questions. If I worked for SpaceX it would be easy. I would just say "I'm a rocket scientist" then crinkle my nose and walk away with my chin in the air and a weird frownish looking face.

I suspect that most people who write LabVIEW programs do it as a secondary function to their real job as an engineer or technician. For me it is secondary anyway. But to answer your question I usually just tell them that I make the Internet.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 39 of 43
(7,819 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Well, since I am doing research at an eye institute, I am finding a cure for blindness.

Everybody can "see" that. 😄

(... and it is actually true).

Message 40 of 43
(7,812 Views)