BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homework Policy

I know there is a general consensus here that we will not do people's homework (or work) for them.  Lately, there's been a lot of questions that look a lot like homework.  How do you all deal with the "homework" questions?

I remember one time, somebody made the most obfuscated code I have seen for somebody to turn in.  I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

I generally ignore them.  But I decided to have a little more fun with this one.

Feel free to share how you are "torturing" these poor students.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 1 of 9
(11,362 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

I know there is a general consensus here that we will not do people's homework (or work) for them.  Lately, there's been a lot of questions that look a lot like homework.  How do you all deal with the "homework" questions?

I remember one time, somebody made the most obfuscated code I have seen for somebody to turn in.  I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

I generally ignore them.  But I decided to have a little more fun with this one.

Feel free to share how you are "torturing" these poor students.

It is probably torture enough for them to realize what they are asking is easy and we will not do it for them.

I avoid those threads if I spot them as homework-hustlers.

Since I rarely post code and more often than not only show images, I can easily avoid writing their code from them.

Answer there question as best we can without doing the work and pray that they learn before they take up occupancy in the cubicle next to us.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 9
(11,357 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

I know there is a general consensus here that we will not do people's homework (or work) for them.  Lately, there's been a lot of questions that look a lot like homework.

It isn't lately. It's every single year/semester. Stick around for a while. You'll see. Smiley Wink They get easier to spot. Especially when there's multiple people asking the same question, since they're all working on the same problem. Smiley Very Happy

How do you all deal with the "homework" questions?

Personally, I won't provide code. I will answer the post indicating that either I know it's homework, or it looks suspiciously like homework. The reason I do this is twofold:

1. There's a lot of members who want to post solutions, and will post a solution without realizing that they're just doing somebody's homework. Of course, sometimes these folks will still do this, but that's their business.
  2. I want them poster to realize we know it's homework so they don't think they can "get away with it". That's my part of "torturing". Smiley Wink The fact that I was a teaching assistant in grad school might have something to do with this, I guess. Or, I could just be a hard-a**. 

Message 3 of 9
(11,337 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

I know there is a general consensus here that we will not do people's homework (or work) for them.  Lately, there's been a lot of questions that look a lot like homework.

It isn't lately. It's every single year/semester. Stick around for a while. You'll see. Smiley Wink They get easier to spot. Especially when there's multiple people asking the same question, since they're all working on the same problem. Smiley Very Happy

How do you all deal with the "homework" questions?

Personally, I won't provide code. I will answer the post indicating that either I know it's homework, or it looks suspiciously like homework. The reason I do this is twofold:

1. There's a lot of members who want to post solutions, and will post a solution without realizing that they're just doing somebody's homework. Of course, sometimes these folks will still do this, but that's their business.
  2. I want them poster to realize we know it's homework so they don't think they can "get away with it". That's my part of "torturing". Smiley Wink The fact that I was a teaching assistant in grad school might have something to do with this, I guess. Or, I could just be a hard-a**. 

my policy:

I have never attended university.

I make a good living as a "Test Engineer" by having done that type of work for several years.

I do have "the teaching gene" (and will share the thought processes that lead to solutions)

I will tag, "homework" threads and ask leading questions.

I will not allow a "Bad" solution to be passed off- while I can fix it!

IIIntentionally obfuscated code grates my nerves- RG code is bad enough and "feature ridden" code must be corrected with the least pain to the "solution provider" as is necessary.  E.G.

Students DO have a desire to learn (well, most of them) I choose to help the learning process as best I can.

Just MHO

and pray that they learn before they take up occupancy in the cubicle next to us.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 9
(11,314 Views)

This isn't even a subtle solicitation; a quick search suggests that this is for a Purdue course.  I bid on the job :), but probably won't get it. 😞

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 5 of 9
(8,186 Views)

$10 - $30 dollar budget! LOL. Then again, this person will make good management material, will have experience finding resources!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(8,171 Views)

I'd like to know how much BBQ ~jiggawax~ has received over the years for doing other people's homework Smiley Happy

Charlie Rodway | Principal Software Engineer | Certified TestStand Architect (CTA)

Computer Controlled Solutions Ltd | NI Silver Alliance Partner | GDevCon#1 Sponsor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(8,167 Views)

My last two years of college I worked in the physics tutor room. I would get physics and engineering students show up specifically to ask for help with homework.  This is expected and not a bad thing.

The correct way is to guide the student to an answer, not give it to them.  When I run into these threads (assuming someone doesn't just give them the answer) I will usually request at minimum an attempt.  Something along the lines of

"Post what you've tried so far and we'll go from there".

If they respond then with "I have no idea where to start" I'll usually link a help file or two that will push them in the right direction.

If they post code then it is easy. Help them debug and explain what is wrong again without giving them the answer.  The amount of help I'm willing to give is proportional to the amount of effort I see the student put in.

Message 8 of 9
(8,089 Views)

My real issue is this late in most school's semesters I have to wonder if the requested program help is a last minute finishing a long project that just got started. I will admit working all night in Link Hall at Syracuse Univ., to submit my APL program by the 6:00AM Saturday deadline when I had a week to do it, but I was a grown up, with a full time job, and two small kids at home. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(8,073 Views)