From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey, Ben...

I'm from Europe and afaik we don't have these regulations regarding bad days (we don't allow woodburning in new construction tho).

I live in "suburbs" with a lot of old houses and farms which mainly burn wood for heat during winter, you could actually smell the smoke on the worst days.

Message 21 of 24
(1,418 Views)

Hey, Ben!  I've finally found (diligently looked for, really) a farm supply store that has all of the ingredients for Steve Solomon's Complete Organic Fertilizer.  Have you tried it?  I'm optimistic.  I believe I first encountered this based on your recommendation of his first book (Gardening When it Counts).

Anyone else ever heard of or tried it?

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 22 of 24
(1,254 Views)

Steve wrote that it tour soil is really bad, just have it trucked in. I did exactly that. Neighbors were convinced I would never use all or it. I did.

The landscape supply place I use sells something that is called special mix. I think it it is mushroom compost and leaf something... The smell of it reminds me of the elephant house at the zoo. I add bone meal for root crops and blood meal for above ground crops.

I need to get some fresh stuff but I am going to replace all of my raised beds soon.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 24
(1,205 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Steve wrote that it tour soil is really bad, just have it trucked in. I did exactly that. Neighbors were convinced I would never use all or it. I did.

The landscape supply place I use sells something that is called special mix. I think it it is mushroom compost and leaf something... The smell of it reminds me of the elephant house at the zoo. I add bone meal for root crops and blood meal for above ground crops.

I need to get some fresh stuff but I am going to replace all of my raised beds soon.

Ben

I have a cousin in MN that owns a nursery (plants, not children).  He makes his own soil.  The bulkiest component is some waste matter from ( lumber mills? If I remember correctly) he gets it free to haul away.  That makes his soil "Dirt cheap" but, requires some composting time on site.  Seams like a good pepper trivia tidbit.

I am not in his business so, I didn't take good notes as he gave me a guided tour.  However, you may attempt contacting local large-scale nursery services and asking.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 24 of 24
(1,193 Views)