From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy retirement, JeffK! (appreciation thread)

NI announced today on Facebook that JeffK, the Father of LabVIEW, is retiring. Let's use this thread to post our appreciation for what Jeff has done for us, and the world. For me, it's pretty simple... JeffK's invention has allowed me to have a very rewarding, lucrative career as a LabVIEW programmer over the past 23 years, and hopefully many more. Thank you Jeff for LabVIEW, and everything else you've given to the world over the past 50 years! We all know you'll continue to program in LabVIEW in your retirement, so don't be a stranger on the forums!

Message 1 of 15
(4,830 Views)

For those of us in Austin, we'll be sure to wave as we float by as you play with your 'telescope'  
(his house is the one seen through the bridge arch) (and his 'telescope' is an amazing observatory)
PXL_20210118_171240335.jpg

Message 2 of 15
(4,821 Views)

The creation of LabVIEW, and its continued innovation over the years has made a career for myself and many I know.  It is hard to imagine what I would be doing or where I would be if LabVIEW hadn't existed.  Thanks Jeff.  He has also always been an enthusiastic person to talk to, on the subject of technology.  And I've enjoyed the chances to talk to a real LabVIEW celebrity.

Now that he is retired, he should present at NI Week/Connect.  It would probably set session attendance records.

Message 3 of 15
(4,796 Views)

LabVIEW has made graphical programming viable (there were many other attempts that mostly failed) and the implementation is pure genius! If you look at the original patent filings, you can see that the graphical syntax was basically all there from the very beginning. Jeff is a true visionary!

altenbach_0-1657915333749.png

Having loops where you can see with one glance what's "inside" or "outside" was a revelation when I first stared with LabVIEW 4.0. Being able to easily create fully parallel code (acquire data, analyze some other data, create reports, etc. all at the same time and in the same single UI!) on a 100MHz Pentium 1 was amazing back in ~1995.

I truly appreciate the efforts to make LabVIEW a perfect tool for hardware free pure scientific computing (as I mostly use it!). We have all the tools to get started (linear algebra, fitting, fancy transforms, etc. etc.). This is not universally known and unfortunately not how LabVIEW is presented in the sales literature. My purpose in life is to prove that LabVIEW is the correct tool for these things, even though NI can't sell any hardware for that. Still, Everything being equal, users like me can help improve typical LabVIEW programs and advance the curve. There is never any need to export data and analyze in some other weird language (MATLAB, Fortran, C++, etc.), everything can be done right in the acquisition program, even while data is still being acquired.

I am never getting tired programming in LabVIEW because it is such a rewarding experience and fun too! Everything I try to do succeeds quickly, algorithms work, and I automatically get a UI for free! Thank you so much for providing me with a fulfilling programming life!

In summary, congratulations Jeff to your retirement (but I suspect that it will filled with both new endeavors and continuation of existing interests). I hope we can meet again in the future.

Message 4 of 15
(4,778 Views)

Congratulations Mr. Kodosky,

You can be proud of 46 years of accomplishments and we thank you for it.  It must have been quite the challenge to create a new "graphical" language (beyond a novel idea) that so many have loved using over the years.  Thank you for all your dedication and perseverance to guide LabVIEW to what it is today.  You have helped many people become successful in their career - that alone is worth celebrating!

We are probably the most critical customers and users of LabVIEW and thank you for listening to those of us who provided comments and feedback not necessarily in the kindest of manners.  We are "grumpy old men" after all.  😏 I truly enjoy programming with LabVIEW and it is my first choice of languages when developing personal projects.

I have a nice bottle of wine from Truchard vineyard (2014 Cabernet Sauvignon) that I will open in your honor.  It would be great to share it with you and fellow LabVIEW Enthusiasts.

CabernetSauvignon.png

It is important to spend time with family & friends.  If your travels take you to Canada's capital city, please let me know and feel free to reach out anytime, even to say hello.  I am sure that your hobbies will keep you busy and suspect they might be "technical" in nature.

You are leaving a wonderful legacy with NI that will be around for many years.

Best Wishes for a Happy Retirement!

RayR

Message 5 of 15
(4,726 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

LabVIEW has made graphical programming viable (there were many other attempts that mostly failed) and the implementation is pure genius! If you look at the original patent filings, you can see that the graphical syntax was basically all there from the very beginning. Jeff is a true visionary!

altenbach_0-1657915333749.png

Having loops where you can see with one glance what's "inside" or "outside" was a revelation when I first stared with LabVIEW 4.0. Being able to easily create fully parallel code (acquire data, analyze some other data, create reports, etc. all at the same time and in the same single UI!) on a 100MHz Pentium 1 was amazing back in ~1995.

I truly appreciate the efforts to make LabVIEW a perfect tool for hardware free pure scientific computing (as I mostly use it!). We have all the tools to get started (linear algebra, fitting, fancy transforms, etc. etc.). This is not universally known and unfortunately not how LabVIEW is presented in the sales literature. My purpose in life is to prove that LabVIEW is the correct tool for these things, even though NI can't sell any hardware for that. Still, Everything being equal, users like me can help improve typical LabVIEW programs and advance the curve. There is never any need to export data and analyze in some other weird language (MATLAB, Fortran, C++, etc.), everything can be done right in the acquisition program, even while data is still being acquired.

I am never getting tired programming in LabVIEW because it is such a rewarding experience and fun too! Everything I try to do succeeds quickly, algorithms work, and I automatically get a UI for free! Thank you so much for providing me with a fulfilling programming life!

In summary, congratulations Jeff to your retirement (but I suspect that it will filled with both new endeavors and continuation of existing interests). I hope we can meet again in the future.

I too started using LabVIEW using LabVIEW with version 4.0 as well. the fond days of loading a stack of floppies to install LabVIEW. I come from the world of computer science and like you, rarely use any hardware with my applications. I use LabVIEW purely as a general purpose programming language. I remember learning about data flow very early in my career prior to my even knowing LabVIEW existed. It was the current buzz in CS and everyone was excited about trying it. The major problem was that no text based language could really support implementing a data flow application. A few years later I was exposed to LabVIEW and the rest is history. The data flow concept is such a pure method to define a system yet to this day text based languages simply can't do it. At least not without a lot of effort from the developers.

I still dream of the day when LabVIEW, or at least a graphical language, is the dominant programming language.

Thank you Jeff for such a fantastic contribution to the computing world.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 6 of 15
(4,516 Views)

I was also impressed the first time I saw code written in an early beta of LV and how it looked identical to the same code written in a version which was released a couple of decades later. It was a design I still like today.

Enjoy your retirement.

Congratulations and thank you for LabVIEW.  It has helped me as an engineer and as a programmer in so many ways.  My only regret at this point is how National Instruments and LabVIEW support have deteriorated over the last 5 years.  Perhaps this is a good time to retire before the company gets any worse.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,225 Views)

I hadn't really used LabVIEW before joining NI but Jeff K was still one of the reasons I decided to join the company. I figured any company the size of NI where one of the founders started as an engineer and was still focused on their engineering work 35+ years later would be a good fit for me.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 9 of 15
(4,175 Views)

Hi Jeff,

We never met but I would like to thank you for the great product and joy you gave me working with LabVIEW.

When I quit the job I worked for a long time and a lot with LabVIEW they had the slogan 'Technolgy with vision'.

They even made me a present... 'but LabVIEW with Passion!' and 15 years later I still feel the same way!

Thank you and happy retirement!

beuvink_0-1659364592004.png

---

25+ years long fan of LabVIEW. Be aware that NI changed their business model with great impact .
Message 10 of 15
(3,930 Views)