BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP, err, Agilent, has a new name…

I was actually referring to EG&G/Applera/Celera. Physical Electronics is before my time, although I will ask my folks about it when I next see them.

Perkin-Elmer was bought by EG&G, who then restructured some of the divisions. Life Sciences went one way, Analytical Sciences another. Cue plenty of name changes, including the hyphen going walkies.

Of course, they also bought a DMA machine from Triton and rebadged it as a Perkin-Elmer device. That's my least favourite type of rebranding - Bruker have done it a few times as well with other companies.

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(4,520 Views)

I was just wondering who gets some of the equipment. For instance HP/Agilent make test equipment and life sciences that can use the GPIB bus. So will we see GPIB board with both the Agilent and Keysight name on them? Some of each? Will I need to load an Agilent driver and a Keysight driver to do the same things?

This will be interesting to watch (I said "watch" not "approve" - because I decidedly do not approve of the new name).

Rob

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(4,464 Views)

RobCole@Work wrote:

I was just wondering who gets some of the equipment. For instance HP/Agilent make test equipment and life sciences that can use the GPIB bus. So will we see GPIB board with both the Agilent and Keysight name on them? Some of each? Will I need to load an Agilent driver and a Keysight driver to do the same things?

This will be interesting to watch (I said "watch" not "approve" - because I decidedly do not approve of the new name).

Rob

Well, both e-mails I recieved state I can continue to expect the same customer support.  So, the Keysight I/O Librarys will probably be just as bad and no-one will address any issues.  (Really, its a shame they won't take the opportunity to improve the customer support.  There are plenty of opportunities)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(4,456 Views)

I presume one company will take "Ownership" of the libraries and conspire to deliver zero support.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(4,454 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

My last project had me working on a test system that contained an Agilent 6680 5000W Power supply. The wires that ran out of her were the size of garden hoses and carried 800A. She was a beast. Whenever I turned on the system I would say: "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!" 

I laughed out loud. 🙂

Also, hate the new name.

____
Ryan R.
R&D
Message 15 of 15
(4,343 Views)