BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Good Morning NI - I'm here..

Goodddd day everyone. I'm installing LV2012 SP1, thus halting all LabVIEW work. Yawn. Anyone else twiddling their thumbs currently?

0 Kudos
Message 471 of 497
(9,609 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

Goodddd day everyone. I'm installing LV2012 SP1, thus halting all LabVIEW work. Yawn. Anyone else twiddling their thumbs currently?


I was doing that last week (Wednesday AND Thursday).  I was installing stuff on both of my work computers at the same time.


GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 472 of 497
(9,606 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@for(imstuck) wrote:

Goodddd day everyone. I'm installing LV2012 SP1, thus halting all LabVIEW work. Yawn. Anyone else twiddling their thumbs currently?


I was doing that last week (Wednesday AND Thursday).  I was installing stuff on both of my work computers at the same time.


I've taken more and more to using a VirtualBox environment for each of my LabVIEW installations, and indeed now more and more a clone is created for each of my projects to keep them totally isolated from one another. So when a Service Pack comes out I end up having to launch a number of Virtual Boxes to perform multiple upgrades at once. Thank goodness for multi-core laptops! Smiley Very Happy

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)


0 Kudos
Message 473 of 497
(9,579 Views)

@Thoric wrote:
I've taken more and more to using a VirtualBox environment for each of my LabVIEW installations, and indeed now more and more a clone is created for each of my projects to keep them totally isolated from one another. So when a Service Pack comes out I end up having to launch a number of Virtual Boxes to perform multiple upgrades at once. Thank goodness for multi-core laptops! Smiley Very Happy

This is the best approach.

 

IF only it wasn't against LabVIEW's EULA........

 

Spoiler
We're all cirminals!

 

 

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 474 of 497
(9,562 Views)

@Thoric wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

@for(imstuck) wrote:

Goodddd day everyone. I'm installing LV2012 SP1, thus halting all LabVIEW work. Yawn. Anyone else twiddling their thumbs currently?


I was doing that last week (Wednesday AND Thursday).  I was installing stuff on both of my work computers at the same time.


I've taken more and more to using a VirtualBox environment for each of my LabVIEW installations, and indeed now more and more a clone is created for each of my projects to keep them totally isolated from one another. So when a Service Pack comes out I end up having to launch a number of Virtual Boxes to perform multiple upgrades at once. Thank goodness for multi-core laptops! Smiley Very Happy


How's that working out?

 

I've got Oracle's VM VitualBox installed on this machine.  I never thought of trying it with LabVIEW.  Same question about using LabVIEW with WINE in Linux.

0 Kudos
Message 475 of 497
(9,519 Views)

Well, as far as using LabVIEW in a VM VirtualBox, it does disconnect you from the hardware (DAQ cards, etc.) that are installed, unless I've missed a big oops! It does allow you to mess around with code, have multiple versions available without the concern of drivers overwritting or "messing" with preinstalled ones.

 

 

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5


LabVIEW Champion



0 Kudos
Message 476 of 497
(9,562 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:

Well, as far as using LabVIEW in a VM VirtualBox, it does disconnect you from the hardware (DAQ cards, etc.) that are installed,

 

 



That was my concern...  😞

0 Kudos
Message 477 of 497
(9,534 Views)

Unless it's USB hardware in which case you can still use them in Virtualbox.

 

I know there were discussions on PCI passthrough for Virtualbox, but it's not something which has been implemented.  I'm not aware as to whether something like that is even possible.....

 

-EDIT- Looks like they're still working on it and have some experimental systems.....  Maybe in a few years.

0 Kudos
Message 478 of 497
(9,520 Views)

I was just looking into the VT-d (Intel) and AMD-Vi a.k.a. IOMMU technologies.

 

These are chipset and CPU technologies to actually reserve system devices (PCI or PCI-E devices) for a virtual guest even if the host does not have drivers.  IT is NOT the normal virtualisation support you need to be able to run 64-bit guests on 64-bit hosts.

 

This sounds like a great technology.  Virtualbox supports it currently only on certain Linux hosts but the hardware testing possibilities are amazing.

 

On a side note: Unlocked Core i7s (the ones with "k" in the name) are great for overclocking (FPGA Compiles!!!) but lack the VT-d technology.  I'm currently split on which version to go for for my next PC.....

0 Kudos
Message 479 of 497
(9,506 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

@Thoric wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

@for(imstuck) wrote:

Goodddd day everyone. I'm installing LV2012 SP1, thus halting all LabVIEW work. Yawn. Anyone else twiddling their thumbs currently?


I was doing that last week (Wednesday AND Thursday).  I was installing stuff on both of my work computers at the same time.


I've taken more and more to using a VirtualBox environment for each of my LabVIEW installations, and indeed now more and more a clone is created for each of my projects to keep them totally isolated from one another. So when a Service Pack comes out I end up having to launch a number of Virtual Boxes to perform multiple upgrades at once. Thank goodness for multi-core laptops! Smiley Very Happy


How's that working out?

 

I've got Oracle's VM VitualBox installed on this machine.  I never thought of trying it with LabVIEW.  Same question about using LabVIEW with WINE in Linux.


It works great. I find the latest releases (last year or so) have improved USB pass-through, so I'm able to talk to all my external products, include NI USB hardware. Although I should probably state that I once had some trouble with a USB DAQ device, which mean rebooting the virtual OS in order for the pass-through to work. I haven't had a USB device-based project in a while so things might be better now.

 

With regards to performance, the guest OS's are entriely unaware of their 'hostedness' and run smoothly. You can even accommodate multiple screens now, so my two-monitor setup can be used. The ability to Pause and Save State is far better than the Windows hibernate feature, so I can very easily halt what I'm doing, save the state to disc (takes about 5 seconds), shutdown my laptop, go home, open laptop, restore the VIrtual Box (in about 10 seconds) and continue where I left off.

 

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)


0 Kudos
Message 480 of 497
(9,472 Views)